Sorta decided: 2022 Nevo Automatiq (also eyeing Evelo Omega)

etchlings

Continuum Onyx Cytronex e-Mod, R&M Nevo Automatiq
Region
USA
Update: I nixed the manual CVT Charger3 from my choices. Great setup, but I already have the enviolo on an acoustic bike, so wanted the automatiq system and am now comparing bikes with those. For ease of getting me to use it when I would have used a car before around town.
—-
I’m hemming and hawing between the two. The aesthetics are different, the motor specs the same. One is red, the other white.

Anyone have insights to share on owning or having ridden both? I have an acoustic belt drive bike with the Enviolo 380 already, but haven’t been able to test drive the Automatiq setup anywhere. Our local R&M shop closed in May due to owner’s death and reopening is as yet unspecified.

I guess if I had huge feelings aesthetically, I’d be drawn to the mixte frame as it’s less “city bike share” in shape than the Nevo, and while I don’t hate the white or red, I don’t have any strong feelings either way.

Aside from that, differences are one is 0 mileage and the other has 300 mi 14 charge cycles, but both are pre-owned. The 2021 C3 has more external cabling up front than the 2022 Nevo.

I can’t tell from my research if there’s any serious differences in riding position or gross carrying weights or anything. Maybe I missed something? Didn’t see any other posts comparing these two either.

Any help appreciated!

Last edited:
Update: I nixed the manual CVT Charger3 from my choices. Great setup, but I already have the enviolo on an acoustic bike, so wanted the automatiq system and am now comparing bikes with those. For ease of getting me to use it when I would have used a car before around town.
—-
I’m hemming and hawing between the two. The aesthetics are different, the motor specs the same. One is red, the other white.

Anyone have insights to share on owning or having ridden both? I have an acoustic belt drive bike with the Enviolo 380 already, but haven’t been able to test drive the Automatiq setup anywhere. Our local R&M shop closed in May due to owner’s death and reopening is as yet unspecified.

I guess if I had huge feelings aesthetically, I’d be drawn to the mixte frame as it’s less “city bike share” in shape than the Nevo, and while I don’t hate the white or red, I don’t have any strong feelings either way.

Aside from that, differences are one is 0 mileage and the other has 300 mi 14 charge cycles, but both are pre-owned. The 2021 C3 has more external cabling up front than the 2022 Nevo.

I can’t tell from my research if there’s any serious differences in riding position or gross carrying weights or anything. Maybe I missed something? Didn’t see any other posts comparing these two either.

Any help appreciated!
Hi there --

I'm assuming you're in the DC area per your comments. I spoke to the East Coast R&M rep recently, and he told me that Terrapin Bikes in Bethesda is their new DC store going forward. Not sure on the timelines, but reaching out about the Nevo can't hurt.

Another option is Propel Bikes in Wilmington. Propel tends to have a lot of models in stock. The owner splits his time between Wilmington and Brooklyn locations, so essentially stock from both locations is accessible. The lack of sales tax is nice, too.

About comparing to the Evelo Omega ... I'd suggest looking over posts authored by Alaskan. Sadly, he is no longer with us. He was extremely knowledgeable about R&M bikes, having owned several. He was something of a Bosch snob but tried out the Evelo Omega when health issues prompted a change to more power + throttle. He loved the bike and never went back to R&M. He was the only person I can think of with solid experience w/ both brands. It helped that Evelo is a WA-based company, his home state.

I think it comes down to your needs at present. Def try to locate test rides, there's no substitute. Evelo is D2C but does, or at least used to have a 30-day trial period.

Depending on where you live, if you need recommendations of local shops that can support either purchase, lmk.

Hi there --

I'm assuming you're in the DC area per your comments. I spoke to the East Coast R&M rep recently, and he told me that Terrapin Bikes in Bethesda is their new DC store going forward. Not sure on the timelines, but reaching out about the Nevo can't hurt.

Another option is Propel Bikes in Wilmington. Propel tends to have a lot of models in stock. The owner splits his time between Wilmington and Brooklyn locations, so essentially stock from both locations is accessible. The lack of sales tax is nice, too.

About comparing to the Evelo Omega ... I'd suggest looking over posts authored by Alaskan. Sadly, he is no longer with us. He was extremely knowledgeable about R&M bikes, having owned several. He was something of a Bosch snob but tried out the Evelo Omega when health issues prompted a change to more power + throttle. He loved the bike and never went back to R&M. He was the only person I can think of with solid experience w/ both brands. It helped that Evelo is a WA-based company, his home state.

I think it comes down to your needs at present. Def try to locate test rides, there's no substitute. Evelo is D2C but does, or at least used to have a 30-day trial period.

Depending on where you live, if you need recommendations of local shops that can support either purchase, lmk.

As I’ve noted before about folks here: beyond the call helpful. Thanks for that comprehensive reply.

I’d read a lot of Alaskan’s posts before joining in… and you’re right, they were such good first hand insights. But it’s awful to hear he’s passed! I didn’t see that in my searches and even never having known him beyond those posts, that’s a tragedy. His 200 mile review nearly convinced me to choose an Omega, but for now at least I didn’t need the extra boosts.

