Some LMT'D updates

Why would they spec a quick release seatpost and skewer? I can't see any good reason, especially for a bike that's intended as a commuter/urban model.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the seatpost it must be easier to adjust and the skewer for quick tire removal. It is the same on this $4600.00 model.

Attachments

• 2020-moustache-samedi-27-xroad-5-selle-royal-shadow-plus-saddle-exa-form-suspension-seatpost-1...jpg
    2020-moustache-samedi-27-xroad-5-selle-royal-shadow-plus-saddle-exa-form-suspension-seatpost-1...jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 229
Canyon has well designed urban bikes. They have neither. Quick release seatposts are particularly rare, except maybe on bikes intended to be shared, like a family cargo bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess personal experiences differ. Every bike I have has a quick release seatpost and quick release axles. Other than the R1U, they are all mountain bikes. Nobody on a trail wants to dig out the multi tool just to straighten the nose of the saddle or adjust the height. Same goes for wheels if you have to do a trail side repair. Most people appreciate being able to remove the seat and front wheel in order to put it in the back of a small SUV or hatchback. They probably appreciate it more than the threat of having it stolen because they are not away from their bikes for long when on a trail. Maybe a city bike is different, but that is what long cables/locks are for, right?

Yes, city bikes are different. A lock can't secure both wheels. A bolt skewer is easily defeated obviously, but at least you need to be carrying a tool to remove it. Plus you can fill in the bolt with Hexlox or glued metal to defeat theft somewhat.

To be sure these are all minor details, it just makes me wonder how much thought or control goes into the process. Or the bikes are geared to weekend warriors and not commuters.

I don't do mtb ever, but I imagine being able to change the seatpost quickly due to terrain is useful, and the bike is never out of your sight. Neither applies to city riding.

Seems to be a huge batch of LMT'Ds going out on the Ride1up Facebook page including mine. I received my Email with the Fedex tracking number saying delivery date is tomorrow. It has left the Fedex facility in Sparks NV. and I live in Las Vegas 400 miles away so I'm thinking there is a good chance it will be on time and hopefully not much transport damage. We'll see.

Mine just got delivered today. It was right on time and the box was in great shape. I haven’t opened it all up to assemble yet as I won’t have the time to do it all at once until Friday.

Quick disconnects on the front wheel and seat post vs hex bolts or bolt skewers are personal preferences so Ride1Up had to make a choice knowing some might not like it. I’ve known commuters who take their seat and wheel with them when they park their bike at work, and I’ve known MTB riders who prefer the hex bolts on their seat post. Fortunately those parts aren’t hard to swap to fit the owners specific preference. In my view, the LMT’D is more of a hybrid commuter and light duty mountain bike. I won’t be doing any rock hopping or stump jumping on it, but it’s not going to be restricted to paved trails and streets with me, either.

Update from Fedex. My shipment was sent from Sparks NV. to the one in City of Industry CA. outside of L.A. Doesn't make much sense to me since it adds over 400 miles to the distance for a total of 800. Go figure.

Update from Fedex. My shipment was sent from Sparks NV. to the one in City of Industry CA. outside of L.A. Doesn't make much sense to me since it adds over 400 miles to the distance for a total of 800. Go figure.

Mike - fingers crossed they get to you quick! Looking froward to reading your reviews/thoughts here. Great to see some of the people that were asking about the first Gen LMT'd, are finally getting their own!!!

I Don't know how it can be on a FedEx truck for delivery for two days but I'm still waiting,
  • Friday , 9/11/2020
    3:32 am
    HENDERSON, NV
    On FedEx vehicle for delivery
  • 2:53 am
    HENDERSON, NV
    At local FedEx facility
  • Thursday , 9/10/2020
    8:57 am
    HENDERSON, NV
    On FedEx vehicle for delivery
  • 8:22 am
    HENDERSON, NV
    At local FedEx facility
  • 1:43 am
    CITY OF INDUSTRY, CA
    Departed FedEx location
  • Wednesday , 9/09/2020
    10:00 pm
    CITY OF INDUSTRY, CA
    Arrived at FedEx location
  • 6:59 pm
    LOS ANGELES, CA
    In transit
  • 6:52 am
    SPARKS, NV
    Left FedEx origin facility
  • Tuesday , 9/08/2020
    9:38 pm
    SPARKS, NV
    Arrived at FedEx location
  • 4:53 pm
    SPARKS, NV
    Picked up
  • Friday , 9/04/2020
    10:45 am

Shipment information sent to FedEx

Well I got my bike. Considering I'm in the same state Nevada as the Ride1up warehouse, Fed ex did one hell of a job on the packaging between point A and point B. Considering the shape of the box when I received it the only things I noticed so far is the charger has some surface scratches since the cheap Chinese cardboard container for it was broken open which I can live with. Also a scratch/gouge in the front fork on the front black portion. I thought a crank was missing but the left is one the bike and the right is off to put on the sprocket. I'm going to double check the fork spacers placement on line and go out and assemble the fork.

