Specialized Turbo Creo 28mph Electric Road Bike

Sorry to say @JayVee but at least the Highway Code of Poland does not recognize L1e-A as a separate class. There is either the bicycle (0.9 m width maximum, powered by human power, can be assisted by electric motor of continuous power not higher than 0.25 kW and assistance that gradually ceases to exist at 25 km/h) or a moped, which is a bi- or a tri- cycle equipped with internal combustion engine of capacity not greater of 50 cm3 or with electric motor of the power not greater than 4 kW and of which construction limits the maximum speed to 45 km/h.

That Code was last changed as per 2nd of January 2020.

Therefore, at least in Poland, all L1e classes have been classified as the moped. I should know better as I registered and insured my Turbo Vado and it was really pain in ass.

RAD may
The equivalent of a class 2 exists in EU law. In fact, RAD sells these bikes in the EU. Like many people, you're not understanding the difference between EN15194 and L1e-A. Given the mess of EU laws, I have to say I'm not surprised...

This is what the two categories refer to:

EN15194 compliant = Max speed 25km/h, Max 250W. No type approval, but no throttle either. This is the 25km/h EU e-bike that everyone is used referring to.

L1e-A = Max speed 25km/h, Power: 251W up to 1kW Max. Throttle allowed but type approval needed.

RAD has explained it here for you:

Maybe the same class as the 25km/h mopeds ( fuel or electric) that requires an insurance but no registration plate. They are allowed in bike lanes.

@PaD, could you read the Swedish Highway Code for me? Let us not speculate. At least I know the law of my country 😊

Sorry about the "Video Unavailable" on the link above. I do a lot of bike videos and often use copyrighted songs on the soundtrack, which YouTube normally allows on my channel. This time YouTube restricted the video due to the copyrighted music so I had to replace the INXS soundtrack with elevator music. It should be viewable now.

One of the criticisms I read on Creo reviews is the large "Q Factor" - which translates in english to the greater width between the pedals caused by the motor. I can honestly say I have never noticed any discomfort when riding due to the width but what I have noticed is that if I pedal through relatively slight turns I sometimes touch a pedal. Bit like how the centre stand used to scrape on my '68 Triumph Bonneville back in the day :confused:
Its serious enough that I'm forcing myself to not pedal through corners. I can also honestly say I have NEVER touched a pedal on my Trek Domane P1 despite frequently pedalling through corners. I decided to make some home mechanic kitchen measurements between the two bikes and I found the difference in lean angle is only 3.6 degrees but it certainly has a noticeable effect for me. I rate this as a minor annoyance (and its good practice not to pedal through corners anyway) but just thought I'd share the observation as I doubt you'll see this in any Creo brochures.

Creo: Pedal touches at a lean angle of 59.5 degrees
43674 43675

Trek: Pedal touches at a lean angle of 55.9 degrees
43676 43677

Thanks for the video OzGreg, brings back memories of my visit to Australia last year. Loved it so much that I'm going back this year - although the flight from the east coast of the US to Australia is a bear! Interesting about the Q factor. Maybe it's because I have insanely large feet but every time I've used a mid-drive ebike it has been a problem. In fact it's been enough of an issue that I'm sticking with my Orbea. Since no one ever seems to mention it as an issue I'm thinking that it's very much a personal thing based on a person's particular body.

Where’s the Creo in the video ?

You can put smaller crankset - maybe 165 or 170 to compensate for the angle.

I got a fever and the only cure is...more batteries
Registration implies the license plate. I bought me a cowbell. Always helpful.

When rock band Blue Oyster Cult records "(Don't Fear) the Reaper" producer Bruce Dickinson (Christopher Walken)
insists Gene Frenkle (Will Ferrell) play more cowbell. With Chris Kattan, Chris Parnell, Horatio Sanz and Jimmy Fallon. [Season 25, 2000]

How do you avoid shakes in the video? Some details please, just for curiosity.
The camera is a Shimano CM-2000 - its quite good but they were a bit of a market flop and they were being sold off very cheap ($AUD90) 2 years ago. It has stabilisation and a very good auto brightness control. Battery life is about as good as a GoPro. Its also fully waterproof and I've taken it snorkelling several times without problems. I had a GoPro3 and I think the CM-2000 is a lot better than that. I was thinking about a Hero7 for Christmas but just couldn't justify the extra cost to make boring bike videos :)

Last edited:
Last post on Creo range, I promise....

Just showing again that the 80mi (128km) range for just the internal battery advertised by Specialized is for me very conservative and in typical conditions I can go much further.
This is from a fairly average ride yesterday, although there was some headwind/tailwind. Settings are as usual, Sport selected with settings shown. Just using the internal battery.
Bike turned on at start of ride and nothing touched after that. I was riding with one other person, side by side all the way so no drafting at all.
On the graph below red is my heart rate and grey is my speed.
There was a slight headwind during the first part of the ride and you can see from the graphs below I was sticking close to the 27.5km/hr where the boost cuts out.
The middle part of the ride (from about 38km to 48km mark) has some hills (up to 20%) and then a tailwind home so frequently above the 27.5km/hr motor cutoff.

1578526879084.png

43766 43767 At 33km have used 13% battery

43768 At 40km with first climb, have used 20%

43769 End of second climb 33% battery usage

43771 At the coffee shop, used very little battery between 48km and 87 km due to tailwind.

Extrapolating these figures, on this type of ride I could expect something like 100/41 x 87 or just over 200km range.

@OzGreg I hope you will continue your extremely interesting posting about you and Creo!
May we assume the long range of your Creo could be in part the result of your significant pedalling input?

Back