Specialized Turbo Creo 28mph Electric Road Bike

I find it amazing that at $6,500+ the Creo doesn't have a display to at least show speed, mileage, and trip.

I find it amazing that at $6,500+ the Creo doesn't have a display to at least show speed, mileage, and trip.
You do the analysis post-trip on your smartphone connected to the Turbo Control Unit; or during a stop. A road bike has to be lightweight, simple, aerodynamic. It is done similarly on Turbo Levo, including very expensive S-Works models.

Said the above, a smartphone with Mission Control App is the ultimate display.

I think bike companies that are producing light e-road bikes want the bike to look like a regular road bike, which means no big display to clutter the handle bar. Besides, most road bikers have GPS devices like Garmin mounted on their bar or front stem.

By the way, using your phone continually on a ride doesn't work out too well. I've tried it with my iPhone and found that when the screen is lit up continually it drains the battery at an alarming rate. A USB port near the front stem would solve that problem, though.

By the way, using your phone continually on a ride doesn't work out too well. I've tried it with my iPhone and found that when the screen is lit up continually it drains the battery at an alarming rate. A USB port near the front stem would solve that problem, though.
This is why I said "analyze post-ride".
On the other hand, perhaps it is your iPhone that is guilty. My Honor 8x is good for 5-5.5 hours ride with the screen on.

Probably is my phone, an iPhone 6. I've already replaced the battery once last year and this 'new' battery is already showing signs of losing its charge quicker than it should.
This is my last iPhone.

You do the analysis post-trip on your smartphone connected to the Turbo Control Unit; or during a stop. A road bike has to be lightweight, simple, aerodynamic. It is done similarly on Turbo Levo, including very expensive S-Works models.

Said the above, a smartphone with Mission Control App is the ultimate display.
Current speed isn't something you can check post-trip. I don't expect an iPad size display, maybe just a $100 cycle computer.

maybe just a $100 cycle computer.
Yes you can buy it for $100. This is an optional gadget that for example Turbo Levo users are free to buy. Creo has a TCU, too, so the display can be used on Creo.

The big issue with Creo is it's extremely slow charging rate-3amps.

That's b/c the bat. is only 6.8amps , if it was like Trek Domane +HP(625wh) or BH (500wh) it could have been charged at 5-6amps.
But at least is only 30lb, not very hard to ride w/h a charge but a huge negative. If you want ti charge it on the road just to get 30-40% juice , it would be 45-60minutes. That's just a big NO.

6.5amps charging rate and higher should be standard from now on.

I wonder why they didn't go with a 12 speed drivetrain instead of the 11, which would give a wider gear range and/or less jumps between gears? Other than the wide Q factor and the hefty price, the 1x drivetrain is a big negative with this bike, at least in my experience. I think a 2x drivetrain would be much more appropriate, but maybe Specialized decided that it would make the Q factor even wider if they did.

A follow-up....now that I am all in for the Creo (ie purchased it), I have been tinkering a bit more with the cockpit set-up. I am sticking with the drop bars. They are fun and add to the ride enjoyment. Some of it is because it's different. As a life long mountain biker, they were scary as hell at first.

I am planning to ditch the dropper post, more so because the handlebar lever is in the way when I am in the drops. I am not sure where one would place the lever to be out of the way but functional. One idea is to move it closer to the stem and maybe use one of my mountain bike dropper levers.

I am truly enjoying this bike in way that I didn't consider. I guess I am more of biker than commuter as described in my conundrum above:). It is more refreshing to ride the Creo than the Turbo as you get more of the ride experience with the Creo. It also so easy to pick and transport relative to the Turbo. Even though there is an assist if feels like you are pedaling a regular bike, just with a bit more pick-up. It is nothing like the Turbo where you are more along for the ride. You do work more on the Creo, but in a good way.

I have a 10.3 mile commute (one way) with undulating hills and afternoon sea breezes. My average speed with assist (set at maximum) is about 19 miles/hr. This uses a bit less 40% of the battery. This is relatively consistent. I can get to and from work on one charge. I am planning to buy an additional charger for work for when I have errands/doctors appointments, etc to run during the day.

I decided against setting this up with pannier rack and saddle bags as I have done with Turbo and have gone back to either using backpack or messenger bag. It's mostly for carrying my lunch, laptop, and some drinks. Though I hate wearing a pack, its not that bad.

Last edited:
A follow-up....now that I am all in for the Creo (ie purchased it).
Welcome to the Creo club :D. I'm glad you are finding the bike more useful than you expected. I purchased mine mainly to ride mountains but I now ride it every day because its just so versatile. A few friends have ridden it and everyone comments about how natural it feels - you don't get that "launch effect" at take off - it feels so smooth and progressive. I've clocked up 3000km (just under 2000 miles).

I feel the same way about the dropper post on the EVO. It's something I'd probably never use. If I end up purchasing this bike I may add a suspension seat post (i.e. Shockstop from Redshift).

I wonder why they didn't go with a 12 speed drivetrain instead of the 11, which would give a wider gear range and/or less jumps between gears? Other than the wide Q factor and the hefty price, the 1x drivetrain is a big negative with this bike, at least in my experience. I think a 2x drivetrain would be much more appropriate, but maybe Specialized decided that it would make the Q factor even wider if they did.
I read (and it sounds like marketing BS to me) the reason they used 11 speed rather than 12 speed is that its slightly lighter and of very little benefit on a bike with such a wide torque spread. I have never missed the 2 x drivetrain in fact I enjoy not worrying about a front derailleur. I've ridden short 25% climbs (with turbo boost) and the 46-42 bottom gear is fine even for that. 46-11 is a bit low - downhill I spin out at about 55km/hr (34mph) but I reckon that's fast enough for an old bloke :p

I'll often hit 50 to 60kph on steeper downhills. I love the speed rush, but in the back of my mind there's a little voice (of reason) saying, "If you fall it's going to REALLY hurt for a long time." 😜

Welcome to the Creo club :D. I'm glad you are finding the bike more useful than you expected. I purchased mine mainly to ride mountains but I now ride it every day because its just so versatile. A few friends have ridden it and everyone comments about how natural it feels - you don't get that "launch effect" at take off - it feels so smooth and progressive. I've clocked up 3000km (just under 2000 miles).
Thanks! Also thanks for the insightful posts, they were useful in considering this bike via a normal end user.

Yeah, loving the bike. Today, I got a few 2nd and 3rds on my commuting PRs. I am starting to ride this bike faster and faster. In time, I can probably beat the Turbo - not there yet. My averages are 1 MPH faster so averaging 20MPH on my commute. Pretty cool!

I decided against setting this up with pannier rack and saddle bags as I have done with Turbo and have gone back to either using backpack or messenger bag. It's mostly for carrying my lunch, laptop, and some drinks. Though I hate wearing a pack, its not that bad.
Can you even mount a rack on the Creo? I don't see any mounting points in the pictures.

Can you even mount a rack on the Creo? I don't see any mounting points in the pictures.

I would think with clamps you can always mount a rack, but I would be cautious with clamps on a carbon frame. I'm hoping to get an aluminum Creo as my LBS said they're coming, though they said that back in August and you'd expect them to be here by now.

I had a rack mounted to my aluminum cross bike as it didn't have any rack mounts and it worked just fine.

How would one pedal @28mph with a 46t crank ??
That hamster 46t wheel, small battery and very slow charging rate are not really good at all.

Back