Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

The story of the front axle (2017 Vado 5.0) continued...

The Robert Axle Project 12x100mm - M12x1,0 117/123mm axle might not fit my Vado. Not sure what "117/123 mm" means but the original axle is 120 mm long:
View attachment 55853

I would check whether the axle head fits but not worry about the length. Robert Axle provides a spacer underneath their axle head to adapt length between 117/123mm.

I would check whether the axle head fits but not worry about the length. Robert Axle provides a spacer underneath their axle head to adapt length between 117/123mm.
I agree. I'd send a description of your axle, including all your dimensions and a note re the tapered head, to them at; https://robertaxleproject.com/contact-us/ . They've been quite good about responding to my questions.

I’ve had my Como about 6 weeks and I’ve got 800 miles on it. So far my favorite feature is the ability to fine tune the assistance through the app. I am 68 years old, overweight, recovering from Cancer with a few other health issues. I am no athlete. I’m really just learning how to best take advantage of the tuning. At first I kept econo at default and turbo at 100/100. I just messed with sport. Then I started climbing mountains and riding with a strong rider. I learned that 100/100 is just more than I need. 35/35 is too little. I can climb a mountain at 60/60 but it is a push. So now I’m experimenting with keeping all three modes closer. For example I can climb a mountain with effort but not too much strain at 70/90 so I set that as turbo mode. I can ride on the flat at 20 mph at something under 50/50 so I’m trying econo levels below that. Then sport becomes something like 60/75. This way econo becomes the base riding mode, sport on hills and mountains and turbo to ease up. I’m thinking this is a better use of the settings than 3 that are wide apart. If for some reason I totally run out of (personal) energy I can get off and set new levels.

Im curious how others are using the modes and the tuning feature.

My partner who is a 72 year old woman can easily climb a mountain at 20/20 and ride 20 mph on the flats with zero assistance which to me is insane. she uses so little electrical charge that I’ve calculated she could ride a hilly century on one battery. My goal in my settings is mostly to keep up with her without making it too easy for myself.

Try the Smart Assist in the Mission Control App, Katy. It does miracles. You don't need to think at all on the assist levels!

The story of the front axle (2017 Vado 5.0) continued...

The Robert Axle Project 12x100mm - M12x1,0 117/123mm axle might not fit my Vado. Not sure what "117/123 mm" means but the original axle is 120 mm long:
View attachment 55853

My brother has managed to fix the axle. You can see a bigger bolt locked in the original axle with Loctite Red.

It works!
I have one from them on my road bike. They told me that the difference depends on if you have the tapered washer installed or not, which is dependent on the particular bike.

Im curious how others are using the modes and the tuning feature.
I'm relatively fit and it's mostly flat around here, so I tuned Eco down to 15/30 and rarely need to go above that, such as on the occasional steep hill or when I'm getting tired at the end of a long ride. I also try to ride with the motor off on some flat, paved trails, but nowhere near 20mph! This is on a Vado 4.0 by the way.

Mine are set at 30/40, 60/80, 100/100. That pretty much covers it for me. I usually ride without assist unless it’s something long and uphill. It’s like having an 11spd transmission with a 3 spd rear end.
Weight is a big factor. The difference between my 34 lb Sequoia and 57 lb Vado is crazy. On the level cruise is not bad, starting out is slow, uphill is a no go.
When assist stops pretty much figure going down a gear.

Hi all - thought I'd introduce myself. Just picked up a 2020 Vado 4.0 last week and so far....wow! I've got a 7 mile commute (each way) with a couple of gnarly hills in between work & home. As I've gotten a little older my stamina and body aren't what they used to be, and I hadn't been getting on my bikes as much as I would have liked. In one week with the Vado I've rediscovered the joy of riding and have even hopped on my road bike a couple of times. So glad I pulled the trigger and am hoping this new love affair continues well into the future.

That's a great commute JonnyC.
Perfect for an ebike, especially on those hills.
Many miles & smiles!!

@Stefan Mikes I know your objections about the PNY Coast suspension dropper post that you had, but I was wondering about the cable connection on that setup. I'm sure you went with the external cable option, so what did you do about routing it up to the bars? I'm considering trying one so I can get dual functionality out of it, and I don't need that much shock action, but am probably trying to think of a solution for the cable that doesn't exist :rolleyes: . Obviously I could just tie-wrap it underneath the top tube, but it seems an ugly "hacked" solution. I recall in some previous thread that someone had a photo of their bike with the dropper cable installed, but I couldn't come up with any search terms to locate it.

So how did you do it? Any others can chip in as well.

There's a product in the bicycle and motorcycle industry called "Flexroute" and they have these slick plastic clips that have provisions to hold the cable neatly and flush mount zip ties. Cleanest way to route external cables without provisions on the frame. Used them to great success.

On other e bikes that I have ridden I have found them much easier to peddle without any assist. When I go to zero assist on the Como the whole bike just peddles like sludge. The tires are around 30 psi. Higher might be better but there is a point where the ride gets harsh.
Anyone else find this?

Are the seat heights the same? I find lots of folks riding the Como set the seat height a bit on the low side. Without proper leg extension you don't utilize all of your power and it can seem harder to ride. I too have felt some are "easier" to ride with no assist but that's typically due to tire size. The Yamaha Wabash seemed like a rocket ship without assist compared to the Como or others with large tires. You really don't notice how much drag larger tires change things when the motor is helping you out. It's worth it as the ride is great!

I tend to have a high seat for good leg extension.
Yes, all mid drives.

I'd chalk it up to wheel/tire differences I think. I've ridden several mid drives, Brose, Yamaha, Bosch, and it's more due to wheel/tire combo than it is drive unit, at least what's palpable as a rider.

What I read is the Brose/Specialized and Yamaha/Giant motors sport the least motor drag from all mid-drive motors, so Brendon must be right. The cure John is to set a minimal assistance of 5 or 10 or 15% in the Mission Control just to cancel the perceived bike drag.

I think a lot of it is the tire drag. Air them up vs. air them down and feel the difference.

Another thought, I have a trike, and with the two wheels alignment is critical. I put some miles on mine, then the spokes were getting soft. Tightened the spokes and either imagination or not, it felt like the rolling resistance was less. Wonder if loose vs. tight spokes effects rolling resistance any way on our diamond frame bikes.

Mine are set at 30/40, 60/80, 100/100. That pretty much covers it for me. I usually ride without assist unless it’s something long and uphill. It’s like having an 11spd transmission with a 3 spd rear end.
Weight is a big factor. The difference between my 34 lb Sequoia and 57 lb Vado is crazy. On the level cruise is not bad, starting out is slow, uphill is a no go.
When assist stops pretty much figure going down a gear.
Your Sequoia was that heavy? I never weighed mine, but I found about as big a difference when I went to a carbon Cdale Synapse and saved probably 15lbs. It was an eye opener!

By the way, even with assist it's a good idea to shift down as if you were on pedal power; if the motor has to work hard against a higher great it's taking off range just like it would wear you out.

Back