Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

If it has to be a Trek, let it be Verve+ 3 Lowstep because it at least looks nice :) I'm not a fan of Bosch motors, let it be clear. I'm not a fan of Trek, either.

Liv Amiti! Hah! You know what? All modern Giant batteries are swappable. Giant uses the same size battery and only puts different cells inside. Ask your Giant/Liv dealer if they could deliver an Amiti wih 500 or even 625 Wh battery and how much it would be. (BTW, Ms. @Browneye rides an Amiti, I hope Mr. @Browneye can say a word or two here). Note: the Amiti has a very good shock fork.

Not familiar with Ohm, the Canadian brand.

Yes, Mrs. Brown loves her Amiti. And I have the brother to it, the Explore. They are outstanding ebikes.

I wouldn't knock the Como or Vado, looked at them both in the hunt for her bike, but yes, they are a little more $$, Specialized is rather proud of their bikes. In looking for an e-mountain bike I surely liked their Turbo Levo Comp, but saved a lot of cash going with the Giant Trance, and the Yamaha drive is just outstanding.

The front shock fork on the Amiti/Explore is just adequate - nothing special. I call it a 'boinger'. Not much damping, not much travel, but surely helps on uneven pavement, expansion cracks and such. It's surely not meant for real offroad - a gravel path is fine.

IIRC the Giant bikes are all 400 or 500 watt packs, and surely sufficient range for most people - 50-80km if you're willing to pedal a little more.

The specialized version of the Brose motor is very good, the newest bikes are plenty reliable and solid, quiet, and powerful. You really can't go wrong with any of the big-three - Specialized, Trek, or Giant. And all have a very good dealer network to support the brands.

Last edited:
The Shimano version of the Brose motor is very good, the newest bikes are plenty reliable and solid, quiet, and powerful. You really can't go wrong with any of the big-three - Specialized, Trek, or Giant. And all have a very good dealer network to support the brands.
Are you meaning 'Specialized version'? Or is there some tie-in between these motors which I haven't heard about?

@Stefan Mike's/@PaD. I haven't installed yet. I ordered it yesterday. The developer explained to me how it works with BLEvo. Since I had the money to blow, going to see what it does or doesn't do. Thanks to Stefan I figured out the torque tool. I removed the rear wheel and put it back with the help of my brother in law. It took about 10 minutes. Kind of tricky putting it back, easy to take off. Also, PaD that's not my experience right now without Planet 3. The moment i press the pedal the motor engages from standstill according to set assistance. No delay, my Vado takes off.
My explanation of when power comes on from standstill may not be right. It can just be that I misinterpret HOW the motor support comes on.
I should clarify that I like that the Brose/Specialized isn’t abrupt but smooth in starting.

IIRC the Giant bikes are all 400 or 500 watt packs, and surely sufficient range for most people - 50-80km if you're willing to pedal a little more.
Unluckily, my off-road ride with the 500 Wh EnergyPak ended after 40 miles sharp :D Had to pedal the last two miles through the forest and sand... Will report in David Berry's thread. I need the 625 Wh EnergyPak. (I must say I only rode in PAS 2 (called Basic or Eco+) off-road and in PAS 1 (Eco) on-road.)

I should clarify that I like that the Brose/Specialized isn’t abrupt but smooth in starting.
Thank you PAD for explaining it. I have to say that Giant are very proud of their "Zero Cadence" concept, that is the motor runs while you pressed the pedal and released the brake -- it makes sense in the e-MTB; for this reason Turbo Levo and Kenevo have the delay configurable from zero to long delay. "Zero Cadence" is bad for the commuter bike and I like the delay in the Vado. Perhaps it is what BLEvo does to your bike, Kam? Do I understand that correctly?

My explanation of when power comes on from standstill may not be right. It can just be that I misinterpret HOW the motor support comes on.
Yep. No urky jerky.

Yes, Mrs. Brown loves her Amiti. And I have the brother to it, the Explore. They are outstanding ebikes.

I wouldn't knock the Como or Vado, looked at them both in the hunt for her bike, but yes, they are a little more $$, Specialized is rather proud of their bikes. In looking for an e-mountain bike I surely liked their Turbo Levo Comp, but saved a lot of cash going with the Giant Trance, and the Yamaha drive is just outstanding.

The front shock fork on the Amiti/Explore is just adequate - nothing special. I call it a 'boinger'. Not much damping, not much travel, but surely helps on uneven pavement, expansion cracks and such. It's surely not meant for real offroad - a gravel path is fine.

The specialized version of the Brose motor is very good, the newest bikes are plenty reliable and solid, quiet, and powerful. You really can't go wrong with any of the big-three - Specialized, Trek, or Giant. And all have a very good dealer network to support the brands.
Thx for your helpful comments. Rode the Amiti today and thinking of getting it. Hate the seat but I’m sure a replacement could be found elsewhere. Dealer (40 min away) said all service work incl warranty needed to be taken there or there would be a service charge for choosing a closer LBS. is this typical?

Thx for your helpful comments. Rode the Amiti today and thinking of getting it. Hate the seat but I’m sure a replacement could be found elsewhere. Dealer (40 min away) said all service work incl warranty needed to be taken there or there would be a service charge for choosing a closer LBS. is this typical?
Hi May
I am afraid this is becoming typical of some of the “boutique bike shops”. Some will not service other brands or even their own that are over a certain age.

Not typical. Bikes shops can be snooty and fussy. Giant pays the dealer for warranty work done, but most dealers are focused on serving the customers that bought their bikes from them.
Best to ask directly. They get paid either way, so I'm not sure why there is so much push-back sometimes.

