Some LMT'D updates

Ok. I am loving my new LMT’D even though I’m having a few issues which I’ve seen on the Facebook page others may be having too. 0watt issue -randomly where I cannot get power from the motor with either throttle or peddling the torque sensor. Stop,cycle the power to the screen and the issue resolved till the next time. I had this happen right at the beginning of a ride. I’ve also had it happen in the middle of a ride when I was turning around (did not engage motor while turning, then when I went to go, no power to motor). 0watt appears on screen without anyone errors

the second issue I have is similar however I get an over current protection erroron the screen and power is lost to the motor. Sometimes I see this error flash several times over a minute and it resolves itself.

these two issues are frustrating however I do love riding this bike and exploring my city!

Other than that a couple of small things. Missing cap for my right peddle arm, and the cable wrap that was sent for the handlebar cables was only 10”. Must have gotten an end of roll as it’s not long enough to wrap the cables
Try pedaling instead of peddling. And someone on FB got a new controller sent to them (who posts on this forum also), and their LMT'D is performing much better without the random "no power" issues. You need to contact Ride1Up support.

Same issue on my Lmt'd, received 9/10 and built on 9/14. Received error code 21, "Over Current Protection" error from the jump. Thought it might sort itself out on its own but no luck. On an attempted ride this morning, the same issue. Reached out to Ride1up via email noting the error and a new controller is on its way. Appears to be fairly simple to replace. Kudos to Ride1up on impressive email response time, < 2 hours from my initial email to their first response, on a Saturday no less.

I did not appreciate that the display did not have a USB port on it (poor due diligence on my part). However, I'm using a Magicshine RN1200 front light (one of the only USB-C rechargeable bike lights) and was happy to discover that this light can also power a phone, if necessary. For anyone curious about that light, here's the link:

Also ordered the Lmt'd rear bike rack and am impressed with the quality of the rack. I've ordered an Anzome rear bike basket for the rack to facilitate grocery and errand runs.

Final note, I ordered and attempted to install a Kinect 2.1 Aluminum Suspension seatpost in size 30.9 and am disappointed to discover that it doesn't appear to fit. It seems as I need to order a smaller diameter with a shim...

Would also recommend as a first upgrade replacing the standard grips with the Ergon GP1's.

Last edited:
From some of the posts I viewed on R1U's Facebook page, looks like many just want cheap and buy an assemble yourself bike with no mechanical ability. I can understand why R1U suggests a Pro to assemble. I chose R1U because cheap AND components were my guidelines. I think I remember a R1U comment that 95% of the complaints are because of assembly errors. Another big factor was to prove this poster wrong: :

"No it’s fact. The bike (700) has very cheap parts and not even an bafang motor. 1000 bikes have to be made cheaply since batteries are expensive. Mid drives have far more power because they use the drive train. But hey it’s your money spend it how you will. The RU is a hub drive bike with really cheap components and it looks like some generic battery. it only has a cadence sensor the turbo (Specialized Turbo Vado SL 4.0 EQ @ $3500) is a light weight road bike made for light assistance use but would still have far more torque since it is a mid drive. its like a yugo and a mid priced car".

Too many people give opinions without real ownership knowledge and experience.
Have you had a chance to ride a Vado? Just curious...

Final note, I ordered and attempted to install a Kinect 2.1 Aluminum Suspension seatpost in size 30.9 and am disappointed to discover that it doesn't appear to fit. It seems as I need to order a small diameter and shim...
Yeah, I've seen someone else report that. They are 30.4 now IIRC.

Yeah, I've seen someone else report that. They are 30.4 now IIRC.

Thanks for the data point for the shim. I just ordered the shim from Cirrus. If anyone is looking for the Kinect 2.1 seatpost, this vendor is selling it with a 25% off coupon code. Since I have to return the incorrectly sized seatpost I ordered from Amazon I figured I'd order the 27.2 size from this vendor.

Ok. I am loving my new LMT’D ...

