Sondors Fact Finding. Due Diligence. Scrutiny.

There has been another update, apparently, the dies for the plastic battery cover box have been made. One of the pictures showed Stomdars matching the colour... ... If the bike was forged by Stormdars and Hopp as they have claimed, would they not have the colour noted? and if it is an Alibaba bike as the rest of us think, wouldn't the original builder have the specs on file, along with the dies for the battery box? .... that is unless the bike is not being produced by the original manufacturer, but rather by an underbidder... (again probably the case).. which means we end up with a cheaper knockoff of a cheap Chinese bike... lucky Stormdars is over there repeating the word "Quality" every five minutes... Reminds me a bit of Bart Simpson "Krusty is coming, Krusty is coming".

Its just an older chemistry, Lithium Ion Manganese that supposedly is less vulnerable to burning up thus does not have as much of a need for a more expensive BMS than the higher performing INR chemistry of the Samsung cells does. Digging around on the web it seems that the Vaping folks are waaay into lithium battery technology!

Maybe a shorter cycle life, so they diddle with the chemistry, but then it's more dangerous. :( Yeah, I noticed that about the Vapes. Used to be guys with Cree flashlights looking for the best lith battery. ("This flashlight can light up the shaded part of the moon")

Thanks George, Thanks for lightening things up and staying above the "fray"... But the battery technology is very fascinating... From what I have gleaned... these 18650 cells come in many forms, and are color coded? Is that an industry standard? Will the battery chemistry, quality and brand be a known thing? The update pics only say so much.. The testing equipment shown doesn't seem like it would be used on all cells being used... do they just randomly test a few?? I believe the battery is going to be the weakest link in the performance of this bike... unless the motor burns out first... Still, this is pretty cool....

Thanks George, Thanks for lightening things up and staying above the "fray"... But the battery technology is very fascinating... From what I have gleaned... these 18650 cells come in many forms, and are color coded? Is that an industry standard? Will the battery chemistry, quality and brand be a known thing? The update pics only say so much.. The testing equipment shown doesn't seem like it would be used on all cells being used... do they just randomly test a few?? I believe the battery is going to be the weakest link in the performance of this bike... unless the motor burns out first... Still, this is pretty cool....

You definitely have to cut some corner(s) to make a pack under $500. I had a discussion with a kit manufacturer about their pack, which is $700, and how they went with the specific chemistry. You buy reliability and safety, but how much and is it really worth it? Storm was selling his bike for $500, recall, plus shipping.

The green cell is here:

storm closeup.jpg

This is an extreme closeup, and reads better scaled down a bit.

Storm is here, with two Samsung cells, high quality cells.

Storm Purple Cells.jpg

But Storm is standing next to large bins of the green cells. The green cells say 2200 mAh and they match the published specs. I've seen that green wrap for years. There is a lot of info on various types of cells, on the Web. It is possible to make an informed decision about cheaper cells, and you have to balance things like safety, cycles, discharge rates, weight, size, charge complexity. I actually thought they would use LiPo, or lithium polymer, which is low cost and pretty high risk. The other 'value' chemistry is LiFePo4, which is pretty much a Chinese part. Safe and good cycle life, but bigger and more weight.

There are a third of a million cells. Someone would do some degree of quality testing during production. How much can Storm really do? This is farce, really.

Storm isn't really telling us anything, except he likes holding the pretty purple cells. And he can hold the cells by the terminals without catching fire.

and so we come back to the question.. is Stormdars a clueless fool, being manipulated by puppetmasters (who may or may not Hopp around whilst pulling the strings), or is he part of the deception?

Thanks for the insight, bottom line is it is a farce. Show the pretty purple battery and assemble the product with the cheapest green battery sums it all up while creating maximum marketing "spin."
@FTC Complaint most EBike companies brag that their using the latest, greatest, safest of batteries like the Samsung cell pictured above. Partly because it is better and to justify the price to the customer; however, we don't see Sonders doing that. My earlier comments on the battery chemistry we suspect he might be using was to indirectly question the safety of the pack--what, if any battery management system (BMS being the common lingo in the sales sheets) is present. For an educated ebike buyer, they realize that there will be compromises made to hit the $599 price point and will purchase a bike with that in mind but the majority of buyers don't know and shouldn't have to worry about whether their ebike is safe.

Ann I always enjoy reading your posts - it is worth pointing out that the bike sold thousands at $499, the demand tailed off relatively at the $599 price point - pledgers have been mislead to believe they are buying a bike which is worth, and will retail, at $1299 but they are buying at a vastly discounted rate by pledging early - I don't believe Sondors has the backing or commercial presence to subsidise every single bike sale to the tune of $200 and to me believing that a tested, developed and quality product for $470 (allowing for IGG and Agency 2.0 to take their cut) is possible without massive teething problems at the very least in the short term, and quality problems in the short-mid term. The text supporting the updates is so transparent it is worrying.