Saddles are one of those things you either get used to or replace. There are plenty of options. Just know that your 'sit bones' do toughen up with some seat time, and unless there is a severe anatomic mis-match they all work pretty well. Your dealer should be willing to swap one out for you. They are generally designed/spec'd based on the rest of the bike ergonomics, which really need to be or should be adjusted for each rider.

I had to get a taller and shorter stem for wife's bike, to get a more upright seating position. The older we get the less leaned-over we like. 😋

Hi May
I am afraid this is becoming typical of some of the “boutique bike shops”. Some will not service other brands or even their own that are over a certain age.
Not typical. Bikes shops can be snooty and fussy. Giant pays the dealer for warranty work done, but most dealers are focused on serving the customers that bought their bikes from them.
Best to ask directly. They get paid either way, so I'm not sure why there is so much push-back sometimes.

Saddles are one of those things you either get used to or replace. There are plenty of options. Just know that your 'sit bones' do toughen up with some seat time, and unless there is a severe anatomic mis-match they all work pretty well. Your dealer should be willing to swap one out for you. They are generally designed/spec'd based on the rest of the bike ergonomics, which really need to be or should be adjusted for each rider.

I had to get a taller and shorter stem for wife's bike, to get a more upright seating position. The older we get the less leaned-over we like. 😋
yes indeed! Just spoke to a Giant retailer ( an hour away) and he said even warranty work would have to be done there. All swaps are extra cost inc. risers, stems and seats of course. Very little or no stock over all.
Frustrating bike shopping right now!
Thanks for your response. Now rethinking OHM, a local bike brand (very close and helpful) but nervous about not buying from the big 3. Or back to the Vado/Como conundrum. 😖

yes indeed! Just spoke to a Giant retailer ( an hour away) and he said even warranty work would have to be done there. All swaps are extra cost inc. risers, stems and seats of course. Very little or no stock over all.
Frustrating bike shopping right now!
Thanks for your response. Now rethinking OHM, a local bike brand (very close and helpful) but nervous about not buying from the big 3. Or back to the Vado/Como conundrum. 😖

Go VADO! You will have no regrets.

Majority of EBR Forum owners of Specialized e-bikes ride either a Turbo Vado or a Como. This is natural, as these two major models have been designed for an average cyclist. Turbo Levo and Kenevo are technical ride stuff, discussed on e-MTB fora. Creo is for road cycling fanatics :)

It is quite interesting American versions of Vado are in the majority Class 3 bikes, while the only speed Vado models for Europe (and I guess Australia) are Vado 5.0 and 6.0. Does anybody own the 6.0? Canadians have to be content with the 32 km/h versions, unluckily.

I'd like you friends to talk more about your experiences with your Specialized e-bikes, for good and for bad. Please post pictures if you like.

I fell in love with my 2017 Specialized Turbo Vado 5.0, which I bought in Autumn 2019. I think buying a 2019 or 2020 model would stretch my budget too far. There are four components and a feature I am extremely happy with in my 2017 model:
  1. Rigid fork
  2. 29x2" Elektrak tyres
  3. TRP Zurich brakes
  4. 600 lm headlight and very strong rear light, illuminating the number plate as well
The feature is the beautiful grey colour.
View attachment 45130

When I first mounted the Vado, I was positively shocked with the bike's geometry. So sporty! What I love about my Vado is the agility and the acceleration, both being fantastic, especially in the Sport mode. It is a lot of fun to ride fast!

Now, it is your turn to brag about your Specialized e-bikes!
I love my Turbo Vado 3.0 from Specialized.In the last week that I've owned it I've rode every day except one I believe. The only thing I would change is upgrade to a bigger battery. I also wish the batteries were cheaper since the only one I have found is a $1,000, but I still love the bike.

Attachments

• 15906017047031363528017601833311.jpg
    15906017047031363528017601833311.jpg
    739.9 KB · Views: 250
I love my Turbo Vado 3.0 from Specialized.In the last week that I've owned it I've rode every day except one I believe. The only thing I would change is upgrade to a bigger battery. I also wish the batteries were cheaper since the only one I have found is a $1,000, but I still love the bike.
Congratulations! Unluckily, the batteries, especially the 600 Wh are pricey.

Go VADO! You will have no regrets.
So you’d buy the 4 now for the wee extra battery? I live in mtn ctry so I would love to just settle for the 3 and its price pt......but.....

So you’d buy the 4 now for the wee extra battery? I live in mtn ctry so I would love to just settle for the 3 and its price pt......but.....
Honestly, I believe if anyone in Canada (only Class 1 allowed there) buys a Vado, it either should have at least the 500 Wh battery or you buy a lower specced Vado and pay the CAD1100 extra for the 600 Wh battery*. You have hills in Canada. You need a large battery.
----------
*) You also need to order the battery cover (inexpensive) as well as the 4 A charger.

Honestly, I believe if anyone in Canada (only Class 1 allowed there) buys a Vado, it either should have at least the 500 Wh battery or you buy a lower specced Vado and pay the CAD1100 extra for the 600 Wh battery*. You have hills in Canada. You need a large battery.
----------
*) You also need to order the battery cover (inexpensive) as well as the 4 A charger.
Uh, Canada's a big country with terrain as varied as in the U.S. The part of Ontario that's right across the river from me is flat as a pancake and makes where I am look hilly! :rolleyes:

Wish me luck. I just dropped off my Vado 4.0 at the shop to get that ticking noise resolved. Driving there, I was not feeling too confident since the kid I talked to on the phone yesterday was "just learning about electric bikes" and gave me a standard spiel for how they'd work on it. Fortunately, when I got there today I was waited on by the "Gray haired guy with a clue" (might be the owner) who's been working on bikes for decades and he seemed to know what it was right away. They're backed up right now with "70 repair jobs" (all hands were definitely on deck), but since I just bought from them it a couple months it will get priority.

No hurry since I've got a couple other bikes that need riding in the interim...

Back