Specialized Turbo Creo 28mph Electric Road Bike

I would think with clamps you can always mount a rack, but I would be cautious with clamps on a carbon frame. I'm hoping to get an aluminum Creo as my LBS said they're coming, though they said that back in August and you'd expect them to be here by now.

I had a rack mounted to my aluminum cross bike as it didn't have any rack mounts and it worked just fine.
With no designed mounting points, I wouldn't even consider clamps on a carbon frame. I'm not even sure I would use a rack clamped to the seat post. I have a rear rack on my Yamaha Wabash but it's an aluminum frame and there are threaded mounting points designed for a rack.

How would one pedal @28mph with a 46t crank ??
That hamster 46t wheel, small battery and very slow charging rate are not really good at all.

I was wondering about top speed with the 46t crank as well. I was wondering if one could use a 48t or 50t, but the clearance already looks pretty tight. Not sure it's possible.

Can you even mount a rack on the Creo? I don't see any mounting points in the pictures.
There are mounting points on the Creo near the axel. In the manual it outlines to use a seatpost with mounting points (specialized makes one specifically for the Diverge / Creo). I just fitted my Creo Comp with one this weekend and works quite well.

How would one pedal @28mph with a 46t crank ??
That hamster 46t wheel, small battery and very slow charging rate are not really good at all.
45kph / 28mph according to https://www.gear-calculator.com/

Cadence 95 in second highest gear. Cadence 81 in highest gear
45094 45095

Thanks for the commentary. It is really nice to read the experience of someone who has owned both bikes. This provides very useful information on the relative efficiency of the motors that was alluded to in the Road Bike Action review i.e. the motor on the Creo is really efficient, so the relatively small battery is not that big a deal. Whereas something like the Giant Road-E which has only a slightly bigger battery at 375 wh but a much less efficient motor probably gets a lot less range than the Creo.

I have been leaning towards the Creo and this helps quite a bit. Once we get some spring weather I would love to get further impressions when you get more time on the Creo. Maybe a new thread to report on your real world experience with the Creo. My LBS told me back in August that aluminum Creos would be coming and one could be had for $6k Cdn. but they haven't arrived yet and it could be quite a while.

I might want to transport the bike with a top tube rack so I want an aluminum one instead of a carbon one. But who knows, if I get tired waiting maybe I'll spend the $8k Cdn. for a carbon one.
I just test rode the new aluminum Creo here in Erie, PA (USA) at $5000. Only did a half hour on two of my local hills but was happy with the result. Only negatives: motor hum and no way to go from a higer mode to a lower mode without 2b or 3b clicking.

Thanks for the commentary. It is really nice to read the experience of someone who has owned both bikes. This provides very useful information on the relative efficiency of the motors that was alluded to in the Road Bike Action review i.e. the motor on the Creo is really efficient, so the relatively small battery is not that big a deal. Whereas something like the Giant Road-E which has only a slightly bigger battery at 375 wh but a much less efficient motor probably gets a lot less range than the Creo.

I have been leaning towards the Creo and this helps quite a bit. Once we get some spring weather I would love to get further impressions when you get more time on the Creo. Maybe a new thread to report on your real world experience with the Creo. My LBS told me back in August that aluminum Creos would be coming and one could be had for $6k Cdn. but they haven't arrived yet and it could be quite a while.

I might want to transport the bike with a top tube rack so I want an aluminum one instead of a carbon one. But who knows, if I get tired waiting maybe I'll spend the $8k Cdn. for a carbon one.
I just test rode the new aluminum Creo here in Erie, PA (USA) at $5000. Only did a half hour on two of my local hills but was happy with the result. Only negatives: motor hum and no way to go from a higher mode to a lower mode without 2b or 3b clicking.

I just test rode the new aluminum Creo here in Erie, PA (USA) at $5000. Only did a half hour on two of my local hills but was happy with the result. Only negatives: motor hum and no way to go from a higher mode to a lower mode without 2b or 3b clicking.
Have photos of it? Haven't seen it even on the specialized site and interested what paint scheme they did on it.

I never turn the motor off on the Creo but if I wanted to it's done with a long press of the select button. A short push cycles through the three support levels and a long push turns support off or back on but leaves power on to the TCU electronics. If I turned it off completely by pressing the power button the bike is still rideable but the TCU stops sending speed cadence and power to my Garmin.
I just wish I didn't have to double and triple click to go down a mode. And that the motor was quieter.

I test rode the aluminum Creo (Erie, PA USA) at $5000. Only did a half hour on some hills near my home so I need a longer ride when the weather improves. I like it's hill climbing ability but do not like:
1. motor hum
2. the fact that to go down from a higher mode you have to double or triple click.

Here's the new E5 colors, we should be getting our stock any day! Shoot me a message with any questions.

Here's what Specialized has to say:

We have a long history of developing the world's highest performing road bikes. Tarmac, Venge, Roubaix, Allez, Diverge—each one dominates their respective category, featuring the best technologies in the industry. And while that's a tough palmarès to follow, the Turbo Creo SL redefines e-road bike performance. It's lightweight, smooth, capable, and lively—all with the power to flatten mountains, laugh at headwinds, and go farther than you ever thought possible. It's you, only faster.