@wa5 I would answer we are about to find out but who knows when? These updates are only designed to fuel more pledges, $3.8m after 30 days and maybe $200,000 in the 30 day extension - same with the claim of demo days, a single bike was wheeled out once in a heavily congested pedestrian area, there never was going to be a series of demo days at all, just cannot understand why people cannot see the things I am seeing.

Last edited:
Existing funders or "pledgers" have made their commitment, so telling them they've made a stupid decision to take a risk and fund this particular campaign isn't going to do anything. Yet the persistence to scream it as loudly as possible on a forum 99.9% of them don't read remains, even though it doesn't change one thing.

Every single product on IGG or Kickstarter is a risk to the people who contribute, yet this particular campaign seems to have gotten so far under the skin of some that I actually wonder if there's a level of paranoia and mental illness involved. That might apply to both sides, btw. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and over yet expecting different results.

How does repeating the same complaints ad nauseum change one thing? It doesn't. It hasn't. And it won't. The people who invested their monies are the ones who were willing to do so. They are the ones who will decide in the end whether it was money well spent or not.

The audacity of one guy and a couple others to get such traction that 8,000 people decided to jump on board and ride this train is what I think really stings. How dare this one guy do such a thing as make upwards of just under $4M on a promise and maybe a weak promise -- that being a cheap Chinese bike with a motor & a battery that claims great things? How dare he and a couple others get publicity? How dare he and a couple others create some semi-slick marketing/PR to gain attention? It's never been done before! Oh wait...it has... all the time and every day. Every day someone somewhere is selling something and making a promise or claim. If only the U.S. government had protections in place for consumers... oh wait, they do!

You are mistaken Powerme, but I understand where you are coming from - I despise the deception, the misleading and false claims that is all and I come on this forum to share observations and to learn. I started boring myself so I stepped away for a while. So your chance to educate me, if you pledge money on a non-refundable basis to a campaign and then the performance falls well short of what is claimed and the quality is poor, what recourse do you have? I pledged $499 for a bike which I was told was a $1299 model and expected quality commensurate with a $1299 bike but didn't get it?

This episode has taken me in different directions and to consider different things, I just bought 5 BMW Cruiser ebikes at a 40% discount, so there was light at the end of the tunnel after all - if Sondors pulls this off with any degree of success I will be the first to applaud btw.

If only the U.S. government had protections in place for consumers... oh wait, they do!

I would agree that much of the posting is "circular" {or is delusional worse} and will have little impact. However, This "thread" has the potential to puts fact on record and therein resides the value. I am sure that Storm, Indiegogo, and Agency 2.0 all view the finding of fact to be very annoying because the chosen strategy in response has been stonewalling instead of remedy.

Yes the US government can step in, on a "de-facto" or after the fact basis, for example today the CPSC is talking to Lumber Liquidators on the issue as to whether or not Chinese flooring containing high levels of formaldehyde was sold to and then installed by consumers to their detriment. At present, The CPSC ruling looks to be "good news" for Lumber Liquidators because theyw were diligent in testing their product! Please take note of the word(s) testing (regulations and standards) and apply it to bicycles and batteries to draw analogy. Even with today;s CPSC ruling Consumer class, securities class, and private legal actions will likely be filed against Lumber Liquidators.

Litigation won't happen here because there is no way (or it will be very difficult) to collect damages. In Storms case, the overly complex crowd-funding business-structure clouds and will ultimately constrain those seeking remedy through litigation.

If someone gets killed or injured there may not be anyone to sue with pockets deep enough to make that costly endeavor worthwhile. Indiegogo can point to Agency 2.0 and they can all point to Storm, thus creating smoke-screen like confusion and thus adding cost to any litigation.

This complex business structure is sophisticated and intentional, the FTC might be interested in addressing those set of concerns because they are interested in other cutting edge technological issues including bitcoin where law has lagged "innovation."

Another mistake, by the parties involved, resides in the fact that this product is a known commodity. That is also the value of this thread an forum. Ebikes are known while the Kreyos watch was totally unknown.

The only provable "illegality here" resides with the blatantly false representations that were made. It would be the responsibility of any interested party to file a concern with the FTC as they are the agency tasked with the oversight of advertising related concerns.

What some of the recent posting has told us, and proven, is that even the "better Samsung IRC 18650 26F cells" that will not be used in this case because they are expensive have a stated "Rapid charge rate of 2.5 hours." (i.e. not 90 minutes). With this forum then, another false advertising claim has been exposed and proven false. I would think that would be the main-point of this thread.

In terms of taking personal responsibility, and to reiterate, If you care to file a concern about false or misleading advertising find this FTC complaint template as it can be used by you as a starting point;

The "Storm-Sondors crowdfunding" campaign has been centered around the sale of an electronic bicycle being sold to consumers for $499 (now $599) This campaign has raised near $3,950,000 in several weeks based on false representations made to the public and members of the press.