And, this is just me, but I found the Omega’s look and shape inexplicably hideous and I seem to have that reaction to most of Evelo’s lineup… though I can’t say quite why; which for an artist is annoying! Maybe a surface point to impact decisions, but I can’t stare at something everyday that makes me cringe, and in the end the throttle and class 3 speed didn’t matter as much to me anyway.

So yep, DC is our local metro. I’m just north. I see you’re DMV too? The uncertainty around City Bikes is unfortunate. Hopefully they have time to grieve and survive as a concern if that’s what the owners want to do. Sad for all the staff, though.

It’s funny that Terrapin will be R&M’s new shop here. I was just there for a repair, and they’ve assembled a Priority for me before. Wilmington and Propel: yeah, they were awesome answering my questions and I’m glad it’s closer than NYC but it’s still a hike. Being in a big urban area spoiled us not having to schlep hours for most bike dealers. May have to suck it up and drive to Delaware to see the Charger vs Nevo feel.

For now I’ve got my Continuum Onyx that’s been *lightly* electrified, and gets the job done within 8 miles or so.

Be safe; don’t let the trolley tracks mess ya up. And thanks again.

Last edited:
Yes, because Richard was too weak to pedal.

R&M are classy e-bikes and Evelo cannot be even compared to them.
Yes, but he told me he did not miss the R&Ms at all. We kept in touch after he generously hosted me in Bellingham on my ride-through. And that's what I meant by your needs at present. This can evolve/change.

As I’ve noted before about folks here: beyond the call helpful. Thanks for that comprehensive reply.

I’d read a lot of Alaskan’s posts before joining in… and you’re right, they were such good first hand insights. But it’s awful to hear he’s passed! I didn’t see that in my searches and even never having known him beyond those posts, that’s a tragedy. His 200 mile review nearly convinced me to choose an Omega, but for now at least I didn’t need the extra boosts.

And, this is just me, but I found the Omega’s look and shape inexplicably hideous and I seem to have that reaction to most of Evelo’s lineup… though I can’t say quite why; which for an artist is annoying! Maybe a surface point to impact decisions, but I can’t stare at something everyday that makes me cringe, and in the end the throttle and class 3 speed didn’t matter as much to me anyway.

So yep, DC is our local metro. I’m just north. I see your DMV too? The uncertainty around City Bikes is unfortunate. Hopefully they have time to grieve and survive as a concern if that’s what the owners want to do. Sad for all the staff, though.

It’s funny that Terrapin will be R&M’s new shop here. I was just there for a repair, and they’ve assembled a Priority for me before. Wilmington and Propel: yeah, they were awesome answering my questions and I’m glad it’s closer than NYC but it’s still a hike. Being in a big urban area spoiled us not having to schlep hours for most bike dealers. May have to suck it up and drive to Delaware to see get the Charger vs Nevo feel.

For now I’ve got my Continuum Onyx that’s been *lightly* electrified, and gets the job done within 8 miles or so.

Be safe; don’t let the trolley tracks mess ya up. And thanks again.
It's the Purple Line tracks messing me up, ha.

Re: City Bikes: the sister is not interested in bike shop ownership and is looking for a buyer. Electricity's (former) GM is now in MI and most of the staff has dispersed.

The R&M rep said there'll be a second shop in our area, but the name slips my mind if he even mentioned it.

I've owned a Charger, Nevo and now a Load60. And yeah, on the basis of aesthetics, R&M is the clear winner.

It's the Purple Line tracks messing me up, ha.

Re: City Bikes: the sister is not interested in bike shop ownership and is looking for a buyer. Electricity's (former) GM is now in MI and most of the staff has dispersed.

The R&M rep said there'll be a second shop in our area, but the name slips my mind if he even mentioned it.

I've owned a Charger, Nevo and now a Load60. And yeah, on the basis of aesthetics, R&M is the clear winner.
God, the purple line. I can’t wait, will get a bunch of use from me, as I live 5 minutes walk from a station, but the trials of construction are a bear. Can’t even really bike parts of silver spring right now. Bethesda either from what I’ve seen.

I wonder if it’s the daily rider on h street who’ll get R&M stock? They already sell gazelle and other euro brands, I believe. But a second vendor would be useful in either case.

Yes, because Richard was too weak to pedal.

R&M are classy e-bikes and Evelo cannot be even compared to them.
Certainly that’s the impression I get from looking at both brands. And obviously if I had mobility issues I may have been set on a huge torque and huge power motor.

God, the purple line. I can’t wait, will get a bunch of use from me, as I live 5 minutes walk from a station, but the trials of construction are a bear. Can’t even really bike parts of silver spring right now. Bethesda either from what I’ve seen.

I wonder if it’s the daily rider on h street who’ll get R&M stock? They already sell gazelle and other euro brands, I believe. But a second vendor would be useful in either case.
It's not Daily Rider. I'll get the name. I think the status was still "prospective" as of late July.

I'm a Purple Line supporter but I can't believe how it's paralyzed the area.

Back