Sound Resonating through the bike when I move it? Help please

mfgrep

Region
USA
So my Specialized Vado SL: Last week I noticed it chirping at me a bit....mostly when I am in the garage. When I moved the handlebars I heard what I originally believed was an electronic chirp/beep. Upon further investigation I do not believe that it is an electronic(s) related noise but rather some rubbing that resonates through the bike's frame. It is a resonant rubbing sound...almost like a long beeeep.

When I move the handlebars back/forth I can make this sound appear....naturally I thought it might be the stem....or stem/fork connection.....I loosened....re-tightened....sure not to over-tighten. Even had the LBS torque it correctly. No dice (too loud in the shop for him to hear it...and he had little time to spare).

Further investigation....the noise persists...and when moving the bike....the sound is particularly present when I tilt the bike at a stand-still via the handlebars....the noise REALLY seems to be emanating from the mid/rear frame area....near the motor....although at one point I was determined that it was the rear hub.

Today I found that if/when I depress the rear brake lever which engages the rear brake...this noise entirely stops no matter how I move the bicycle.
From my lay perspective it might seem that the hydraulic brake cable for the rear brake is rubbing something somewhere inside the frame??? These are hydraulic (not mechanical) brakes....so there should be no pushing/pulling on the brake cable when depressed.

I know this post sounds cryptic. Anyone have a suggestion? What could this be? It is driving me crazy!!

I'd make sure my rear wheel axle is fully seated in the frame. Then if I still had the noise I'd center recenter the brake caliper on the disc.

It sounds like the brake pad is very gently touching the brake disk. When you tip the bike and move it, the slight flex in things causes things to move relative to each other. Grabbing the brake lever changes the contact on the pads so the sound disappears.

It sounds like the brake pad is very gently touching the brake disk. When you tip the bike and move it, the slight flex in things causes things to move relative to each other. Grabbing the brake lever changes the contact on the pads so the sound disappears.

Given that I re-create this sound most often while the bike is on its kickstand.....by moving the handlebars back/forth.....I never would have thought of this. I have chased this from the stem to the bottom of the motor before I finally realized that squeezing the rear brake lever stopped the sound.
I'll follow your lead tonight. Thank you.

Following: I’m having the exact same issue with the exact same symptoms (different bike, though). I agree that since squeezing the brake lever stops the sound from happening (both on the OP’s bike and mine), the sound is related to the brakes. But what’s the solution?

Following: I’m having the exact same issue with the exact same symptoms (different bike, though). I agree that since squeezing the brake lever stops the sound from happening (both on the OP’s bike and mine), the sound is related to the brakes. But what’s the solution?

I am nearly speechless.
So I put the bike up on a stand and checked both axles which were properly seated. To be certain I unscrewed and replaced.
I then removed the rear wheel from the bike and with a clean old t-shirt and isopropyl alcohol lightly cleaned the rear rotor (I did not remove the rotor .... I just did a half-assed job cleaning the rotor).
I then unscrewed the caliper mounting bolts till loose and squeezed the rear brake lever while tightening the caliper.
I then thought while I am at it.... to remove the pads.....and I cleaned the pads with ISO too....and I did a half-assed job with it as well.....because I didn't think that any of this could really be the cause of what I was hearing.

The sound is gone.

I swear to you....if you'd given me 12 guesses as to the source of this strange sound.....the sound that really occurred most when NOT using the bike....but rather just when I moved it around the garage....wiggling the handle bars back/forth....or when I leaned the bike side to side. The sound did cast an echo just a bit beyond the movements of the bike (if you know what I mean) and really were resonant....difficult to source....but not faint.

I would have SWORN that it was some cabling inside the frame rubbing like a cricket.

So thanks GizmoEV!!....seriously so happy that you chimed in....you saved me a great deal of time and frustration. THIS is precisely why I love this forum....which almost makes the internet seem like a peaceful place. Almost lol.

