Some questions for owners of R&M Supercharger (or Charger, Nevo, etc.).

GeeJay

As mentioned on the ‘Introductions & Bike Garage’ section of this forum, my R&M Supercharger GH Vario in electric blue with Kiox display is scheduled for week 48 production, and I hope to pick it up some time before Christmas this year.

A few questions for existing Supercharger (or similar) owners;
  1. Did your bike come with any tools (e.g spanner’s or hex Allen keys)?
  2. Did you swap out the standard saddle, and if so, what did you swap it for (and why)?
  3. Did you swap over the standard pedals (e.g for Crankbrothers or similar), and if so, what benefits did you note?
  4. Any other modifications you considered or made (e.g ergon grips, etc.)?
Many thanks folks - always interesting to hear other people’s experiences and take on this!

ATB. George.

George ...
Some of the additions/swaps that will be made to my R&M Homage when it arrives...
  • Mirror : Mirrycle mirror which has many enthusiastic supporters (self included) on this forum. The Busch & Müller 701 mirror is highly regarded but, I think, is only available for mounting on the left of the handlebar.
  • Pedals : I'll try the supplied pedals but will probably swap them for either Shimano GR500 (inexpensive) or Pedaling Innovations Catalysts (decidedly expensive). I have both at the moment so will be able to trial without further outlay. Shimano Saint pedals (almost always available at a discount) have a strong following (for example, Dmitri). The Catalysts are new to me so I am not yet able to make a firm recommendation; again, check out other EBR Forum users (for example, Alaskan). All three of these pedals have metal screws which will grip (and perhaps rip) your shoes. It's almost a rite of passage to gouge your shins on MTB flats - but only once. I've found the eighteen screws per side of the Catalysts a little too grippy for my liking and have halved the number.
  • Saddle & Seatpost : I doubt that I'll find a problem with the supplied saddle but I expect to swap the seatpost for a dropper post in order to make mounting/dismounting easier (saddle drops by 75 mm). Again, I have a dropper post and a Cane Creek Thudbuster ST (as fitted to the Supercharger) to try out.
  • Accessory Mounts : I have a collection (too embarrassed to include a photo!) of KLICKfix & Rixen+Kaul mounts for bottles, tool kegs, pumps, handlebar bag, lights, etcetera. Scraps of rubber and electrical tape will be needed to keep paintwork pristine.
... David

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you will love this bike! I have put over 700 miles on mine in eight weeks. It is an amazing piece of engineering that begs to be taken on adventures.

In answer to your questions:

1. No, it came with no tools at all. You'll want to buy them. A set of standard metric hex keys (3-6 mm) and a pair of locking pliers are a start, depending on how much wrenching you want to do.

The adjustments I've made most often are:

-Angle of the Ergon grips (well worth having, by the way -- mine came with them). Requires hex key.

-Height, up-down angle and fore-aft position of the saddle. Ditto.

-Belt tension (the Gates app is inconsistent; the proper tension gauge is expensive (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UP6AH4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

-Possibly play in the shifter (don't know if yours is like the Rohloff).

2. Yes, I swapped out the saddle it came with for a Brooks B67. Be sure to measure the width of your "sit bones" (ischial tuberosities) before ordering a replacement, otherwise there's no way it will be comfy. A kit for doing so is available free from https://sqlab-usa.com/pages/free-sqlab-ft-kit

3. I find the supplied pedals perfectly adequate. Others feel it's imperative to put on their own choice of pedals.

4. I added a bell (for polite warnings); the loudest horn I could find, to ward off assholes (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A7Y5EEK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1); the brightest white strobing daytime conspicuity light I could find, facing forward; the brightest rear-facing flashing red daytime conspicuity light I could find; flashing lights on the wheels, for greater conspicuity from the side at night (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SGXEOBO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1); and a phone mount for when I'm using Google maps.

And, of course, a bright orange helmet and a high-viz, reflective safety vest.

