Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

Your Sequoia was that heavy? I never weighed mine, but I found about as big a difference when I went to a carbon Cdale Synapse and saved probably 15lbs. It was an eye opener!

By the way, even with assist it's a good idea to shift down as if you were on pedal power; if the motor has to work hard against a higher great it's taking off range just like it would wear you out.
The Sequoia is an XL, with rear rack and Thudbuster seat post, 34#. The Specialized Epic Expert carbon is 28#, the Vado 5.0 L is 57#. That 28# is reeeaaal nice. I was really surprised at what 20+# feels like on a bike, feel sorry for those guys weighing in the low 200's. That's a lot of weight to move around.

I never lug the motor:).

@Sierratim & @TS25, many many thanks again! You are the Vado real experts and always come with the accurate information! I'd like especially thank to TS25 as he can always find something in Germany I can buy and get it fast.

The delivery of the Lightning specialized axle from The Robert Axle Project was lightning fast. It was delivered by Bike24 in just 21 hours!!!

1592552068924.png

The LIG506. I took measurements with a caliper and the axle will fit my Vado. Specifically, the tapered spacer is very important. I will bring it to my brother in the evening.

My brother told me why the original axle quit. The bolt-head socket is very deep there (10 mm). The bit of the torque wrench is much shorter, so damage of the socket was inevitable.

Since I had my Vado 5 ( EU version) at LBS for service where they updated the firmwares the bike feels very different.
It’s like it’s in Sport mode or Turbo when I put it in Eco. The Eco mode factory preset according to Mission Control is no 35% support and 100% Peak power. Mission Control connects and can read data from bike but changing support levels don’t seem to work. The figures change in Mission Control but the motor still feels like a higher Peak power ( or support)
I thought I had it sorted out a few days ago after deleting the bike from MC and also erase the app and download again but it does not seem to work.
The bike uses 10-20% more power and has lost that nice natural feeling I liked so much at an Eco setting of 35/35 or 30/30.
Yesterday I tried 25/25 as Eco mode and I think power consumption went down but I tried different things and rode different roads so I can’t say it was a scientific test.
Strange thing and I’m not happy to loose the nice natural feeling. I haven’t talked to the LBS yet but will after the weekend. When I piced up my bike after service I noticed it was very strong or powerful and my Eco mode showed 35/35. I first thought this was beacause I had been riding the Creo all day while they worked on my Vado.

@Sierratim & @TS25, many many thanks again! You are the Vado real experts and always come with the accurate information! I'd like especially thank to TS25 as he can always find something in Germany I can buy and get it fast.

The delivery of the Lightning specialized axle from The Robert Axle Project was lightning fast. It was delivered by Bike24 in just 21 hours!!!

View attachment 56040
The LIG506. I took measurements with a caliper and the axle will fit my Vado. Specifically, the tapered spacer is very important. I will bring it to my brother in the evening.

My brother told me why the original axle quit. The bolt-head socket is very deep there (10 mm). The bit of the torque wrench is much shorter, so damage of the socket was inevitable.
Hmmm, better check my torque wrench bit length...🤔

Anyone else find that the freewheel ratchet on the Vado is a bit on the loud side? I sort of thought this and then a guy riding next to me commented on it (said he thought I had a playing card in the spokes :D ). This came home to me the other day when I took my Crosstrail out and found it almost silent when coasting. FWIW, I had a set of Mavic wheels on one of my road bikes a while back and they were also noted for having noisy freewheels.

On my ride through a favorite park this morning I determined that the Vado is definitely not a trail bike, at least for these trails. The weight and long wheelbase make it feel slow to respond, and the OEM tires are tricky on loose gravel. Especially on a couple of downgrades (not that much of a hill), it was difficult to keep the front wheel from plowing due to the extra weight on it. Definitely not fun, but thankfully only a couple of short sections.

2020-06-19-09.14.40-scaled.jpg

Anyone else find that the freewheel ratchet on the Vado is a bit on the loud side? I sort of thought this and then a guy riding next to me commented on it (said he thought I had a playing card in the spokes :D ). This came home to me the other day when I took my Crosstrail out and found it almost silent when coasting. FWIW, I had a set of Mavic wheels on one of my road bikes a while back and they were also noted for having noisy freewheels.
Once upon a time, a noisey freewheel was a sign of a top-quality hub. My MTBing sons say no longer, the best are quieter now. So do I tell the best from the cheapest now? I'm sooo confused...

Last edited:
On my ride through a favorite park this morning I determined that the Vado is definitely not a trail bike, at least for these trails. The weight and long wheelbase make it feel slow to respond, and the OEM tires are tricky on loose gravel. Especially on a couple of downgrades (not that much of a hill), it was difficult to keep the front wheel from plowing due to the extra weight on it. Definitely not fun, but thankfully only a couple of short sections.

