Specialized Como or Trek Verve+ for most upright ride.

CCG

Region
USA
We are new to e-bikes and are getting ready to purchase a couple of e-bikes and have narrowed choice between Trek Verve+ 3 or 4s and Specialized Como 3.0 or 4.0. Wife and I are seniors with some aches and pain in lower back or shoulders/neck. Which of these bike will give us the most upright riding position? I like the Como but and a little concerned that the handle bars cannot be adjusted to be closer to the seat. The Verve+ does have more adjustment in the handle bar and would have more flexibility in the future. Como has wider tire and front suspension fork while the Verve has a suspension seat post. Any guidance and words of wisdom would be appreciated.

I would avoid the Como just because it has a nonstandard stem/handlebar setup. It might work for you, but if it doesn't, it's not easy to change. Any other bike can be adjusted by a bike shop to significantly change the riding position by changing handlebars, stem, etc.

While you are not truly comparing apples and oranges between a Verve 4s and your other choices, I recommend the 4s. I don’t have personal experience with the Como but recognize Specialized and Trek as very comparable. I had a Verve 3 and sold it because it was too upright for me. I now ride an Allant 7s & and an 8s. But had the dealer add a handlebar riser.

My wife has a Verve+2 and a 4s. The non-comparison is to the “s.” The Sport motor is the differentiator. I recommend you get “s” models if you can. You will never regret that you have more upper-end power. You may never need it until you want it. That long steep hill, or against a pesky wind.

Yes, the front suspension is desirable and a key reason for my owning a 7s - my favorite bike. I also have suspended seat posts. You can also simulate the front suspension for most rides just by softening your front tire by a few psi.

Have fun with whichever bikes you choose.

Back