Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

Too late for the TMI stuff this time for me, Tim. I already bought the 3s. I figured out the battery difference but missed the motor difference that might have mattered. But maybe not. I'm cheap as I mentioned. And may end up with a delimiter when the warranty expires, anyway.
I think it's all a function of what you want the bike to do for you. If hills or knees aren't an issue, then save the $.

@Sierratim and @FlatSix911: Can any of you find similar graphs for Yamaha/SyncDrive Motors?

Art, you're complain on the 20 mph limiter? 🤣 Try an EU 15.5 mph one...

I found this chart comparing the torque ratings (Nm) of the major brands... a more meaningful metric than the power curves (W).

The new Yamaha PW-X2 is not yet listed. Regarding the EU limiters... try a speed box when your warranty is up in 2 years. ;)

Mid-drive motor  comparison.jpg

@Sierratim and @FlatSix911: Can any of you find similar graphs for Yamaha/SyncDrive Motors?

Art, you're complain on the 20 mph limiter? 🤣 Try an EU 15.5 mph one...
Stefan, do these help?
mceclip11.png

Torque vs Cadence

mceclip10.png

Power (watts) vs Cadence

These charts do reinforce @FlatSix911 's point about the torque curves being more relevant; the highest wattage motors are not necessairly the highest torque.

The difference in posture between the Como and Vado is not going to make a marked difference in climbing a hill. A suspension fork on the Como is unnecessary as there is not that much weight on the front wheel. Better not to have it to save weight and simplicity. The Como does benefit from adding a suspension seatpost. The power and torque differences between the 3 and 4 won’t matter. Most people don’t ride in max power settings and none of these will last 60 km if you do the whole ride in turbo mode. I was planning to buy the 3 but bought the 4 on sale.

Most important consideration is how comfortable are you on the bike. That doesn’t necessarily mean sitting more upright; it has to do with what works for you. I love the Como geometry;it is really not an extreme upright position.

The difference in posture between the Como and Vado is not going to make a marked difference in climbing a hill. A suspension fork on the Como is unnecessary as there is not that much weight on the front wheel. Better not to have it to save weight and simplicity. The Como does benefit from adding a suspension seatpost. The power and torque differences between the 3 and 4 won’t matter. Most people don’t ride in max power settings and none of these will last 60 km if you do the whole ride in turbo mode. I was planning to buy the 3 but bought the 4 on sale.

Most important consideration is how comfortable are you on the bike. That doesn’t necessarily mean sitting more upright; it has to do with what works for you. I love the Como geometry;it is really not an extreme upright position.
I certainly agree about bike comfort, but I can't agree re differences with motor power and torque, unless you're in an area with few hills. Aside from the data, we test rode a Como with the 1.2e motor on our local hills. It just didn't have enough 'punch'. The 1.2 motor was noticeably stronger on the same hills. On a flat run, there wasn't really any difference.

@Sierratim & @FlatSix911, thank you for the charts! As I can see, the Yamaha PW-X has the same peak torque as the Specialized 1.2s and I know the X2 was improved for higher cadences (I can feel it myself, because I like spinning the crank). Now, these two drives are similar to each other regarding the max power output. Fine for me!

I've just been on a short evening ride with my Vado, for the first time from the upgrade, really. Oh my, how fast it is in the 35/50 Eco Mode! It was a post-rain ride and the mudguards were working perfectly. But...

That grey devil has a daylight sensor now! I didn't know it before!

You mean the one that starts cutting off at 22.9999 km/h and shuts off and 23.9999 km/h?
No, the one that cuts off above 26.2 km/h ;) It is the GIANT.
@JayVee, it could be interesting for you. My brother Jacek could always outrun me on the flat. Yet, I was catching up with him on the uphill ride. In the end, we made 65 km together. He was tired, I was not. I was polite towards my brother Piotr and rode in Eco mode off-road with him, only going a level up in the sand and two levels up uphill. We were returning from the 30 km ride on tarmac. On the last kilometre I pushed harder on the pedals and he disappeared in the rear-view mirror. He was tired, I was not...

Last edited:
For the speed demons. Planet 3 installed on our 🇺🇸 class 3 potential speeds upwards of 51mph. I don't think our legs or drive train can accomplish that. However, 36 to 38 mph seems feasible. The perimeters in BLEvo set to 3.3 adjust mph accordingly.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200525-195211~3.png
    Screenshot_20200525-195211~3.png
    257.6 KB · Views: 244
How would you rate your cycling conditioning? Do you ride a mech bike regularly?
conditioning needs work and not riding as often as wanted......too many hills to get back home!
poor west coast weather is a deterrent for sure.
seems Vado 4.0 step through is sold out and no dates for incoming from warehouse
and therefore no color choice😂
And we didn’t have the smoking deal here and yet no adequate supply!

(If the money is the problem, go buy a Giant/Liv, honestly! Specialized e-bikes are overpriced).
What do you think of the Trek verve 3 or OHM cruise? Or is Liv better? I am befuddled by all the tech and specs and certainly not handy at fixes. I certainly would appreciate your help in sorting out my confusion.
Remembering the Liv Amiti is a little weak on the wh? Liv Thrive I found to be too forward positioned but certainly has a hi NM Rating

What do you think of the Trek verve 3 or OHM cruise? Or is Liv better? I am befuddled by all the tech and specs and certainly not handy at fixes. I certainly would appreciate your help in sorting out my confusion.
Remembering the Liv Amiti is a little weak on the wh? Liv Thrive I found to be too forward positioned but certainly has a hi NM Rating
And forgot to throw the OHM Quest in the above mix.....although no step thru.

If it has to be a Trek, let it be Verve+ 3 Lowstep because it at least looks nice :) I'm not a fan of Bosch motors, let it be clear. I'm not a fan of Trek, either.

Liv Amiti! Hah! You know what? All modern Giant batteries are swappable. Giant uses the same size battery and only puts different cells inside. Ask your Giant/Liv dealer if they could deliver an Amiti wih 500 or even 625 Wh battery and how much it would be. (BTW, Ms. @Browneye rides an Amiti, I hope Mr. @Browneye can say a word or two here). Note: the Amiti has a very good shock fork.

Not familiar with Ohm, the Canadian brand.

For the speed demons. Planet 3 installed on our 🇺🇸 class 3 potential speeds upwards of 51mph. I don't think our legs or drive train can accomplish that. However, 36 to 38 mph seems feasible. The perimeters in BLEvo set to 3.3 adjust mph accordingly.
How does the Planet 3 affect motor response when starting from standstill?
My experience is that my Vado has to be in motion before the motor assist comes on. Just putting pressure on a pedal is not enough. I get the impression the software needs an input from the speed sensor.

@Stefan Mike's/@PaD. I haven't installed yet. I ordered it yesterday. The developer explained to me how it works with BLEvo. Since I had the money to blow, going to see what it does or doesn't do. Thanks to Stefan I figured out the torque tool. I removed the rear wheel and put it back with the help of my brother in law. It took about 10 minutes. Kind of tricky putting it back, easy to take off. Also, PaD that's not my experience right now without Planet 3. The moment i press the pedal the motor engages from standstill according to set assistance. No delay, my Vado takes off.

Back