2022 Specialized Como Turbo 5.0 vs R&M vs Stromer ST2

Which other bikes did you consider before the. Como and why did you rule them out and choose the Como?

Interesting that they've locked in the handlebars.
It is a comfort e-bike. If you rode one of those, you would have understood why.

For instance, older Comos were available in only two sizes. An average person could comfortably ride either of them.

It is a comfort e-bike. If you rode one of those, you would have understood why.

For instance, older Comos were available in only two sizes. An average person could comfortably ride either of them.
For me, with an M/L Como 3, I needed to raise the bars 160mm. My wife needed bars raised on her Giant La Free. Both of us are over 60, have mild arthritis, some lower back issues. What Specialized has done is prioritized form over function with their new Como design. The stock setup has the bars too low and too far forward for either of us - we find that the comfort e-bike lacks the comfort we need, and were used to with their prior iteration. So, I guess neither of us is average - but then, being average is something both of us has always tried to avoid ;-)

You would demo ride a 2022 Como to determine the right e-bike size, wouldn't you? I think Como is very tolerant regarding the size.
I did demo ride a Como SL (same handlebar design as the 2022 Como) in two sized frames and neither worked for me due to the handlebars. It's WHY I wrote to Specialized to find out how I can correct their shortsightedness. And you read the reply. The other thing about the new Como SL is that they don't have the switch next to the grip for toggling which level of assistance you are getting. You have to reach down to the downtube to change. Not terribly great when you are going 28mph (which is pretty hard to hit, given the new motors). Anyway, I was really looking forward these new bikes and have come away quite disappointed with what they left out.

I did demo ride a Como SL (same handlebar design as the 2022 Como) in two sized frames and neither worked for me due to the handlebars. It's WHY I wrote to Specialized to find out how I can correct their shortsightedness. And you read the reply. The other thing about the new Como SL is that they don't have the switch next to the grip for toggling which level of assistance you are getting. You have to reach down to the downtube to change. Not terribly great when you are going 28mph (which is pretty hard to hit, given the new motors). Anyway, I was really looking forward these new bikes and have come away quite disappointed with what they left out.
Actually, at the faster speeds you generally don't have to look for or control the power. It is at slower speed or uphills where you want to change the power setting that you have to look between your thighs for the button - awkward. Also, unless they've changed the way it works. It is a cycle. You cannot go down one or two power levels. You have to go UP to the Third level and then it cycles back down to First power level and then up to Second, etc. So, if you are in Second and want to lower the power, you have to get to 3 and then back down to 1. If in 3 and you want 2, you have to go down to one and then to 2.

I just had the Creo remote buttons added to mine. One button up, the other down.

Actually, at the faster speeds you generally don't have to look for or control the power. It is at slower speed or uphills where you want to change the power setting that you have to look between your thighs for the button - awkward. Also, unless they've changed the way it works. It is a cycle. You cannot go down one or two power levels. You have to go UP to the Third level and then it cycles back down to First power level and then up to Second, etc. So, if you are in Second and want to lower the power, you have to get to 3 and then back down to 1. If in 3 and you want 2, you have to go down to one and then to 2.

I just had the Creo remote buttons added to mine. One button up, the other down.
The original Como all have the up/down power buttons, which work great. I couldn't believe they left that off the new Como, which works exactly as you describe - one way cycling through. Pretty cumbersome. I'll bet your happy with the up/down buttons now on your Creo.

The original Como all have the up/down power buttons, which work great. I couldn't believe they left that off the new Como, which works exactly as you describe - one way cycling through. Pretty cumbersome. I'll bet your happy with the up/down buttons now on your Creo.
I find it surprising that they would regress in that area. I happen to think it is an inherent safety issue.

I've only had the buttons about two weeks. Still getting use to them. Their localized sensitivity means that I have to press the RIGHT spot. The down is less specific, the up needs to be more right-on.

Now I can understand your dilemma, Bob! I could see two new Como SL and these looked... well... too post-modernist, too much city e-bikes to me. And I realized there was no handlebar remote there! Taken into account the new Vado has got "comfortized", perhaps it is worth trying now?

One thing about the 2022 Como 4.0 or 5.0 or the SL. The new Comos have no way to adjust or raise the handlebars. They have a proprietary head on the front of the bike that won’t take a riser or let you replace the bars. SO, you have to either love the position you get or you are out of luck. Here’s the response from Specialized:

“Thank you for your patience. I apologize for the long response time, we are experiencing a very high volume of inquiries and are trying to get to each one as soon as possible.

Unfortunately the new Como and Como SL does not have a way to adjust the height of the handlebars, and no aftermarket options are available. I'm sorry for any disappointment this may cause.

See you outside!

René | USA Rider Care Representative | [email protected]

That said, I love my 2020 Como 3.0 and I loved my 2.0 until the frame cracked at the motor mount and they replaced it with the 3.0. Great bike.
That alone would be enough to make me scratch it off my list. I don’t think I’ve ever owned a bike on which I didn’t swap out the bars, stem, or both, to dial-in the fit to my personal specs. I wasn’t sure what you meant until I looked closely at the pics and sure enough. They are using some sort of propriety combination bar and stem unit that looks different from any other I’ve ever seen.

Last edited:
That alone would be enough to make me scratch it off my list. I don’t think I’ve ever owned a bike on which I didn’t swap out the bars, stem, or both, to dial-in the fit to my personal specs. I wasn’t sure what you meant until I looked closely at the pics and sure enough. They are using some sort of propriety combination bar and stem unit that looks different from any other I’ve ever seen.
Why not the new 2022 Vado 5.0?

Why not the new 2022 Vado 5.0?
That would be the way I'd have to go. With a dramatic riser and bars. And the geometry's a little tighter, so that would take some getting used to, coming from my Como 3.0. But I think it's the only way forward. It'd be great if Vado did an internal hub/carbon belt option.

Back