The Turbo Creo SL E5 Comp features an E5 Premium Aluminum frame and a Future Shock 1.5. For the spec, we included a 1x Shimano GRX group to take on shifting and braking duties, while DT R470 Boost™ wheels get wrapped in 28mm Turbo Pro tires to keep you rolling worry-free. And for the saddle, you'll find that our fan-favorite Body Geometry Power Sport provides plenty of comfort.

• The Creo SL is the lightest e-bike in its class—literally kilograms lighter than the competition. Not only does the lightweight and stiff, premium E5 alloy frame inspire dancing on the pedals and diving into corners, it also reduces overall system weight and increases the range.
  • The lightweight SL 1.1 motor doubles your effort with as much as 240 watts of silent and powerful assistance to amplify your ride. The motor’s responsive torque curve delivers power perfectly in-tune with your normal riding cadence and leaves no resistance when riding unassisted.
  • Battery anxiety? Not on the Creo SL. With up to 80 miles of range from the internal battery, the Creo SL eats up big miles and long days. Our optional range extender provides up to 40 additional miles of mountain-flattening power.
  • By connecting with our Mission Control App, you're able to tune the SL 1.1 motor to your riding style, record rides, and monitor the battery. The app can handle battery management automatically too, ensuring the battery will last as long as you need it to. The motor even has a built-in power meter that transmits to any ANT+ head unit. Don’t want to connect? No worries—the Turbo Connect Unit (TCU) on the top tube gives you all the control you need to ride.
  • With the Future Shock 1.5, you'll feel a reduction in fatigue and an increase in speed, no matter the terrain. The Future Shock 1.5 is progressively tuned for road and gravel and gives you more control via a knob atop the stem. The new Smooth Boot and top cap also enhance the aesthetic, so you get a clean transition from head tube to stem.
  • We’ve learned there can be more difference between two male cyclists than between a male and a female cyclist. Gender alone doesn’t provide enough data to specialize. It means that separating bikes as male or female is arbitrary and outdated. With this in mind, we've developed a geometry that's best-fit for all riders—one that's comfortable, snappy, and handles like a dream.

Attachments

• 98120-62_CREO-SL-E5-COMP-CSTBLU-BLK-HYP_HERO.jpg
    98120-62_CREO-SL-E5-COMP-CSTBLU-BLK-HYP_HERO.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 297
  • 98120-61_CREO-SL-E5-COMP-BLK-BLK-STRMGRY_HERO.jpg
    98120-61_CREO-SL-E5-COMP-BLK-BLK-STRMGRY_HERO.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 299
  • 98120-60_CREO-SL-E5-COMP-FLORED-BLK_HERO.jpg
    98120-60_CREO-SL-E5-COMP-FLORED-BLK_HERO.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 287
I wonder what the differences are between the carbon fiber and aluminum models. I note that the CF models have the Future Shock 2.0 while the aluminum model has a Future Shock 1.5. What's the difference there? I don't see the weight of the aluminum mentioned. Does the aluminum model only come in the SL configuration or is there also the SL EVO model?

I would suspect it's about a pound heavier than the Comp model, maybe a little more. Wheels are the same as it's the only off the shelf road-boost wheelset available. Biggest difference from 2.0 to 1.5 Futureshock is hydraulic dampening to smooth out vibrations.

I wonder what the differences are between the carbon fiber and aluminum models. I note that the CF models have the Future Shock 2.0 while the aluminum model has a Future Shock 1.5. What's the difference there? I don't see the weight of the aluminum mentioned. Does the aluminum model only come in the SL configuration or is there also the SL EVO model?
The aluminum weighs a few pounds more and has aluminum instead of carbon rims. To me the cheaper shock works just as well. Thus saving about $1200.

The aluminum one is on the Canadian website now. Listed at the price my LBS said it would be back in August. I'm pretty excited. Don't think I can get to my LBS before high school basketball season is over, but as soon as I can fit it in I'll be there!

I took a short test ride on a Turbo Creo SL Comp today. I mainly wanted to compare it to my current Yamaha Wabash. The Creo definitely has a true road bike feel to it. I could feel its lightness in maneuverability compared to the 45lb Wabash, which feels more like riding a mountain bike. The Creo felt much more like my acoustic 21lb Wilier. The motor noise was much lower than the Yamaha PW-SE. It was just a soft whine. The boost levels were set to stock. When seated but climbing a mild hill, the lowest setting (ECO) at 35% felt much like the lowest Yamaha setting (ECO+) at 50%. I did notice that when I stood up climbing a hill, the Creo boost wasn't near that of the Yamaha. This may be the result of the Creo having only 35Nm of torque while the Wabash has 70Nm. I believe the Creo stock ECO setting is 35% of input and 35% of Peak Power which might also limit the response when standing. The Wabash is 50% input and 100% of Peak Power. On the Wabash I spend the majority of time in the lowest boost setting so I didn't spend much time testing the Sport or Turbo settings on the Creo but both had a noticeable higher boost than ECO. The Turbo was enough boost that on level ground it felt like I was ghost peddling. Fortunately, the color I wanted (Pearl White/Red) wasn't in stock so I had an excuse to back off and think about it some more.

It's there when you hit the 'Discover Creo' button but not if you just scroll down.

It's there when you hit the 'Discover Creo' button but not if you just scroll down.

On the US site you have to hit the "Shop Turbo Creo" button on the first screen, right below the "It's You, Only Faster" heading.

Back