Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

Dr.V said:

BTW, I've noticed the battery charger seems to be getting really warm, almost hot, when I charge the Como (brand new - got it in April). Anyone else notice that with their specialized chargers? (my chargers for my other bike/battery only get mildly warm if that).

It's fairy normal. The charger is 4 A and can get very warm when it pours the juice into the battery. Just don't cover the charger.

I don't see what the charger being 4 amps has to do with this as I have two other chargers which are 4 amp and 3.5 amp for different batteries and neither one gets anywhere near this hot - anyone else notice their vado/como chargers getting really hot when charging?

I d
Dr.V said:

BTW, I've noticed the battery charger seems to be getting really warm, almost hot, when I charge the Como (brand new - got it in April). Anyone else notice that with their specialized chargers? (my chargers for my other bike/battery only get mildly warm if that).

I don't see what the charger being 4 amps has to do with this as I have two other chargers which are 4 amp and 3.5 amp for different batteries and neither one gets anywhere near this hot - anyone else notice their vado/como chargers getting really hot when charging?

I did a long charge on my 5.0 using a 2 amp charger yesterday and noticed it was very hot. Almost to the point of not being able to touch parts of it.

I d

I did a long charge on my 5.0 using a 2 amp charger yesterday and noticed it was very hot. Almost to the point of not being able to touch parts of it.
Agreed the 2 amp Como charger gets hot, like an old incandescent light bulb. Not too hot to pick up, but need to put it down pretty quickly.

I just charged my new Como 5.0 for the first time today. Took about 4.5 hours. The charger was warm but I wouldn't say it was hot.

Thank for the responses - yes the US como 4 charger is 4 amps and no it doesn't have a fan - that must be the problem (my other two ebike battery chargers have fans). Thanks again!!

My Vado 5 pack was at 43% charge at the end of this morning's ride. The charger is on a raised wooden shelf. Curious as to how warm it gets I took periodic measurements of the warmest spot I could find on the top of the case using a contactless IR thermometer. This was about 1 inch in from each edge near the AC power cord connection.

I leave the charger connected when it's not in use. The reading at time = 0 is just before charging started. Ambient was 76.1°F.

t= 0; 79.1°F; 42% charge
t= 2; 86.0°F; 43%
t= 20; 115.7°F; 53%
t= 40; 132.8°F; 64%
t= 72; 141.2°F; 79%
t=110; 148.4°F; 94%
t=125; 140.1°F; 98%

I stopped taking readings at t=125 minutes when the case temperature dropped. Ambient was unchanged.

At over 140°F, the case is uncomfortable to hold. As the OP said, really warm and almost hot. Since it isn't fan cooled it's not too far out there though. IMHO, the case could benefit from good vent openings. I'm guessing they were going for more dust and moisture protection vs lower temps.

I know, TMI. Can't help it...😎

4A charger on my Vado 4.0 gets toasty. That’s about 157°F.
678366D4-3DFF-4BC6-899A-FD5A839A968C.jpeg

My plan is to not touch it while it’s charging. Just wanted to document that even the 4A charger gets hot during a charge.

My Vado 5 pack was at 43% charge at the end of this morning's ride. The charger is on a raised wooden shelf. Curious as to how warm it gets I took periodic measurements of the warmest spot I could find on the top of the case using a contactless IR thermometer. This was about 1 inch in from each edge near the AC power cord connection.

I leave the charger connected when it's not in use. The reading at time = 0 is just before charging started. Ambient was 76.1°F.

t= 0; 79.1°F; 42% charge
t= 2; 86.0°F; 43%
t= 20; 115.7°F; 53%
t= 40; 132.8°F; 64%
t= 72; 141.2°F; 79%
t=110; 148.4°F; 94%
t=125; 140.1°F; 98%

I stopped taking readings at t=125 minutes when the case temperature dropped. Ambient was unchanged.

At over 140°F, the case is uncomfortable to hold. As the OP said, really warm and almost hot. Since it isn't fan cooled it's not too far out there though. IMHO, the case could benefit from good vent openings. I'm guessing they were going for more dust and moisture protection vs lower temps.

I know, TMI. Can't help it...😎
You forgot to chart your data, Tim.

• Haha
Reactions: TMH
Snapped a pic on the commute home of Mango, loving the Racktime tail bag. Switched from the 120mm stem to a 110 and flipped it up to rest my elbows on the bars, helps keep the speed up as you're a bit more aero. We're putting a big tire order from Specialized so since we made freight I'm getting some Como bars to try out with Ergon grips. Really don't ride up right much and don't want clip on aero bars. Resting the arms on the bars is a nice way to keep a higher speed over rolling hills and wind, I think the narrower Como bars with the sweep will help.

Attachments

• IMG_20200612_184926587.jpg
    IMG_20200612_184926587.jpg
    1,020.6 KB · Views: 386
Snapped a pic on the commute home of Mango, loving the Racktime tail bag. Switched from the 120mm stem to a 110 and flipped it up to rest my elbows on the bars, helps keep the speed up as you're a bit more aero. We're putting a big tire order from Specialized so since we made freight I'm getting some Como bars to try out with Ergon grips. Really don't ride up right much and don't want clip on aero bars. Resting the arms on the bars is a nice way to keep a higher speed over rolling hills and wind, I think the narrower Como bars with the sweep will help.
You seem to have changed the pedals to clipless ones?

Yep, tried the commute in tennies but really prefer having my foot in the same place the whole time, plus running shoe covers is that much easier. Much needed in our winter/spring months!

Back