Specialized TCD-W with built-in anti-theft feature?

Sierratim

Region
USA
City
Nevada City, CA & Paradise Valley, AZ
Was checking out the lower price on the Vado 5 and noticed under E-BIKE that the Tech Specs now include,
UI/REMOTESpecialized TCD-W w/ handlebar remote & built-in anti-theft feature, Bluetooth® connectivity, 5 available display pages
This spec was not in the Tech Specs last Spring. I went over a current download ofthe instructions for the TCD, but don't see anything about an anti-theft feature. Anyone up to date on this?

Was checking out the lower price on the Vado 5 and noticed under E-BIKE that the Tech Specs now include,
UI/REMOTESpecialized TCD-W w/ handlebar remote & built-in anti-theft feature, Bluetooth® connectivity, 5 available display pages
This spec was not in the Tech Specs last Spring. I went over a current download ofthe instructions for the TCD, but don't see anything about an anti-theft feature. Anyone up to date on this?
When I purchased my Vado last fall I wrote a letter to Specialized asking them to look into a password like feature in the display or Mission Control to disable the motor or battery for security. This was important as the new display was not removable and anyone could easily turn on the bike from the button on the battery. This seemed easy enough to program.
they actually wrote back and said they will look into that.
Not saying that this new feature is as a result of my recommendation. It only makes sense and easy enough to do (I thought).
Glad they have done something.
now we need to see what they did and how to incorporate that into our older bikes.
Hope they don’t have it only for the new models.
Great find Tim. I will look into how to...

my note to them on Sept 2019:
“One wish list item if you could communicate to your team.
Would it be hard to, through either control monitor or mission control, to lock the battery and or motor so it makes it hard for someone to start the motor and steal the bike. The owner can activate with a passcode like iphone.

On my old bike the control monitor was removable (like your Vado 6), and there was no on/off switch on the battery. The only way to start the motor was to reinstall the monitor. For quick grocery run I removed the monitor and physically locked the bike.
I realize I can remove the battery but this is cumbersome specially now that the seals are tight since the bike is brand new.
Your thoughts please. “

Last edited:
When I purchased my Vado last fall I wrote a letter to Specialized asking them to look into a password like feature in the display or Mission Control to disable the motor or battery for security. This was important as the new display was not removable and anyone could easily turn on the bike from the button on the battery. This seemed easy enough to program.
they actually wrote back and said they will look into that.
Not saying that this new feature is as a result of my recommendation. It only makes sense and easy enough to do (I thought).
Glad they have done something.
now we need to see what they did and how to incorporate that into our older bikes.
Hope they don’t have it only for the new models.
Great find Tim. I will look into how to...

my note to them on Sept 2019:
“One wish list item if you could communicate to your team.
Would it be hard to, through either control monitor or mission control, to lock the battery and or motor so it makes it hard for someone to start the motor and steal the bike. The owner can activate with a passcode like iphone.

On my old bike the control monitor was removable (like your Vado 6), and there was no on/off switch on the battery. The only way to start the motor was to reinstall the monitor. For quick grocery run I removed the monitor and physically locked the bike.
I realize I can remove the battery but this is cumbersome specially now that the seals are tight since the bike is brand new.
Your thoughts please. “
I had expressed similar sentiments to our LBS, a multi-decade Specialized dealer, and to Specialized Support via email. Never heard back, but it would be great if something actually got done...😎

Can only assume they are lying. I have the latest model Vado 4.0 which is clearly listed on the website as having the anti theft feature but I have no idea what they are talking about. In fact I had an earlier model Vado 4.0 and the display could be removed but it’s on permanently on the new bike so is actually worse for anti theft.

Can only assume they are lying. I have the latest model Vado 4.0 which is clearly listed on the website as having the anti theft feature but I have no idea what they are talking about. In fact I had an earlier model Vado 4.0 and the display could be removed but it’s on permanently on the new bike so is actually worse for anti theft.

This is the reply I received from Specialized Support UK;

Thanks for getting in touch regarding your Specialized Vado 4.0. I apologise for the delayed response, we've been experiencing an unusually high contact rate and as such our response times are increased.

The anti-theft facility is an additional plate sitting beneath the Turbo Connect Display (TCD-W). This is a structural addition rather than software, and should have been installed when assembled by the retailer. The plate stops the twisting and removal of the TCD-W when installed. I have attached an image of the ant-twist plate installation and the Vado User Manual which refers to it on page 12.

I hope this helps.

I don't think this is lying, it is just a poor explanation of what is being offered.

This is the reply I received from Specialized Support UK;

Thanks for getting in touch regarding your Specialized Vado 4.0. I apologise for the delayed response, we've been experiencing an unusually high contact rate and as such our response times are increased.

The anti-theft facility is an additional plate sitting beneath the Turbo Connect Display (TCD-W). This is a structural addition rather than software, and should have been installed when assembled by the retailer. The plate stops the twisting and removal of the TCD-W when installed. I have attached an image of the ant-twist plate installation and the Vado User Manual which refers to it on page 12.

I hope this helps.

I don't think this is lying, it is just a poor explanation of what is being offered.

Sorry, I don’t understand. My display does twist and come off but is still connected to the bike with the wires so can’t be separated for security. So you are saying it shouldn’t be possible to twist and remove it all? I think I prefer the way it is as if I need to turn the bike upside down to fix a puncture, all the weight of the bike is on the display which could also get scratched on the ground.

Sorry, I don’t understand. My display does twist and come off but is still connected to the bike with the wires so can’t be separated for security. So you are saying it shouldn’t be possible to twist and remove it all? I think I prefer the way it is as if I need to turn the bike upside down to fix a puncture, all the weight of the bike is on the display which could also get scratched on the ground.
Specialized started promoting an "anti-theft" feature in the display within the past year. It's not clear when the metal plate was added to production models. Your bike was apparently built before this change went into effect.

Take a look at Handlebar Jack online. It is a device for when you turn your bike upside down for fixing flats. Very small and light to carry.
It is an interesting addition to my bag. Thankfully I have not had to use it yet.
It protects the display and other things you have attached to the handlebars.

Back