The product being sold is a known product with clearly documented parameters. Materially false and misleading statements were made as part of this campaign to include range, weight, specification, legality of operation (federal v state ) and expected performance.

Illustratively, the most brazenly-false representation made pertains to a claimed range of 50 miles versus a reality of approximately 15 miles or less. This claim has been widely published through advertisements appearing on the internet. This claim, among others that have been made, is and are irrefutably false.

The parties involved in this offering, individually separately together or in part, including Storm aka Sondors ebike, Indiegogo, and/or Agency 2.0 have continually refused to remedy the gross inaccuracies of this offering.

I hereby ask the Federal Trade Commission act in the public interest by remedying this situation through litigation.

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/GettingStarted?NextQID=251&Url=#&panel1-8#crnt

If you like, copy this post and send it to the FTC.. (or write your own based on facts) In the text name three parties.

Sondors ebike c/o Indiegogo 965 Mission Street, 6th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103.
Indiegogo 965 Mission Street, 6th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103.
Agency 2.0 co Indiegogo 965 Mission Street, 6th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103.

Last edited:
How dare he and a couple others create some semi-slick marketing/PR to gain attention? It's never been done before! Oh wait...it has... all the time and every day.
Frequency of destructive behavior or the lack of effective means to deal with it should not therefore justify it. It may inspire others to follow suit which would be unfortunate because it erodes the bonds we share and dilutes trust. The disruptive repetition of statements of concern or loss by those who question the ethical merit of this campaign or similar heated topics may be a byproduct of ongoing misrepresentation or a plea for help in figuring out a constructive way to deal with it. I do think that open communication makes a difference, it is one of the highest values in American culture and my aim here is to guide people towards data driven arguments that do not rely on personal attacks or quantity to achieve results.

Frequency of destructive behavior or the lack of effective means to deal with it should not therefore justify it. It may inspire others to follow suit which would be unfortunate because it erodes the bonds we share and dilutes trust. The disruptive repetition of statements of concern or loss by those who question the ethical merit of this campaign or similar heated topics may be a byproduct of ongoing misrepresentation or a plea for help in figuring out a constructive way to deal with it. I do think that open communication makes a difference, it is one of the highest values in American culture and my aim here is to guide people towards data driven arguments that do not rely on personal attacks or quantity to achieve results.
Hey Court.

I am not sure if you know already but "storm" Sonders is really Ivars Sonders. I am a toy inventor. I worked with him in Chicago 20 years ago and worked for him about 10 years ago. Although I only worked for him less than a year after realizing he is a scam artist. http://www.toyjobs.com/toy_blog/2011/12/07/toyjobs-prevails-in-personal-fraud-suit-vs-ivars-sondors/

Please investigate Ivars Sonders. Storm.... too funny

Hey Court.

I am not sure if you know already but "storm" Sonders is really Ivars Sonders. I am a toy inventor. I worked with him in Chicago 20 years ago and worked for him about 10 years ago. Although I only worked for him less than a year after realizing he is a scam artist. http://www.toyjobs.com/toy_blog/2011/12/07/toyjobs-prevails-in-personal-fraud-suit-vs-ivars-sondors/

Please investigate Ivars Sonders. Storm.... too funny

Very interesting, thanks for sharing your perspective on this @sugarp I have reached out to you privately. I found the following information on the website link you shared:
The Superior Court of New Jersey has awarded Toyjobs a default judgment in the amount of $39,456.00 in its personal fraud suit against former A-HA Toys president Ivars Sondors.

Toyjobs president Tom Keoughan said: “I certainly expect that Mr. Sondors will try to make it difficult to collect but we have chased him for over three years across two continents. He should realize by now that we’re not going away. The beautiful thing about a judgment obtained on a Complaint for fraud is that it can’t be cleared through bankruptcy. It sticks around and so shall we.”

Here is another story on the topic with more information http://www.toydirectory.com/monthly/article.asp?id=3420
Toyjobs Sues A-Ha Toys. October 3, 2008 — Recruitment company Toyjobs has filed suit against A-Ha Toys and its president, Ivars Sondors, for breach of contract involving A-Ha's behind-the-back hire of a candidate that was recruited by Toyjobs but originally rejected by A-Ha in their search for an employee. Tom Keoughan, president of Toyjobs, said in a statement that his company has never lost this kind of lawsuit.

Last edited:
I hope you are wrong, but for me this has grown far too big to handle - why would SS put his face to the Campaign? I want to be positive and think it will just be crap with technical and logistical issues... Scam would be elaborate and on a massive scale.... The court ruling against him for hiring employees behind an agency's back is no big deal imo

I was thinking similar thoughts but maybe the person who worked with him has more ammunition to call him a scam artist.

Back