2022 Nevo 3 or Homage?

wscott

Region
USA
Hi,

I am new to ebikes, but have been researching for over a year.

I am 47 year old 260lb guy and out of shape. I love to ride bikes, but have not done it for a while. I want a one and done bike that will last and be an excellent all-rounder, do anything bike. Good for around town, light trails, and once a year 2-3 day overnight adventures. Upright posture, sturdy, comfortable, reliable, as future proof as possible - are priorities. I see a future of really getting into it. I am willing to spend for quality, performance, and reliability. I have narrowed it down to R&M Homage Vario vs Nevo3 GX Vario . I have only ridden the Nevo 2019 model and liked it. I have questions for owners that would help immensely.

1) Why should I pick the Nevo 3 over the Homage?

2) Why should I pick the Homage over the Nevo 3?

3) Any advantage of the non-HS version over the HS version, besides cost?

4) What was the top alternative you considered, before buying your Homage or Nevo?

Being a large person myself (started biking at 305, now 235) I think the frames with more rigidity are better (something like the Charger). If you need low entry, they have Mixte frames which can help.

I haven’t tried the full suspension bikes for R&M but on other brands I have struggled with the suspension not being designed for guys our size. If you are set between these 2 models, then if it were me, I’d pick Nevo and I’d you need more suspension, then upgrade the seat post to the Kinekt 2.1 XL2 (have one, it’s amazing).

I prefer an upright posture. So I think the Nevo and Homage are more upright than the charger correct?

Good point about the rear suspension for bigger guys. How will it perform and hold up in the long run? If it can be adjusted for bigger guys and be reliable, I would prefer the comfort of rear suspension. If not, then you have me leaning toward the Nevo 3.

Any other thoughts?

My friend has replied. It looks like he chose the Homage for the range and suspension. His wife is too small for the smallest Homage frame, so she chose the small Nevo3.
They both like the slightly more upright pose, but I think he's going to put the bars down a bit, and then put horns on so he has upright options when he wants them, or more leverage when he needs that.

The problem with the Homage is that currently there's a significant production delay relating to the frame. Mine's "in production" since early November. They're attributing to the "global shipping issue". A bit of the crutch excuse imho.

The problem with the Homage is that currently there's a significant production delay relating to the frame. Mine's "in production" since early November. They're attributing to the "global shipping issue". A bit of the crutch excuse imho.
You've proudly demonstrated twice now a total lack of understanding of the logistics of bicycle manufacturing and distribution on these boards, and I just have to ask: what reason would a company would have to lie about this?

I’ve got the Nevo3 GT Vario GX and am extremely pleased with it.

Apart from cost, main differences are no twin tube battery and no rear suspension. Having said that, I’ve now got a spare battery, but never needed it yet and the Thudbuster seat suspension is very good. You can change the inner elastomer depending on your weight.

When I started riding it, I was around 123kg, but am now around 95kg. Even when I was larger, there was no flex in the bike at all and it was nice and stable. The GX version allows you to go on some pretty rough tracks and the Schwalbe Johnny Watts that are fitted to mine seem to handle all that I throw at it.

In the seven months that I’ve had it, I’ve put 1700 miles on it with no real issues. Had a squeally rear brake to begin with, but the LBS soon sorted that out.

Last edited:
You've proudly demonstrated twice now a total lack of understanding of the logistics of bicycle manufacturing and distribution on these boards, and I just have to ask: what reason would a company would have to lie about this?
Everything is being effected by this. Global supply is a big issue and has a serious impact on all types of manufacturing.

Without sounding too simplistic about it, you'd understand how optically, it'd be better to assign blame on a large macro level issue, rather than taking the responsibility to put in place supply chain measures that would mitigate risk your supply partners do not deliver on time.

i.e. "We're sorry but this is really isn't our fault, it's our supply partners in Taiwan and their chosen shipping company.

I understand there's a "shipping problem on a global scale", but I lack the understanding as to why SOME companies are not adapting to it a lot faster.

PS. I'm not trying to slag R&M for the sake of it. But I am trying to inform another forum member of the potential downside they may face for opting for an Homage. This is an Homage specific issue. Peace out and get off my back mate.

Back