Spare Battery Carrier

Trinity

I'm planning to get a second battery for my NeoVolt and wonder what other riders do for carrying the extra battery. I'd like to find some way to secure it to the bike rack or to strap it above the existing battery.

I dunno, Trinity, battery packaging is the most difficult problem for E-bikes. The Neo Volt Sport (like yours and mine) has a fat banana shaped battery with very vulnerable contacts underneath at the back.
Us your existing battery to check if this works:
Protect the top of the spare battery against scratches and minor mechanical damage with rubberised fabric or something like that.
On the journey, carry your spare battery underneath the existing battery and fix it in place with nylon electrical ties (Zipties) When you need to swap batteries, cut off the zipties and discard. Use new zipties to secure the second battery for the homeward journey.

My experience with the Neo Volt Sport suggests that one battery will give you 72 km (45 miles). The tender parts of my body couldn't survive a longer journey on an unsprung bike. You could ask a friend to bring you a spare battery by car when the first one is depleted. Or you could carry your charger and visit friends for a few hours every 72 km.

Crazy Lenny may have a better solution, if he still visits the forum

Thanks for replying, David. I'm thinking something ABOVE the in-use battery ... maybe some foam bag that could Velcro strap around the in-use battery, then loops at front and back around the steering tube and seat post respectively.

There's always the backpack solution. But carrying a 6 kg battery in your backpack for 100 km could be less than pleasant. How about in the bag above your rear wheel? I don't really have a solution. Where is Crazy Lenny when you need him?
And while I have you in conversation, where did you get those fenders? Did they come with the bike? I need a pair for my bike

... where did you get those fenders? Did they come with the bike? I need a pair for my bike

They are original equipment on the NEO VOLT. ... as are the bike rack and lights. This is why I chose the NEO VOLT over the NEO VOLT SPORT. I would have liked the extra gear and hydraulic brakes of the SPORT, but thought the rack and lights might be more useful for me. As it turns out, the lights proved inadequate and the proprietary rack made finding accessories difficult. If you're looking for a lightweight fender, perhaps consider a seatpost rack with fender attachment.

(Oh... I really preferred the BLACK color rather than WHITE.... so no regrets. Love my EasyMotion!!)

Does anyone have experience with the Revelate Frame Bags? I'm wondering if a NEO battery would fit into one.

Folks, you get a standard rear rack to hang your panniers on, then put number two battery into a tripod case and strap it on top of the rack. There is room left over to slide a Kryptonite chain in there too. One strap must go around the end or else the battery will fall out onto the pavement. If the opening end of the tripod bag is against the seatpost, you must undo all the shock cords instead of just one at each battery swap. I can now enjoy a full day out instead of having to worry about selecting a good mid point to turn around at. I have a Easy Motion Neo Xtreme by the way.

NYCRider, could you share a picture of your setup? I tried this idea initially, but I didn't like having a six inch "tail" sticking out past the back of the bike.

Somewhere halfway down the first page of the following thread, a spare battery rack for some model of the EVO is mentioned and pictured. Hope it helps. It was posted by Crazy Lenny Ebikes. You might be interested to see that.

Somewhere halfway down the first page of the following thread, a spare battery rack for some model of the EVO is mentioned and pictured. Hope it helps. It was posted by Crazy Lenny Ebikes. You might be interested to see that.

Thanks, @K. Jones ... I did see this when it was first posted. If the (curved) Neo battery fits, then it might be the solution. Then I would need something else for other gear, since I wouldn't be able to use my trunk bag anymore. Just can't satisfy some people... Sheesh !!! LOL

The Arkel Metropolit
I'm planning to get a second battery for my NeoVolt and wonder what other riders do for carrying the extra battery. I'd like to find some way to secure it to the bike rack or to strap it above the existing battery.
@Trinity, the Arkel Metropolitan pannier is sufficiently large to hold an extra battery and the BH rack is strong enough also (See orange pannier in avatar picture.). The pannier can be expanded using an internal zippered pouch, which is needed because the battery is so long it would otherwise stick out an inch or two from the pannier opening. This exact model is no longer made by Arkel, but there should be other panniers that can transport an extra battery, if the Volt rack can accommodate the pannier.

Thanks, @Ebike Commuter ... I recently figured out a way to carry the spare battery. Like your suggestion to use a pannier ... I've done so with a pannier as far back as possible on a separate seat post rack. I have to remove my trunk bag (see my avatar) and then use the pannier instead. I just get enough heel clearance. I cannot use the OEM Volt rack because there wouldn't be enough ground clearance, let alone heel clearance. I will take a picture the next time I venture out for a longer ride needing me to carry the spare.

I'm looking for a better solution to carry a spare battery on the Neo Jumper. I used a backpack for 25-30 miles last weekend over gravel and had sore shoulders the next day. I was wondering if a large handlebar bag might suffice, or perhaps a triangle frame bag flipped upside down so that it mounted on the top tube and the front of the seat post? Maybe I'll have to make something...

http://www.bikepacking.com/gear/revelate-handlebar-bag-shootout-harness-vs-sweet-roll/

Last edited:
I'm looking for a better solution to carry a spare battery on the Neo Jumper. I used a backpack for 25-30 miles last weekend over gravel and had sore shoulders the next day. I was wondering if a large handlebar bag might suffice, or perhaps a triangle frame bag flipped upside down so that it mounted on the top tube and the front of the seat post? Maybe I'll have to make something...

Revelate designs visacha or pika. I was looking into these when I had my jumper.

Updating this old thread with a photo of my custom-made Spare Battery Bag for the EasyMotion Neo Volt. I made a detailed drawing for the bag and http://www.guyanthony.ca designed it to my specifications. It is secured by four Velcro straps. Very secure. Protecting (both) the batteries and the bike finish were top priorities. (I didn't bother removing the "ghetto" gaffer tape that covers the EasyMotion branding. I may try some PlastiDip on it, and will share new photos if anyone is interested.)

NeoVoltBatteryBag.jpg

I love my EasyMotion Neo Volt !!!

I bought a pannier for my rack that fits an extra battery in it.

Back