But then, I'm a bit of a safety nerd, as you have perhaps inferred.

Let us know how you like your bike!

1. No.
  2. No, the Brooks saddle is/was fine.
  3. I replaced the pedals with Kona Wah Wah II pedals. I like the larger pedal area.
  4. I am considering replacing the grips, installing a larger front brake rotor, and possibly replacing the rear rack.
This is on a 2017 R&M Charger GX Rohloff.

I have an early 2018 Supercharger GX Rohloff.
Swapped pedals for these: https://www.raceface.com/products/details/aeffect-pedals - Excellent, heaps of grip even with all washers in.
Swapped seat for this: https://www.sellesmp.com/en/saddles/tourism/trk-large-gel.html - Big and heavy but heaps of padding as i want padding in the seat not my clothing, don't care if it last's 10 years less than a Brooks. It is a bit squeaky though.
+1 for Ergon Grip adjustments, mine has GP3's and until you get the fit right you get sore hands/wrists BUT once you get the position exactly right they are excellent!
Got a Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB 584-57 on the front (great) & Super MotoX 584-62 on rear (bit slippery on loose/wet), will be swapping rear for Marathon Plus MTB when worn. I have Alex MD40 rims.
I think i would have preferred a Cane Creek LT (Long travel) vs ST or at least a softer rubber.

As mentioned on the ‘Introductions & Bike Garage’ section of this forum, my R&M Supercharger GH Vario in electric blue with Kiox display is scheduled for week 48 production, and I hope to pick it up some time before Christmas this year.

2. Did you swap out the standard saddle, and if so, what did you swap it for (and why)?
  3. Did you swap over the standard pedals (e.g for Crankbrothers or similar), and if so, what benefits did you note?
Many thanks folks - always interesting to hear other people’s experiences and take on this!

ATB. George.

My RM goody box came with a pump for the suspension.

I have the Pedaling Innovation Catalyst pedals on an RM Charger NuVinci. Yes, they are spendy at $US 100-110. My (non-electric) LBS has been promoting the heck out of them, but if there’s extra power to be had via the large-pedal-area-enhanced stroke, I haven’t detected it. Very grippy, but I also like my Shimano Saints on another bike I own. I found the original pedals a tad slippery, but YMMV.

I have a bunch of broken-in Brooks saddles (various models) around the house which I prefer. I built up a mechanical road bike and lent it to a student — it has the RM stock saddle on it. He likes it. Suggest you just try it out before deciding to swap out.

The handlebar had insufficient real estate for my needs, but a caution: the Kiox will make swapping your stem difficult should you wish to do so to adjust to a different handlebar.

Improving upon the stock brakes (Deore) would probably be my top priority going forward.

Does anyone have any experience with the eMTB mode for the Bosch Performance Line CX motor? Is it more nuisance than it is worth for R&M's Nevo, Supercharger, Homage and Delite, assuming that they are not used for mountain biking?

ATB. George.[/QUOT
If its like my other Bosch powered bike it will have a mixture of Hex and Torx keys so I bought one of these sets which has had every key I have needed and are in a nice tidy box (I tend to loose the odd allen key).
https://www.amazon.co.uk/16pc-HANDL...539678853&sr=8-15&keywords=Hex+&+Torx+Key+Set
I also bought a bike tool kit from Aldi/Liddle when on offer which has been useful, although with the RM not having a chain a lot of the kit is redundant.

Nevo GH 2018 here.

1. No tools provided, except for a suspension pump and some plastic pieces for the brakes, when you transport without wheels.
  2. LBS added spacers to the stem for a more upright seating position.
  3. LBS installed a Rixen&Kaul saddle bag via an MIK adapter Amazon Link
  4. LBS patched out the eMTB mode for the regular Sport mode. This can be reveresed at any time, but requires the LBS to do it.
  5. Replaced the Selle Royal saddle with an SQL Labs 621 Active Link at Amazon DE
  6. Added Case and Mount for my iPhone 7+ Link at Amazon DE
  7. Added original Bosch USB cable and lightning adapter Link at Amazon DE

Next project is to replace the Super Moto Xs with Smart Sams, I am riding more off-road than expected. The Super Motos can handle a lot, but a good allround MTB tire will be better.

