New Vado Puts The Wind Back In My Sails…

PapaBill

Region
USA
Hello from Northern California. Recently purchased a Vado 3.0 (my first e-bike) hoping to add length to my rides. Just entering my 7th decade and my legs are not what they once were. I’ve been riding on and off for many years. I currently also ride a Klein Stage Comp T road bike and a Gary Fisher Big Sur mountain bike.

The challenge I’m having with the new Vado is its more upright riding position. Not very comfortable after the first 10 miles. I prefer to move around in the saddle and change positions on the handlebar. After many lateral saddle adjustments I still have some sit bone discomfort. Some of my first mods will be new grips and bar ends (inner and/or outer). Possibly a new saddle but that’s a slippery slope. Any suggestions to help me in my quest for a more comfortable ride will be greatly appreciated. I ride 90% pavement. Hope to ride more gravel. Not much single track anymore. My goal is to have 50 mile rides become the norm not the exception.

Great forum. I’ve learned quite a bit in a short period of time. Excited to join the community.

The challenge I’m having with the new Vado is its more upright riding position. Not very comfortable after the first 10 miles. I prefer to move around in the saddle and change positions on the handlebar. After many lateral saddle adjustments I still have some sit bone discomfort. Some of my first mods will be new grips and bar ends (inner and/or outer).
The Innerbarends are highly recommended.

My feeling is your Vado is in too small size for you. If you cannot return and replace the e-bike, my recommendation would be installing a long stem on your Vado, and possibly "slam it" into the negative angle. You will also need to relocate the display to either side of the stem.

My Vado is a different model from yours but my mods could pertain to you.

My feeling is your Vado is in too small size for you. If you cannot return and replace the e-bike, my recommendation would be installing a long stem on your Vado, and possibly "slam it" into the negative angle. You will also need to relocate the display to either side of the stem.

Thanks for the info Stefan. I did see your thread from last year and found it very helpful. I’m 5’10”. My Vado is a large. Definitely not to small. My Klein is 58 cm’s and I’ve ridden it since 1998 with no issues. I’ll start with the inner bar ends and maybe the Ergon grips. The GP 5 is similar to the climbing bars I have on my Gary Fisher but may be to long for what I’m trying to accomplish. I need to do some measurements and order the correct sizes. I’m hoping to stay with the OEM saddle for now if possible. Thanks again for your suggestions and your earlier thread. Lots of good information.

Just installed SQlab 411 innerbarends and Ergon GP4 grips to my Vado 3.0. Gives me a perfect blend of my road and mountain bike. Thank you Stefan Mikes for the suggestions. Those simple mods now allow me to change hand positions and become more aerodynamic as the riding circumstances dictate. The increased comfort should translates to longer rides. Glad to no longer be so upright.

Back