Spare battery costs

Again this week we got a report of a budget battery failing and destroying a home. The family is gutted. Another report of a UPP battery with a bad BMS. And the warranty coverage is sending a new BMS to the customer. How many here are up for changing out a BMS?
Really Thomas? And to think you're selling people home made ones! Maybe YOU should stick to branded original batteries. Unless you also have "incredible" quality control.

Last edited:
Really Thomas? And to think you're selling people home made ones! Maybe YOU should stick to branded original batteries. Unless you also have "incredible" quality control.
Whoa! Let’s slow down. I do not sell home made batteries. I do build my own, strictly personal use, and have sold batteries from top tier battery builders. I don’t share my experience to demean your success, but find it important that others are aware of risks with the low price China sellers. Endless_sphere has many scores of posts regarding the pitfalls. That said, I took risks. Won some lost some. But now get that the right source and a few more dollars helps me sleep at night. As always, YMMV

So from reading this thread- I take it buying an off brand battery from ebay is kind of dangerous? I kind of wanted another battery but I can't really afford the $1,000 for a true extra battery. Is there anyway to know if any of these batteries are ok? To be truthful, I don't even know if I'll need an extra battery. I'm just a little worried that I'll end up with a dead battery and have to walk it up the very steep hill I live on.

I kind of wanted another battery but I can't really afford the $1,000 for a true extra battery.
Buy the biggest battery you can with your bike. It'll be a great cell pack if from a reputable bike builder. Then go riding and don't sweat it. You won't need a spare to get home up a hill, but do sort out potential mileage between charges. 17Ah batteries are getting common and that ought to deliver a strong 20-25 miles with lots of assist.

Last edited:
So from reading this thread- I take it buying an off brand battery from ebay is kind of dangerous? I kind of wanted another battery but I can't really afford the $1,000 for a true extra battery. Is there anyway to know if any of these batteries are ok? To be truthful, I don't even know if I'll need an extra battery. I'm just a little worried that I'll end up with a dead battery and have to walk it up the very steep hill I live on.
Hi,
I realised quite quickly that I'd need another battery due to a preference for 35+ mile rides living in a hilly area. I didn't get my spare battery off ebay but used a reputable german company. It's a quality product just not an original branded battery but cost under 50% less. I've had no problems thus far and am pleased with my purchase.
There's a lot of scaremongering masquerading as cautionary advice.

What country do you live in? I got a defective weld battery from both btrbattery of Amazon, and from a LA warehouse allegedly selling Sun-ebike batteries on e-bay. I got one that works and costs $630 from Lunacycle in sou CA. People say good things about grintech of Vancouver, and EM3EV of HongKong.

What country do you live in? I got a defective weld battery from both btrbattery of Amazon, and from a LA warehouse allegedly selling Sun-ebike batteries on e-bay. I got one that works and costs $630 from Lunacycle in sou CA. People say good things about grintech of Vancouver, and EM3EV of HongKong.

I live in WA, and to me the fact that you got two bad batteries is scary. How did you know they were bad? Did they just not work, etc? I'll keep thinking/looking into those other places.

Can you use a halo bolt- which is a battery recharger that is powerful enough to jump a car battery and has a plug in- to add some juice to your bike battery? Would it work, be dangerous?

How do you know he won't need one as he hasn't said how far he's ridden before he gets to the hill?

SHE could be overbuying jumping on a spare battery immediately. But I think since we aren't being told about an eBike purchase you're putting the cart before the horse.

There need to be cautionary tales. Some here have sold many batteries and have owned batteries from several sources. There are reports nearly every day across forums, and I get a couple of calls each week from buyers with bunk batteries. I personally know of two house fires with poorly constructed batteries. BTW there are good sellers on eBay, it's hard to sort out which to use, but some are a toss up.

I live in WA, and to me the fact that you got two bad batteries is scary. How did you know they were bad? Did they just not work, etc? I'll keep thinking/looking into those other places.

Can you use a halo bolt- which is a battery recharger that is powerful enough to jump a car battery and has a plug in- to add some juice to your bike battery? Would it work, be dangerous?
Did you buy a bike?
I'm not sure what charger you a talking about, but eBike batteries should only be charged with chargers specifically for your eBike battery.
If it's capable of jumping a car battery it's a 12V charger. Useless for an eBike battery. There are alternatives, but not good for new to eBike riders due to complexity. Your eBike will come with a charger. Use that.

SHE could be overbuying jumping on a spare battery immediately. But I think since we aren't being told about an eBike purchase you're putting the cart before the horse.