Wow!!!!

What a fantastic wealth of feedback, knowledge and information from all of your responses. Many thanks to you all for sharing - I really appreciate it! I’ll read and digest all your suggestions as I wait for delivery of my bike, and may make some selected changes after I’ve got a chance to see how I get on with the default bike straight out of the factory. The recommended tools are cool as well - I’ll review to see what best to invest in before delivery.

Really useful information folks, and exactly the reason why owner forums like this are so invaluable!

Thank you all once again!

George.

I am almost paranoid about punctures.
Pete, make that two of us who are paranoid about punctures.

It is not the bother of fixing a puncture mid-ride that spooks me; it's the sheer impossibility of separating some tyres from their rims that does it. (Right-click for my experience with Bontrager tyres.) Whether this will be the case for George (Super Moto-X, I think) or for you and me (Rock Razor) remains to be seen.

If my new bike comes home on Christmas Eve without modification, the first think that I will do after unwrapping it in the morning is to check whether the tyres can be separated from the rims. The second action will be to fit Panaracer Flat-Away tyre liners. Third, remove valve cores and fill the tubes with Slime.

I have already asked my R&M dealer whether the Schwalbe Rock Razors on the Homage that I ordered can be set up as tubeless. I don't have the answer yet (it depends on the rims) but, if it cannot be done, I've requested that they fit Marathon Plus MTBs in place of the supplied tyres.
... David

Pete, make that two of us who are paranoid about punctures.

It is not the bother of fixing a puncture mid-ride that spooks me; it's the sheer impossibility of separating some tyres from their rims that does it. (Right-click for my experience with Bontrager tyres.) Whether this will be the case for George (Super Moto-X, I think) or for you and me (Rock Razor) remains to be seen.

If my new bike comes home on Christmas Eve without modification, the first think that I will do after unwrapping it in the morning is to check whether the tyres can be separated from the rims. The second action will be to fit Panaracer Flat-Away tyre liners. Third, remove valve cores and fill the tubes with Slime.

I have already asked my R&M dealer whether the Schwalbe Rock Razors on the Homage that I ordered can be set up as tubeless. I don't have the answer yet (it depends on the rims) but, assuming that the answer is negative, I've requested that they fit Marathon Plus MTBs in place of the supplied tyres.
... David
According to Onbike Worcester the rims and tyres are tubless ready or easy but the ones supplied with the bike although the same, may not be. I tried marathon plus mtb tyres on my scott F.S 29er but they were narrow and not very confidence inspiring so don't want to go there, for removal I bought a tyre jack and carry it with me.
I have only recently found out how to add slime to presta valves and will research your other suggestion.
Ideally.. tubless is the way to go.

According to Onbike Worcester the rims and tyres are tubless ready or easy but the ones supplied with the bike although the same, may not be. I tried marathon plus mtb tyres on my scott F.S 29er but they were narrow and not very confidence inspiring so don't want to go there, for removal I bought a tyre jack and carry it with me.
I have only recently found out how to add slime to presta valves and will research your other suggestion.
Ideally.. tubless is the way to go.
Did you have the widest?: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
I have a 57-584 Marathon Plus MTB on my front, so confident with it that i'll be putting one on the back asap. And i have Alex MD40 rims (40mm).
I think the new R&M's come with 35mm rims? That are even more tubeless friendly than the MD40's.

