Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

@MayL, I've just added a note on tyres. An important point!
P.S. Later, you might add a 604 Wh battery to Vado for some CAD1100.
well Vado is out....availability is gone in the 4 step thru so I’ve pulled the trigger on the local guys building the OHM. But extra battery perhaps later.....hopefully when I’ve become a little more seasoned....or weathered😂
Many thanks to you and the other great people on this forum for the excellent advice and technical info and support!

well Vado is out....availability is gone in the 4 step thru so I’ve pulled the trigger on the local guys building the OHM. But extra battery perhaps later.....hopefully when I’ve become a little more seasoned....or weathered😂
Many thanks to you and the other great people on this forum for the excellent advice and technical info and support!
Ride on!...😎

What model (and color) did you pick?

Congratulations, @MayL! The Quest seems to be a good e-bike and it looks very nice!
Ohm is your local company so you would have a direct support. Many happy kilometres!

Congratulations, @MayL! The Quest seems to be a good e-bike and it looks very nice!
Ohm is your local company so you would have a direct support. Many happy kilometres!
Thank you very much Stefan. The lads there have been very helpful and patient and that sure goes a long way to building confidence in their customer support going forward. The bike shopping experience was less than delightful elsewhere with lineups, product disappearing and conflicting info from staff. So glad thats over! And so glad I found you all here with the best advice!

Really looking forward to hearing about the ride. I think you've made a good choice, especially in regards to supporting a local business. They've been around for a while and it sure sounds like they should continue to be there to support you. Heck, the way that bike availability is these days, they may be supporting me too.

On another, seperate note, I sure enjoy the friendly banter on this forum. It's a welcome change from real life these days!

Ride on...

After much testing it was determined my new Vado 4.0 needed a new battery, it arrived and I picked it up on 5/18. I've only been out a few times as it has been raining about every day here in Indianapolis. No Error code so the replacement battery resolved the issue. I'm glad I bought a step thru model as it does make it easier to get on and off. I need to get more miles on it before I decide if modifications are necessary. Seat suspension and getting the bars up a bit are the two items being considered, but need to ride more to be sure. The seat suspension seems like a nice improvement as I fine myself lifting off the seat for bumps in the road. I went for a evening ride the other night to check out the head light; it seemed fairly decent. If I find myself riding much at night additional lighting would be better/safer. Perhaps the builtin aimed out as it is and a second aimed down. It is fun to ride!

After much testing it was determined my new Vado 4.0 needed a new battery, it arrived and I picked it up on 5/18. I've only been out a few times as it has been raining about every day here in Indianapolis. No Error code so the replacement battery resolved the issue. I'm glad I bought a step thru model as it does make it easier to get on and off. I need to get more miles on it before I decide if modifications are necessary. Seat suspension and getting the bars up a bit are the two items being considered, but need to ride more to be sure. The seat suspension seems like a nice improvement as I fine myself lifting off the seat for bumps in the road. I went for a evening ride the other night to check out the head light; it seemed fairly decent. If I find myself riding much at night additional lighting would be better/safer. Perhaps the builtin aimed out as it is and a second aimed down. It is fun to ride!
I had a test ride with the Kinekt suspension seat post and really liked it. Have ordered one but its pricey at $300. Hoping to find advice here about optional comfortable seats that may be more inexpensive.

Really looking forward to hearing about the ride. I think you've made a good choice, especially in regards to supporting a local business. They've been around for a while and it sure sounds like they should continue to be there to support you. Heck, the way that bike availability is these days, they may be supporting me too.

On another, seperate note, I sure enjoy the friendly banter on this forum. It's a welcome change from real life these days!

Ride on...
Thanks! Will def do a follow up although I don’t get the bike for another month.
Best banter right here!

Finally, I have found the right water-bottle-cage for my Vado (Topeak DualSide Cage). The benefit is I can remove and replace the battery even with the cage on (had problems with other cages before); even long bottles fit, and I can manipulate the bottle from a side. The drawbacks are I actually need yet another cage for the spare battery, and the battery wouldn't fit in the Ortlieb E-mate pannier anymore.

Is that kind of a disposable water bottle popular in your area?

1590809555883.png

I have found the Specialized Roll Cage to be a very effective piece of kit. The metal 'cage' itself is separate from the plastic base so that you can install it right entry, left entry or top entry. I bought about 4 or 5 of them when Specialized had them on sale. Seems like a side entry cage would be best for your low step frame?

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/roll-cage/p/155437?color=229513-155437&searchText=43116-3004

I just use a standard bike water bottle instead of a disposable one.

Topeak is double side, so you can mount it for the preferred hand. The side entry cage is the only that fits, since the space above the battery is dramatically reduced. You also need to be able to replace the battery with the cage on!

My e-MTB posed even more problems: there is so little space below the top tube you not only need a side entry cage but also only a standard short water bottle fits. Which is a pity, because our water bottles are half-litre only. The disposable bottle holds 0.7 l, and typically I drink the contents of two such bottles on a longer ride. The Polish company OSHEE came to the market with the long bottle several years ago, and there are several competitors now. The isotonic drink is very cheap and you can buy it any gas station. Standard water bottle means more complication (washing, refilling, small size etc).

P.S. The Specialized Rib Cage is a disaster here: completely useless.

My e-MTB posed even more problems: there is so little space below the top tube you not only need a side entry cage but also only a standard short water bottle fits. Which is a pity, because our water bottles are half-litre only. The disposable bottle holds 0.7 l, and typically I drink the contents of two such bottles on a longer ride. The Polish company OSHEE came to the market with the long bottle several years ago, and there are several competitors now. The isotonic drink is very cheap and you can buy it any gas station. Standard water bottle means more complication (washing, refilling, small size etc).

P.S. The Specialized Rib Cage is a disaster here: completely useless.

Seat post bottle holder? https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/water-bottle-cage-braze-ons.215/post-1937

Made a thread of it, thought I'd share here. New bike to get back and forth to the shop with Vado 5.0, carbon post sized down to 27.2, upped the preload, handbuilt wheels

Attachments

• IMG_20200529_174610188.jpg
    IMG_20200529_174610188.jpg
    776.7 KB · Views: 372
Back