2020-06-19-09.14.40-scaled.jpg
I think @Stefan Mikes has the right idea, an ebike for every use! Now if I can just get the boss to agree...

Re the freewheel, I hadn't taken much notice til I rode the Sequoia, complete silence with this bike. One suggestion for Specialized if I was to make one, do away with the ratchet sound!

I've rode my 5.0 on a few trails. Find no problems with it. It is a blast to ride it uphill with the power, plenty available. It is a little long and heavy for the switchbacks and such, find no problems in the loose stuff though.

It is what it is. Do without or do with it:)

Anyone else find that the freewheel ratchet on the Vado is a bit on the loud side?
If you mean the freewheel in the motor then yes, it is noisy.

I think @Stefan Mikes has the right idea, an ebike for every use! Now if I can just get the boss to agree...
Why d'you think I've bought an e-MTB? :D

@Sierratim and @TS25 , you're both wizards! See The Robert Axle Project LIG506 axle in action on my Vado... It's perfect! It's better than the original one! The head socket is properly shallow and it is for the 6 mm Allen key, not 5 mm.

1592595256179.png

If you mean the freewheel in the motor then yes, it is noisy.

Why d'you think I've bought an e-MTB? :D

@Sierratim and @TS25 , you're both wizards! See The Robert Axle Project LIG506 axle in action on my Vado... It's perfect! It's better than the original one! The head socket is properly shallow and it is for the 6 mm Allen key, not 5 mm.

View attachment 56106
Happy "it all came together" for you!

The original 5mm hex does strike me as under sized for the specified 15Nm torque. The 6mm should be much better, esp at the lower labeled torque of 12Nm.

@Stefan Mikes I didn't realize that the motor has its own freewheel. That's actually where the noise seemed to originate from, but I figured it had to be the wheel hub. Thanks for informing me.

What do you guys do about cleaning and lubing the chain if you can't spin it backwards? I'd hate to have to put it on the workstand for that.

What do you guys do about cleaning and lubing the chain if you can't spin it backwards? I'd hate to have to put it on the workstand for that.
Yep, I put it up on the stand. It's the best working height for me. Others suggest that you zip tie the chain ring to the crank and turn it backwards that way.

Had a rear wheel blow out at mile 14 of a 22 mile ride today. I suspectvthe bead of the Trigger tire let loose; the tube was split may be 16 inches near a seam. Glad it wasn't the front tire!

0619201554_Film1_20200619164722258.jpg

Pulled over, walked to a bit of shade next to a fence and got to it. 17 minutes, a new tube, 1-1/2 CO2 cartridges, and a Grease Monkey Wipe and i was off again. Didn't need the tire levers as the blow out took one tire bead entirely off the rim. No rim damage, I think I came to a stop on the tube between the rim and the road. Glad I had the full flat repair kit though.

Enough excitement for the. It must be beer-30 some where...😎

Yep, the freewheel does make some significant clicking. I noticed it from day one.
I use it in place of the obnoxious horn the came with the Vado. First, I coast when coming up behind someone and I can tell they heard me when they slightly turn their head to the left. And I also call out "on your left" or "good morning" or "hi".
Never use that nasty horn.

Had a rear wheel blow out at mile 14 of a 22 mile ride today. I suspectvthe bead of the Trigger tire let loose; the tube was split may be 16 inches near a seam. Glad it wasn't the front tire!

View attachment 56139

Pulled over, walked to a bit of shade next to a fence and got to it. 17 minutes, a new tube, 1-1/2 CO2 cartridges, and a Grease Monkey Wipe and i was off again. Didn't need the tire levers as the blow out took one tire bead entirely off the rim. No rim damage, I think I came to a stop on the tube between the rim and the road. Glad I had the full flat repair kit though.

Enough excitement for the. It must be beer-30 some where...😎

Same here Sierratim!
Got a piece of glass jammed in the back Trigger tire. By the time I stopped to check, the hissing sound was pretty distinctive. Fortunately only a few block from home. Locked up the bike, walked home, got the car and off to my lbs. They fixed it in 10 minutes! Then off to the trail head and I still rode 38 miles.
I'm with you on that beer idea!! 🍺🍻

Same here Sierratim!
Got a piece of glass jammed in the back Trigger tire. By the time I stopped to check, the hissing sound was pretty distinctive. Fortunately only a few block from home. Locked up the bike, walked home, got the car and off to my lbs. They fixed it in 10 minutes! Then off to the trail head and I still rode 38 miles.
I'm with you on that beer idea!! 🍺🍻
Flats suck! 🤣

Back