Did you have the widest?: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
I have a 57-584 Marathon Plus MTB on my front, so confident with it that i'll be putting one on the back asap. And i have Alex MD40 rims (40mm).
I think the new R&M's come with 35mm rims? That are even more tubeless friendly than the MD40's.
I think t was 29x2.1, dont understand this other way of sizing (57-584)

Hello from Down Under. I too am waiting for a Supercharger GX Rohloff 2019 version with e-14. I’m expecting roughly end of next week for delivery. Mainly a daily commute to work unit. Expecting to put on about 50km per day.

This forum and others has kept me ‘fed’ whilst waiting. Ordered in late Aug. The Citrus Cycles review on the 2018 Supercharger on YouTube is what swung me. There are no dealers with stock in my city and best I could do was ‘sight’ a unit just before it was delivered.

Anyway, thanks all for sharing.

Is the included lock any good?
Cheers

Does anyone have any experience with the eMTB mode for the Bosch Performance Line CX motor? Is it more nuisance than it is worth for R&M's Nevo, Supercharger, Homage and Delite, assuming that they are not used for mountain biking?
Dave, my 2018 Nevo Nuvinci GH with Bosch CX has eMTB instead of SPORT. My 2018 Homage HS does not have the eMTB mode (not available on the HS Performance model).

I personally prefer having SPORT as my third tier assist mode rather than eMTB. The idea behind eMTB is to keep a mountain biker's attention on the path and eliminate the need to change assist level, letting an algorithm make the choices. I prefer having the control. Given that I ride almost exclusively on roads, not off road, I like keeping control of my electrons through judicious use of Sport when needed. As I understand it eMTB gives assist everywhere between TOUR and TURBO. If I want or need Turbo, I will make that selection. After all, both the Nevo and the Homage are road bikes, not mountain bikes. The Bosch CX just happens to be the unit they have designed to be used on electric mountain bikes.

Once you get used to changing assist with the left thumb, it becomes second nature and requires little attention, not taking your eyes off the road ahead. On a long ride, I keep the bike in ECO or Tour (unless going up a steep hill). Riding in town with traffic, I switch the bike to SPORT, so I can more closely match the 25mph speed of surrounding cars which I find much safer. If I am climbing a super steep hill or just want to let it rip, I use TURBO. Riding a HS Bosch bike with Rohloff in Turbo gives a much shortened range, around 25 miles. But if I am not going far, it is great fun to put it in TURBO, really lean in to the pedals and let the bike fly. With full suspension you quickly get comfortable with greater speed than you are accustomed to on a bike. This is the great result of R&M "control technology" on the Homage and Delight. You're going to love the new bike!

Dave... you're going to love the new bike!
Richard ...
Thank you! I'm now past the midway point between ordering the Homage and its build week. Whether it arrives during December or January is anyone's guess but, for the moment, I'll pretend that I'll pick it up on Christmas Eve. There are a couple of UK forum members who are slotted in for the same build week (Week 48 = Homage Kiox week?) and I suspect that the 'lorry' trip to London and plane ride to Brisbane (extra AU$500) will take about the same time. I've already done the entire sea voyage from the Europe to Australia (but not all in the same direction) and wouldn't wish it on a bike!
... David

EMTB works quite nicely. It's a pleasant way to ride, especially for a newby. I just prefer manual control of how I use my electrons

Having said that, I think the idea of "smart assist levels" is a good one and nobody in the space is adequately exploring them.

One idea is what I call a "boosted" mode which gives turbo-like pedal assist below 6-8 mph and then behaves like tour or eco modes. That would make it much easier to operate the bike in stop and go traffic and get started on hills.

Another idea is related to an observation I have made: that when you are riding above about 17mph the power output from the Bosch (I'm not talking about HS models here) is very low regardless of pedal assist level. On the flats and slight downhills there is a sweet spot for efficiency in that speed range. So it would be nice to have a mode that would try to keep you in that speed range. It would be awesome on fast flats and slight downhills but you would drain your battery with vampiric efficiency on uphills.

Bosch or anybody else is free to use those ideas without paying me a royalty :).

Back