Attachments

• 20200911_151118_resized.jpg
    20200911_151118_resized.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 401
  • 20200911_151131_resized.jpg
    20200911_151131_resized.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 396
  • 20200911_151141_resized.jpg
    20200911_151141_resized.jpg
    476.8 KB · Views: 421
  • 20200911_151154_resized.jpg
    20200911_151154_resized.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 421
  • 20200911_151801_resized.jpg
    20200911_151801_resized.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 408
I can't believe FedEx managed to do that much damage... Looks like they actually taped the box up to keep it together.

Mine was shipped cross country and had very minor wear/tear in comparison. Unreal. If all you suffered was that fork scratch (charger will get scuffed up in the garage anyways), that's not terrible. A dab of mat black paint will hide the fork scratch all day.

I gave up on assembling it tonight. I messed around with the fork for quite a while wondering what I was doing wrong. After checking out the Facebook page my bike was one of the ones shipped with the wrong size sleeve ring. Also the bolt on the top had a chunk of metal in the thread. Luckily I didn't try to tighten it down and had a few laying around to replace it with.

I hooked the battery to my charger and you can see what the volts are they ship it with. It is much more compact then my other two 48 volt batteries. The original was 11.4 amp and the upgraded one is 17.5 in the same housing. I don't think they can upgrade the LMT'D battery since it is so compact but I'm just guessing. 14 amps will cover 95% of my rides. Also the other design comes with a USB port.

So I'm not impressed with the quality control from what I see so far. I have a feeling Ride1up just wants to get these bikes out as fast as they can right off the boat since everything is back-ordered and will deal with problems as they arise. I think when I purchased my EGlide they received their bikes from China but had someone in their shop in Santa Barbara assemble them and made sure everything was working. I had no issues with my EGlide ST on assembly.

I would think they would want to make sure the bikes have no problems because who wants to have a bike sent back. No profit in that.

The bottom line is we purchased these bikes because we are frugal. Nice word for cheap. I didn't want to pay $2800.00 for a Dost with a 750 watt mid drive. That's a $1000.00 savings but then you have to deal with stuff like this.

I'll post again tomorrow when I finish assembling the bike.

Attachments

• 20200911_190127_resized.jpg
    20200911_190127_resized.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 444
  • 20200911_190050_resized.jpg
    20200911_190050_resized.jpg
    514.8 KB · Views: 470
  • 20200911_190043_resized.jpg
    20200911_190043_resized.jpg
    524.4 KB · Views: 436
  • 20200911_185201_resized.jpg
    20200911_185201_resized.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 421
  • 20200911_185137_resized.jpg
    20200911_185137_resized.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 437
  • 20200911_185038_resized.jpg
    20200911_185038_resized.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 428
After watching the LMT'D assembly video again I think the split ring they sent was wrong. At 1:52 the split ring can get pushed all the way in. If mine did that the sleeve ring and spacers would probably fall right into place. I'll have to send an email to Ride1UP tomorrow.

Ok, I put the sprocket and chain on this morning. Tried to adjust the rear derailleur and just made it worse so I took it to my local bike shop and while I waited they adjusted the rear derailleur and both brake calipers for $24.00. Took it for a quick ride and the electronics seem ok. I put on my small pedals since I'm not a fan of those big blocks. I already put on my adjustable riser and will add my Topeak rack this afternoon.

So what I was missing in my box was I heard there was some tools which I didn't receive but I had my own. No cage for the water bottle unless they send that separate. Missing the washer for the right crank arm bolt.
Also the wrong split ring and sleeve ring was sent and will not tighten down without a space. The bike shop said the same thing. A few people had the same problem on the Facebook page.

People complaining about the pedals are too low, my EGlide ST are lower. More information to come.

Attachments

• 20200912_113516_resized.jpg
    20200912_113516_resized.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 392
  • 20200912_085216_resized.jpg
    20200912_085216_resized.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 385
Ok, I put the sprocket and chain on this morning. Tried to adjust the rear derailleur and just made it worse so I took it to my local bike shop and while I waited they adjusted the rear derailleur and both brake calipers for $24.00. Took it for a quick ride and the electronics seem ok. I put on my small pedals since I'm not a fan of those big blocks. I already put on my adjustable riser and will add my Topeak rack this afternoon.

So what I was missing in my box was I heard there was some tools which I didn't receive but I had my own. No cage for the water bottle unless they send that separate. Missing the washer for the right crank arm bolt.
Also the wrong split ring and sleeve ring was sent and will not tighten down without a space. The bike shop said the same thing. A few people had the same problem on the Facebook page.

People complaining about the pedals are too low, my EGlide ST are lower. More information to come.

Mike

None of the Gen1 LMT’ds came with tools either... Good work getting it to your local bike shop! I’ve seen other FB posts as well that indicate the incorrect split and sleeve rings were shipped - I’d press R1Up to address.

As far as the water bottle cage goes. It appears they only shipped them with the Gen1. It was nothing special and I skipped installing it.

I’m scratching my head on the whole pedal hitting the ground thing. I’m going to measure mine - distance from bottom of crank arm to ground and report back. I’ve had zero issue with this - but I recall ebike escape’s video review of the LMT’D stating the same issue. Weird.

My overarching message - stick with it Mike, be patient. I love my LMT’d - it was worth working through a few issues - I love riding it.

Last edited:
Back