Last edited:
@GizmoEV gave the best answer. I usually ignore delicate noise that may occur when I'm walking my Vado SL as any noise disappears when I have started a ride. I would never ignore any noise during the ride though. One of funny noises that occurs on my e-bikes at times is loud squeaking. As the mid-drive motors are rather wide (have a big Q-factor), it happens the edge of my shoe rubs the crank! (No wonder cranks of my e-bikes have the paint rubbed off them on the outside!) :D

@GizmoEV gave the best answer. I usually ignore delicate noise that may occur when I'm walking my Vado SL as any noise disappears when I have started a ride. I would never ignore any noise during the ride though. One of funny noises that occurs on my e-bikes at times is loud squeaking. As the mid-drive motors are rather wide (have a big Q-factor), it happens the edge of my shoe rubs the crank! (No wonder cranks of my e-bikes have the paint rubbed off them on the outside!) :D

I try to ignore noise(s) but I admit that OCD gets the best of me at times. This particular sound was perturbing due to its volume, resonance, and unknown origin.
I tend to 'lighten up' a bit after some time passes with any new purchase....but I should expect some wear given my miles during the past 5-6 weeks.
My rear brakes were decidedly more grippy and quiet on this morning's ride....I believe that I will also clean my front rotor and pads asap and expect more of the same.
I do enjoy handling some of the bicycle maintenance on my own....and I am capable of the basics. I'd be interested in learning more and I plan to seek out the opportunity.

I try to ignore noise(s) but I admit that OCD gets the best of me at times.
I can relate. My fenders get bumped from time to time. I know the scraping sound from the tire means nothing, but I can only take it so long before I have to get off and bump the offending fender back into place.

Recently, my bottom bracket started making a grating sound on every left pedal downstroke. Sprung for the new pedals I'd been eyeing, but the noise persisted. The LBS found nothing wrong at first, then "rebuilt" the bottom bracket at my insistence to no effect. Finally made a warranty claim. The new bottom bracket cartridge fixed the problem, but had to endure the noise for over 2 months.

In the end, no permanent damage to the bike, but the grating drove me nuts as visions of bearing mayhem danced in my head.

Last edited:
I can relate. My fenders get bumped from time to time. I know the scraping sound from the tire means nothing, but I can only take it so long before I have to get off and bump the offending fender back into place.

Recently, my bottom bracket started making a grating sound on every left pedal downstroke. The LBS found nothing wrong at first, then "rebuilt" the bottom bracket at my insistence to no effect. Finally made a warranty claim. The new cartridge fixed the problem, but had to endure the noise for over 2 months. In the end, no permanent damage, but the grating drove me nuts as visions of bearing mayhem danced in my head.
It truly is a curse. They say that ignorance is bliss...... Some days I wish I were ignorant.

So thanks GizmoEV!!
You are welcome! I'm glad the problem was found. I started working on bicycles in 1978 and then was a formal bicycle mechanic while in college in the mid to late 1980s. It paid for my cycling habit. 😁 During all those years I learned to listen to bicycles to figure out what was needing fixed/adjusted on them. Sometimes it is a curse, however. I have the urge to tell people what to do on their bikes or go fix it my self.

You are welcome! I'm glad the problem was found. I started working on bicycles in 1978 and then was a formal bicycle mechanic while in college in the mid to late 1980s. It paid for my cycling habit. 😁 During all those years I learned to listen to bicycles to figure out what was needing fixed/adjusted on them. Sometimes it is a curse, however. I have the urge to tell people what to do on their bikes or go fix it my self.
Well, I certainly wish that you lived close to me!
Next time I have an issue I just may reach out to you first lol. Thanks again!

I am nearly speechless.
So I put the bike up on a stand and checked both axles which were properly seated. To be certain I unscrewed and replaced.
I then removed the rear wheel from the bike and with a clean old t-shirt and isopropyl alcohol lightly cleaned the rear rotor (I did not remove the rotor .... I just did a half-assed job cleaning the rotor).
I then unscrewed the caliper mounting bolts till loose and squeezed the rear brake lever while tightening the caliper.
I then thought while I am at it.... to remove the pads.....and I cleaned the pads with ISO too....and I did a half-assed job with it as well.....because I didn't think that any of this could really be the cause of what I was hearing.

The sound is gone.

I swear to you....if you'd given me 12 guesses as to the source of this strange sound.....the sound that really occurred most when NOT using the bike....but rather just when I moved it around the garage....wiggling the handle bars back/forth....or when I leaned the bike side to side. The sound did cast an echo just a bit beyond the movements of the bike (if you know what I mean) and really were resonant....difficult to source....but not faint.

