Sora derailleur

bones774

Hi all, have a Yamaha cross core with a Shimano sora rear derailleur. I noticed from looking above that it is not perfectly perpendicular to the horizontal, it has what could be called a little "toe in", the bottom of derailleur points inward a bit. Is this correct? My chain has been making a little bit of a rattle noise.
Thanks

Doesn't look too much, I figured as much but thought to ask here before getting in trouble. Thanks
I've straightened a couple derailleur hangers using a large adjustable wrench to disperse the force and gently straightened. Like any aluminum part it would be susceptible to breaking if manipulated too much/too many times. I'd buy a new hanger before wasting my time with a bike shop. I'm always a bit surprised by the lack of confidence and mechanical ability many of the people who post on this site express. Bikes are simple machines and virtually every mechanical part can be relatively easily be repaired or replaced (by an average 12 year old).

I've straightened a couple derailleur hangers using a large adjustable wrench to disperse the force and gently straightened. Like any aluminum part it would be susceptible to breaking if manipulated too much/too many times. I'd buy a new hanger before wasting my time with a bike shop. I'm always a bit surprised by the lack of confidence and mechanical ability many of the people who post on this site express. Bikes are simple machines and virtually every mechanical part can be relatively easily be repaired or replaced (by an average 12 year old).
I agree with your main point about the hanger, sort of. I just think bikes are actually pretty complex machines. Lots of parts, many of which have parts, especially the drive chain. But that’s not the real problem for me and I suspect many others. Not all of us have the special tools required for many jobs and the tools can cost as much as a shop might charge or more importantly may only be needed once. Add in the costs of having and setting up a place to store said tools, supplies and for performing the work and it can be better to have the LBS do it.

I would flip the bike upside down, you will get a better view and better access. Maybe put blocks under the grips. First try the barrel adjuster to align the jockey wheel closest to the cogs. Adjust for a middle gear, then try the others. If it is still off, then remove the derailleur and check the alignment of the hanger using a large crescent wrench. See that it is aligned on the vertical and horizontal. Yes, like a coat hanger you can only move it back and forth a few times before it snaps.

Did you have to add "by a 12 year old".

12 year old's can cook, play musical instruments, and work on their bikes. But at what level?

1695672618984.jpeg
1695672668238.jpeg
1695672773720.jpeg

Only because it's true. SMH when people post complaints about bike shop service when any reasonably able person, including a 12yo, could have done the service themselves and in less time. The few specialized tools required for bike maintenance and repair are inexpensive and widely available. Including a bike stand I doubt that I have over $100 in bike specific tools. Do the job once yourself and the tools are free. There are good, detailed youtube videos on virtually anything.
I'm a retired very specialized professional, not a mechanic but I recently removed the turbocharger from my truck, cleaned and replaced it along with some other wear related components and found and fixed problems (broken electrical connectors, ruined up pipe to turbo clamp etc) that a mechanic created several years ago when he did the job. Follow a couple competent youtubers and no problems, saved several hundred dollars, did the job right with satisfaction from having done it. Bicycles are infinitely more simple. I'm not talking about electronic ebike components but check a few threads and find many reports that bike shops can't or won't diagnose or fix those issues either other than simply replacing components.

Last edited:
12 year old's can cook, play musical instruments, and work on their bikes. But at what level?

View attachment 163325View attachment 163326View attachment 163327
comparing bike maintenance and repair with highly skilled musicians, chefs or whatever isn't valid and you don't have to be a master chef to make an excellent meal

I just think bikes are actually pretty complex machines.
Well, it only looks complex if you are unfamiliar with it. Dig in and you'll find its all pretty simple. That doesn't mean people who are not inclined to learn this are in some way bad, but for those of us who have spent the time to Just Do It, its not in any way difficult.

So no judgment... but when I see someone saying how tough it is to remove a wheel with a hub motor so they can put in a brand new inner tube after getting a thorn ...

b0d4b8037c63eaea49affb37f08c50b3.gif

comparing bike maintenance and repair with highly skilled...
I was just drawing contrast about levels. And, I agree it is a matter of just doing it and comfort. I have a friend I am house sitting for right now, who just does not have the interest, aptitude, or band width to work on his bikes. For him it would be like me learning Greek. He would ask, Why, and would just rather farm it out then buy tools and learn. For him changing a light switch would be overwhelming and it would catch fire. He cannot swap a tube and has no interest.

Keep in mind that the OP posted about a slightly misaligned derailleur hanger, the first response was to take it to a bike shop. No special tools or ability required, a Sora isn't a 105 or higher precision derailleur that might possibly benefit from a $100ish derailleur hanger alignment tool.
jump to 4:58 for the way I've done it a couple times without any problems.
or just buy a new hanger for maybe <$10 - $20?
out of curiosity how much would a bike shop charge to align a bent hanger, plus your time and gas money if you drive to bring it to a shop

Hi, OP here. Thanks for all the responses, good info all around.
And as I said originally I've been wrenching motors for a long time so that should indicate I have plenty of tools and mechanical know how. Been working on my own bikes for years too, just wanted to get some info before snapping it off. In my time things were made a lot more durable but maybe not as fine.
Thanks

Hangers are built to snap, sort of like a fuse. It is a built in weak point to prevent the derailleur from going into the spokes on a strike to save the wheel and derailleur.

Back