Some real comfortable bar grips? My ergon grips are a pain in the ...... wrist !

I use the Jones H-Bars with the 2.5" rise and the 45 degree backsweep, coupled with the Ergon GC1 grips. Zero discomfort on my wrists.

I use the Jones H-Bars with the 2.5" rise and the 45 degree backsweep, coupled with the Ergon GC1 grips. Zero discomfort on my wrists.

I looked at the jones bars and like the concept. Problem with the bars is I need to slide my stem into position which I cannot do on the H bars because of the crossbar, without changing my stem, and at this point do not want to. My current stem does not come apart. The new bars I purchased are 620mm compared to the 740mm I am using now, my steering is already very lively running a 0mm stem, so this will be interesting going to a 620mm. Testing to see if the following bars with the swept back position and new angle of the hands relieves the pain.
Funny thing, just moving my hands from the straight position, as they would be in if I were riding, to the curved angle position on the yet to be received bars, feels way better on my wrists.

8B06BD63-9F4E-4920-8F85-F31DD528BE12.jpeg

I looked at the jones bars and like the concept. Problem with the bars is I need to slide my stem into position which I cannot do on the H bars because of the crossbar, without changing my stem, and at this point do not want to. My current stem does not come apart. The new bars I purchased are 620mm compared to the 740mm I am using now, my steering is already very lively running a 0mm stem, so this will be interesting going to a 620mm. Testing to see if the following bars with the swept back position and new angle of the hands relieves the pain.
Funny thing, just moving my hands from the straight position, as they would be in if I were riding, to the curved angle position on the yet to be received bars, feels way better on my wrists.

View attachment 49837

I also added a stem riser and short 35mm stem to my jones bars...the combo is perfect comfort.

Friends,

Are the Ergon GP5 grips any good? Are these equipped with the bar end plugs so I could remove them and install the rear-view mirror?

I have a pair of GP5 Ergon grips and they provide a variety of hand positions and come with the bar end plugs.

Attachments

• Ergon 5.jpg
    Ergon 5.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 343
I've mounted Ergon GP 5 on my touring bike. What a product! On a 50-mile ride, I was almost exclusively holding the horns, which helped steer the bike better, relieved my arms, and additionally dampened any rough terrain vibrations. I only had to change my grip to brake or to operate the gear shifters. The hold of the regular part of the Ergons was also very pleasant. It was the first time I returned from a long ride with my arms not tired and no problem with the wrists, either.

Additionally, I was wearing the CHIBA Bioxcell Super Fly finger-less gloves. I can remember a discussion with @Browneye who believed only full gloves were ensuring the safety in a case of fall. I completely agree with Chris that full gloves are necessary on trail-riding. However, touring seems to be rarely endangered with a fall; and the CHIBA gloves only leave the last phalanxes of fingers uncovered, which allows me to use the smartphone on the ride. A great buy for me.

1587698809922.png

Last edited:
I like the grips. Do they put you more upright? Or just change the hand position?

I got full finger gloves for my eMTB. My recent crash resulted in hamburger-knuckles when they hit the gravel. The likelihood of me crashing on pavement is extremely low - that hasn't happened since my age was single-digits. ;)

When I ordered them I assumed they were leather - they are not, and there is no padding. Jury is out as to whether they are any good or not - I prefer some palm padding, and the microfiber palms on these kind of move around between the hand and grip, making them FEEL slippery, which tends to cause an overly tight grip. We'll see. They were cheap enough: >$20

Dakine Covert full finger gloves. Kind of looks like split leather palms, no??

gdcov4-1.jpg

Or just change the hand position?
This.
;)

It is very comfortable to lean on the horns for long miles.

The arms go farther apart but my arms are long enough. I rode in a sandy road on the last ride (I regretted that -- the bike has been prepared for better roads). Normally, I would be sliding zig-zag until I fell; holding the "horns" hard helped me reclaim from the tricky situation -- the steering is more effective that way. Yet the GP 5 are touring grips. Ergon make a variety of grips for different riding styles, also for MTBs. As I recollect, the GP 2 (two-finger horns) are suited for MTB.

So experiment number one on wrist solutions was a complete fail.
First off, the bolt stripped, using very little torque, couldn't even get the grip to stop rotating on the bar, little more torque, and the threads were done. Next, this set of curved bars makes no accommodation for rigid grips, only soft grips would work, broke the internal plastic trying to install them, so those were a bust as well. Waiting on other items to arrive.
FF7FD12F-ECB1-472E-BCAF-49F1C46C2C6C.jpeg
1C7DBBFF-E2FD-4739-B64B-C79BE1097E8B.jpeg

Talking bar end grips is such a personal and subjective thing where not one single person is right or wrong, if the component they are touting works for them.

The same applies for saddles, shoes, helmets, tires, bike drive motors, mid drive, hub drive, bike brand, chevy vs ford........

OP: if you are wearing 2 liners within a glove, your problem might be a fitment or adjustment issue and not the bar end grip.

So, here's my shameless plug for the setup I have found very comfy: Ergon GA2 Fat Lock On Grips with Cane Creek's Ergo Bar Ends (https://www.canecreek.com/product/ergo-control-bar-ends/) The Ergon's rubber is a bit thicker then the standard GA2's for better shock absorption but it's the Ergo Bar Ends that allow my hands multiple positions in which to grip the handlebar. Both are made of Kraton Rubber, the best for all-day comfort.

Topping it all off are the handlebar, the Spank Spoon with a 60mm rise. As good as the Cane Creek and Ergon grips are, it was that 60mm riser handlebar that brought it all together in the best comfortable ride I could ever hope for. The rise puts me up straighter in the saddle, vs slumped forward with the stock Haibike handlebar.

No specific handlebar grip photos, but if you magnify the below pics, you can see the possibilities of moving your hand position multiple ways with that simple yet comfortable bar end grip.

I have Ergon's bar ends similar to yours depicted in post #54. The bar ends were hard nylon-like plastic and were just awful, running all day on my Trek Soho DLX.

Switching grips, bar ends and handlebars is a relatively cheap bike upgrade that can yield the most important part of bike ownership: how you feel pedaling the bike!

Attachments

• 100_3836.JPG
    100_3836.JPG
    870.1 KB · Views: 416
  • 100_3848.JPG
    100_3848.JPG
    882.2 KB · Views: 425
So experiment number one on wrist solutions was a complete fail.
First off, the bolt stripped, using very little torque, couldn't even get the grip to stop rotating on the bar, little more torque, and the threads were done.
Next, this set of curved bars makes no accommodation for rigid grips, only soft grips would work, broke the internal plastic trying to install them, so those were a bust as well. Waiting on other items to arrive.
View attachment 53334
View attachment 53335

Sorry to hear that your first experiment with the curved bars did not go well. I would recommend testing out the Jones Bars with a new faceplate type stem.

Many riders have found this 45-degree bar type provides a lot of comfortable positions and has eliminated serious ergonomic issues on long rides... YMMV. ;)

So after a long testing period, and a multitude of grips I found the perfect, most comfortable grips, the
ergon GA3. The miniwing relieves all the pressure on the wrist. Had to dial the grip in after a few rides to find the best position. Based on the terrain I ride, plenty of technical single track, with steep descents and assents,
leaving you sometimes hanging on for dear life, the miniwing provides lots of support keeping your wrist in the optimal position. Haven't bothered my wrists since. Really, really like these grips.

Another of the joys of upright riding positions with flat foot frames. No hand pressure.

Sometimes it is as simple a rotating the handle bars up a few degrees and rotating the brake levers downward about 20 degrees from the flat position. The showroom position is done for looks not ergonomics.

Back