I would have SWORN that it was some cabling inside the frame rubbing like a cricket.

So thanks GizmoEV!!....seriously so happy that you chimed in....you saved me a great deal of time and frustration. THIS is precisely why I love this forum....which almost makes the internet seem like a peaceful place. Almost lol.
A more polite word than "half-assed" is "desultory." I use it all the time, because it means "half-assed." But sounds more polite. I do a lot of stuff that is really desultory. See what I mean?

A more polite word than "half-assed" is "desultory." I use it all the time, because it means "half-assed." But sounds more polite. I do a lot of stuff that is really desultory. See what I mean?
Oooo.....I like it. In this day/age we could all stand for a bit more politeness in our lives eh? Excellent word indeed...I have only a faint recollection of the word 'desultory' but I'm pleased to add it to my vocabulary. Excellent.

Though I approached college in a desultory fashion 30-35 years ago....I did obtain an English/Creative Writing major (and a Sociology major too). What can I say about that now?....I was busy with the beers, the bongs, and the girls at that time. Can I get a re-do?

I still enjoy words, reading, and writing. From a young age I could easily spell most English words fluently despite a general lack of experience with those words. It has proven to be one of my only talents....and nearly as value-less as the college majors that I had selected. I have always and remain fascinated with humans....their reactions....their propensities....and their complexities.

This reminds me: I now have a 17 year old daughter. Throughout her schooling I was shocked to learn that spelling, typing, and cursive handwriting are no longer part of the curriculum. Times change. I also recall going to a local bank 3-4 years ago to open a new savings account with/for my daughter and requesting a 'checkbook register' for her. Both my daughter and my wife were wide-eyed and resistant to any such archaic record-keeping techniques. I was astounded. It took some minutes...but they were able to mollify me by pointing at the obvious....their cell phone/computer etc. Despite their winning argument....I am nearly certain that only a very small percentage of humans actually review their bank and/or credit statements monthly for potential errors. It is a new world.

Now in my early 50's and with a teenager in the house I sadly realize how little of what I had learned during my first 3-4 decades of life truly applies today. Sure I get along just fine, however, technologies (and language too) have moved at a breathtaking pace during the most recent several decades. It leaves me feeling older than I would prefer.

Oooo.....I like it. In this day/age we could all stand for a bit more politeness in our lives eh? Excellent word indeed...I have only a faint recollection of the word 'desultory' but I'm pleased to add it to my vocabulary. Excellent.

Though I approached college in a desultory fashion 30-35 years ago....I did obtain an English/Creative Writing major (and a Sociology major too). What can I say about that now?....I was busy with the beers, the bongs, and the girls at that time. Can I get a re-do?

I still enjoy words, reading, and writing. From a young age I could easily spell most English words fluently despite a general lack of experience with those words. It has proven to be one of my only talents....and nearly as value-less as the college majors that I had selected. I have always and remain fascinated with humans....their reactions....their propensities....and their complexities.

This reminds me: I now have a 17 year old daughter. Throughout her schooling I was shocked to learn that spelling, typing, and cursive handwriting are no longer part of the curriculum. Times change. I also recall going to a local bank 3-4 years ago to open a new savings account with/for my daughter and requesting a 'checkbook register' for her. Both my daughter and my wife were wide-eyed and resistant to any such archaic record-keeping techniques. I was astounded. It took some minutes...but they were able to mollify me by pointing at the obvious....their cell phone/computer etc. Despite their winning argument....I am nearly certain that only a very small percentage of humans actually review their bank and/or credit statements monthly for potential errors. It is a new world.

Now in my early 50's and with a teenager in the house I sadly realize how little of what I had learned during my first 3-4 decades of life truly applies today. Sure I get along just fine, however, technologies (and language too) have moved at a breathtaking pace during the most recent several decades. It leaves me feeling older than I would prefer.
I was an excellent speller at one time, but 27 years of reading and correcting student writing put an end to that. Double letters are the ones that perplex me most.

I was an excellent speller at one time, but 27 years of reading and correcting student writing put an end to that. Double letters are the ones that perplex me most.
You should probably stay away from Wales then. Another member posted this photo of one of their train stations...

1690323001868.png

I perfer "assholic" or "suckish". ;)

Back