Specialized Turbo Creo 28mph Electric Road Bike

It is only 1.5lbs lighter but it has 250wh battery vs 330wh (80 wh less), no stem suspension, Brose in Specialized is probably a nicer motor with 28mph cutoff instead of 20mph, no dropper seatpost(not necessary but I guess one can remove it to save weight), and almost 2 times the price. Trek has an advantage though, you can remove the battery and the motor and ride it as a nice road bike but then what is the point of an ebike...

I like Trek's offering but Specialized is the better bike even if Trek offered its version for the same price.
The Fazua system has been around several years - it was one of the first road bike compatible systems. It has generally been well received but early versions were heavy (I think the Pinarello Nytro was 14.5 kg). I don't think it has a range extender option either. Its a personal thing, but I think bikes with the eBikemotion and Specialized systems are better looking as the power pack is less obvious.

Fantastic reviews Court! I had stopped even looking at the reviews because they all seemed to be about 50 pound and up bikes with fat tires and loaded to the gills with racks and other accouterments - great for leisurely rides and hauling stuff around but hardly sporty. It was cool to see Court enjoy the heady feeling of a quick and nimble bike. Hopefully the market will divide itself into bikes for people who love cycling and bikes for those looking for transportation/hauling. I definitely have to go try one of these. Not saying I can afford one until the aluminum version comes out but I expect that will be nice too. I wonder what these types of bikes will do to the more traditional expensive euro-bikes like R&M, Bull and so forth. It certainly makes them look out-of-date and clunky. It may not be a big deal in Europe with their 15.5 mph cut off but I would expect that this will draw many of the customers who would have spent 6k and up for some of the other brands.

This style of bike makes a lot of sense in europe and fulfills a real need. Assist on hills and during acceleration with no extra weight penalty while cruising on manual power. It’s perfect for high speed commuting in countries with lower assist speeds. In the US you can just use a 70lb fat tire monster at 28mph so it’s more a personal preference towards a traditional bike feel that draws me to this bike.

I am a long-time commuter with 2013 Specialized Turbo. My one way trip is 10.3 mile, so 20.6 mile in total and ignoring any workday errands. I work long days, leaving and returning in the dark, and often returning against afternoon diurnally driven sea breezes. I am a mountain biker. I am not a road biker. if I am going to pedal, I am going to get some adrenaline and while also bringing the dog to enjoy the forest and the redwoods. I commute because I believe in it and I hate sitting in traffic.

I have always commuted by bike in graduate school but tended to live within a 5 mile radius, which is ideal distance without needing assist. When we bought our house, it was farther than I wanted for commuting, but couldn't afford to pay the higher housing prices to live closer. I am a believer in the "pedal" electric assist when it first came out, I was an early adapter. I learned quickly that the Turbo was workhorse, so I add more weight to the bike - wooden fenders, Thule rack, pannier bags, my lunch bag, extra rear light light, dedicated lock. Its easily 60lbs. Its a beast but it works.

I have been demoing with the notion of buying a Specialized Creo Evo. I like the concept. At first, I was on the fence - the cost versus the value recognition. Now I love bikes, love tinkering with new bikes, like gadgets, live far enough away to appreciate using electric assist, see the value in electric assist, value commuting, and have an income to pay for this bike. I feel that I represent a very small segment of the population and if I am on the fence I am curious who else will buy this.

The question was am I a biker or commuter? This a conundrum. The Turbo is convenient.

The Creo is an awesome commuter. It is way more natural to ride and therefore fun. My speeds/time are almost the same but the experience is different and more enjoyable onboard the Creo. The Turbo promotes a different type of pedaling and response and because of this - you kind of ride it with less engagement. You are more along for the ride. With the Creo you are more integrated into the ride. You actually work harder on the Creo but in a more natural manner that supports pedaling harder. The Turbo gets up to speed quicker and uphills faster, but the Creo support pedaling faster when up to speed.

As I said, I am a mountain biker. I am testing a large (typically ride a medium) because we are going to switch the bars to flat bars. With flat bars, this bike is going to be a blast.

I need to get fenders for it, lights, and debating a dedicated pannier rack or whether to go back to just using a backpack.

The Turbo was always cumbersome bringing up to my office and when running errands. Furthermore, when I bring truck for service, lifting the Turbo onto the tailgate, requires a few seconds preparation before lifting. The Creo - just throw it over the tailgate.

More to follow, but I am convert!

Last edited:
With a monthly payment of 7-800$ for 10-12 months the Creo is attainable.
Is the Ultimate Toy.

I hope M. Snyder of Specialized gifted you one , the review is outstanding and w/o a doubt will have many people purchase it.
Hopefully they will pay attention to your input regarding the minor issues and for 2021 have it updated.

Q- Did Court said that it can only shift one gear at a time ??
I don't have time to go now through the review again but i clearly heard him saying that.

Why is that and is it for all Creo models ?

I wonder if the speed assistance limit for Creo really is 28 mph in all models or it is country region specific. How it is @Dude! with your Creo? How it is with your Creo in Australia @OzGreg? Specialized.com pages are silent about that.