There need to be cautionary tales. Some here have sold many batteries and have owned batteries from several sources. There are reports nearly every day across forums, and I get a couple of calls each week from buyers with bunk batteries. I personally know of two house fires with poorly constructed batteries. BTW there are good sellers on eBay, it's hard to sort out which to use, but some are a toss up.[/QU

A good example of "putting the cart before the horse" would be claiming to know how far a battery will go before knowing anything about it.
As far as ebay is concerned I'm sure there are good sellers - I only said I didn't buy from there. A reputable manufacturer was my advice.....to HER.

Last edited:
Did you buy a bike?
I'm not sure what charger you a talking about, but eBike batteries should only be charged with chargers specifically for your eBike battery.
If it's capable of jumping a car battery it's a 12V charger. Useless for an eBike battery. There are alternatives, but not good for new to eBike riders due to complexity. Your eBike will come with a charger. Use that.

Yes, I bought a 2018 Haibike XDURO trekking S low-step 9.0. I haven't picked it up yet.

This could all be mute because I don't know if I'll need an extra battery or not but I'm worried because I do live in a pretty hilly area and I specifically live on the top of a very steep hill that's probably half a mile or more. It's the reason I stopped ridding my regular bike. I would have to walk the bike up the hill to get home.

So the bike charger would plug into the halo to add power to it, was what I was thinking.

I believe a Halo Bolt is a 12V lithium battery for automotive applications. Yes, that would be dangerous to connect it to an arbitrary ebike battery.

Ebike batteries can range from 24 to 59 volts. You never want to connect two batteries together unless they are showing the same voltage on a meter. That means you cannot blithely connect two 48V ebike batteries torgether, even if both are the same make, because one may be fully charged at 54.6V and the other is discharged at 42V. You gotta be technical and check the voltages.

The uninformed person shouldn't even be thinking about connecting batteries together. Not to be mixing chargers from different batteries either.

Yes, I bought a 2018 Haibike XDURO trekking S low-step 9.0. I haven't picked it up yet.

This could all be mute because I don't know if I'll need an extra battery or not but I'm worried because I do live in a pretty hilly area and I specifically live on the top of a very steep hill that's probably half a mile or more. It's the reason I stopped ridding my regular bike. I would have to walk the bike up the hill to get home.

So the bike charger would plug into the halo to add power to it, was what I was thinking.
No need to add power. Using a 12V booster could damage your battery. Stay with the charger that comes with the bike. Ride up your hill when you get the bike and see just how much battery you use.

I believe a Halo Bolt is a 12V lithium battery for automotive applications. Yes, that would be dangerous to connect it to an arbitrary ebike battery.

Ebike batteries can range from 24 to 59 volts. You never want to connect two batteries together unless they are showing the same voltage on a meter. That means you cannot blithely connect two 48V ebike batteries torgether, even if both are the same make, because one may be fully charged at 54.6V and the other is discharged at 42V. You gotta be technical and check the voltages.

The uninformed person shouldn't even be thinking about connecting batteries together. Not to be mixing chargers from different batteries either.

Thanks, I didn't think of the halo as another battery or that it could be dangerous. I'm clueless about things like that.

how many miles and elevation do you have to climb ?

Good, reputable suppliers/manufacturers can be found if you're diligent. And the good news is prices are steadily falling - even since this thread began.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-03-28-17-07-14~01.png
    Screenshot_2019-03-28-17-07-14~01.png
    502.8 KB · Views: 483
Agreed and I have accepted and am grateful for other 'opinions' but surely when someone says something isn't what I know it actually is I can correct them.
My whole point in this issue is to help and inform others. As I said time will tell as far as the quality is concerned and I'd like to post (factual) updates to those who are interested. In other words if the battery ends off being of inferior quality and/or lets me down in any way I will gladly let everyone know.✌

I have had 3 of these nx batteries now. They do fail within a year which is actually a good thing. Allbatterries are very good with the returns. They come with a year guarantee.....I paid 200 for mine in a sale, and can see that I will always have a new battery every year for 200...it was worth it.

Good, reputable suppliers/manufacturers can be found if you're diligent. And the good news is prices are steadily falling - even since this thread began.

Has anyone used (bought) this battery in the UK?

I've looked for reviews and threads on net and keep reading negative things too often about third party ebike batteries. Too many people say they lose capacity much faster and are prone to sudden deaths after the 1 year warranty is up. My original Yamaha 400Wh battery has done 21 000 miles (33 800 km), over 600 charge cycles now, and says it's still over 75% capacity.

Last edited:
Back