I wonder if the speed assistance limit for Creo really is 28 mph in all models or it is country region specific. How it is @Dude! with your Creo? How it is with your Creo in Australia @OzGreg? Specialized.com pages are silent about that.
On the Turbo, when I go past 28MPH, it stops and feels like I am towing a boat. With the Creo (that has 28PMH assist), I exceed 28MPH and its fine. I am actually hitting higher MPH with the Creo. I want a bigger chain ring. I am often spinning out on the declines. I have a few hills on my commute. The Creo feels best on the flats or slight inclines, as the gearing feels appropriate. I am not using the full range. Note that I am a masher not a spinner. I am also pedaling in flat pedals (no clips). I am also in street clothes, jacket, etc. I am not aerodynamic by any means! I am in the US, live and commute near Monterey California.

Dude! I am planning on buying an aluminum Creo when they become available.

Looking at the Creo the clearance on the chainring looks pretty tight. Doesn't look like there's room to fit a larger chainring. I would love to throw a 48 or 50 on there in place of the 46. With the cassette having a 42T I think a low gear of 50/42 would be fine. That's a lower gear than 34/28 and you have a motor to help you up the hill, a 46/42 seems way too low a gear. I mean how fast are you going when you're spinning such a small gear?

No it's 28 : But with 120 Cadence support you can get up past 28 peddling hard
I’d say that it’s 25km/h ( 15.5mph) in Australia. OzGreg says in an early post in this thread that power is cut off at 27.5km/h.
Creos sold in Sweden will have the 25km/h limit too. Could be more like 27.5km/h as there seems to be an acceptance for 10%+
My LBS has a Comp Evo in my size as a demo. It’s also possible to rent the bike for a full day. I’d like to do that.

In the US, the class 3 limit is 28MPH which this is.
Specialized do not specify what Class it is, do they?
(Europe requires specific gear such as lights, horn, mirror, number plate, etc on a speed bike so I wonder).

I’d say that it’s 25km/h ( 15.5mph) in Australia. OzGreg says in an early post in this thread that power is cut off at 27.5km/h.
Creos sold in Sweden will have the 25km/h limit too. Could be more like 27.5km/h as there seems to be an acceptance for 10%+
My LBS has a Comp Evo in my size as a demo. It’s also possible to rent the bike for a full day. I’d like to do that.
Please do that. It is a pity, isn't it.

Specialized do not specify what Class it is, do they?
(Europe requires specific gear such as lights, horn, mirror etc on a speed bike so I wonder).
For the US, they are defined by Class. Class 1 (assist) - mountain bike, limited to 20MPH, Class 3 (assist) - road bike limited to 28MPH. there are other classes from non-assist, but don't know those offhand. I just checked and mine has a sticker that states class 3.

Hey, if you can afford it, and get value out of it, why not? I wonder if the Evo version would be worth considering for you. Presumably tougher tires, and maybe those flared bars might be good enough that you don’t have to put a flat bar on it and change the shifter. Closer to your preferred type of riding.

I think Specialized has hit it out of the park with this bike, or will once the aluminum and less expensive versions hit. Anyway, looking forward to your impressions of it however you go.

As an original Turbo owner, you know what a hot ticket that was when it came out. Looks like they’ve done it again.

For the US, they are defined by Class.
It is "a normal bicycle" (15.5 mph restriction) or an "S-Pedelec" (28 mph limit) in Europe and it seems in Australia, too. It's a pity. But that's the law we have in the EU. So no Creo for me unless the law changes or Creo could be seamlessly unrestricted.

Hey, if you can afford it, and get value out of it, why not? I wonder if the Evo version would be worth considering for you. Presumably tougher tires, and maybe those flared bars might be good enough that you don’t have to put a flat bar on it and change the shifter. Closer to your preferred type of riding.

I think Specialized has hit it out of the park with this bike, or will once the aluminum and less expensive versions hit. Anyway, looking forward to your impressions of it however you go.

As an original Turbo owner, you know what a hot ticket that was when it came out. Looks like they’ve done it again.
Thanks! I have done various calculations. Govt mileage rate is estimated around 58 cents/mile so about $12/day roundtrip for me. Now this includes gas, wear and tear, and insurance. So if you round down to $10 day as you still pay insurance on your car, and there is a cost for the bike wear and tear. It is conservative and easy to compute at $10/day. There are 230 work days in a year (minus vacation and holidays). If I biked everyday, that is a $2300/year -in savings on my vehicle. The bike is paid off in about 3 years. This doesn't include health benefits as well as mental benefits. Let's conservatively say its $1000k per year. I bought my Turbo in January 2013 (so 7 years) for $4k. It has more than paid for itself. Hence I am mentally using my Turbo savings for the Creo -- haha! Anyway to justify the costs -haha. I did this with my wife recently as she wanted an electric car and I said a bike is a better value. We got her a $2900 Giant as she was on the fence and now she is using to commute.

Thanks for the handlebar mention. This is biggest unknown for me because I am not a road biker. Some flat bars, I will be hitting some gap jumps with it -haha!

I ride twice a week with a seniors group. For these rides I use either my Specialized Diverge (winter bike), or my Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0 (good weather bike). Lately, I'm finding that when I want to bike to the store, or go for an adventure ride, I take my Pedego RidgeRider e-mountain/road bike. Having that extra e-boost up the hills is nice too.
Exploring new roads, both paved and gravel, and trails, is fun on the RidgeRider, okay on the Diverge and painful on my Defy.

That's why I'm leaning towards the Creo Carbon EVO. I figure it would fine for the group rides and work great on gravel roads and easier trails.

Back