Graham - Welcome aboard. I jumped through a hoop or two to get my LMT'D sorted and have not looked back. Super dependable bike. Has changed the way I get around and has changed where I go... All those places nearby where parking is tough or traffic is a PITA. That's gone. I think it - hop on the bike - and go there.

Graham - Welcome aboard. I jumped through a hoop or two to get my LMT'D sorted and have not looked back. Super dependable bike. Has changed the way I get around and has changed where I go... All those places nearby where parking is tough or traffic is a PITA. That's gone. I think it - hop on the bike - and go there.

I received the missing crank bolt spacer from Ride1up today. They sent me a set. Everything seems sorted out now.

Had a clicking noise coming from the crank. Changed out the pedals but still had the noise. Took a spirited ride today really leaning on the pedals getting to warp speed. It went away so maybe the crank arm just had to seat itself.

I want to discuss with Ride1up support about possibly changing the sensitivity of the torque sensor. The bike books when I pedal hard but I have been spoiled by using a cadence sensor for so long. I'm really getting a workout for once! At factory settings the sensitivity is set at 24 under Assistant Num. I think it will go from 5 to 24. I'd like to not have to pedal as hard to go to warp speed but I think Ride1up spent a lot of time to get their torque sensor straightened out. Every change effects battery range and you have a whole spectrum of riders who are using it. Some people want a good workout with a little extra oomph.

But in the meantime I'm enjoying the ride.

Attachments

• 119952141_10224416347057494_8140500725149360389_o.jpg
    119952141_10224416347057494_8140500725149360389_o.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 241
  • 20200917_124032_resized.jpg
    20200917_124032_resized.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 374
I restored it to factory settings. This is the current set for PAS 1, 2 and 3. I'm not sure if it goes above 22 amps.

Attachments

• 20200917_124032_resized.jpg
    20200917_124032_resized.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 334
  • 20200917_123909_resized.jpg
    20200917_123909_resized.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 356
  • 20200917_123654_resized.jpg
    20200917_123654_resized.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 345
I restored it to factory settings. This is the current set for PAS 1, 2 and 3. I'm not sure if it goes above 22 amps.

Mike - a couple thoughts...

1) On other R1U bikes, the current setting does effect torque supplied by the engine.

2) I’ve read that on the 2nd gen LMT’Ds, you can use the throttle to propel the bike - over 20mph as long as you are peddling. Try it and report back if this was rumor or fact...

1) On other R1U bikes, the current setting does effect torque supplied by the engine.

2) I’ve read that on the 2nd gen LMT’Ds, you can use the throttle to propel the bike - over 20mph as long as you are peddling. Try it and report back if this was rumor or fact...

I have used the throttle to get up to 22 mph. I have also used the throttle to start out then started pedaling and there is no hesitation between the two. Going for a ride this morning so will experiment some more.

The throttle works even when engaging the torque sensor while pedalling and can easily reach these speeds

Same issue on my Lmt'd, received 9/10 and built on 9/14. Received error code 21, "Over Current Protection" error from the jump. Thought it might sort itself out on its own but no luck. On an attempted ride this morning, the same issue. Reached out to Ride1up via email noting the error and a new controller is on its way. Appears to be fairly simple to replace. Kudos to Ride1up on impressive email response time, < 2 hours from my initial email to their first response, on a Saturday no less.
I second that.. Kevin is very responsive... also replied to my request within hours on a Sat and has the new controller ordered. Bravo R1U!!

So today when I was riding around it was hot and I am still experimenting with the bike. I tried an extended stretch on full throttle for about a mile and I lost power. I still had the display but no throttle or power by the crank sensor to the motor. I shut it down and within a few minutes started back up and I had power again. Before that we were sightseeing in the art district so I was throttling and pedaling and switching quite frequently between the two. This happened a total of 4 times this afternoon. I don't recall seeing a fault code but I was in the full blazing sun with no shade in Las Vegas so I was uncomfortably hot.

It seemed to me something was getting too hot and was shutting down to protect the motor or controller. I ended up finishing the ride with power and actually racing my friend back to his house. What was going on I don't know. Will be interested to see if this happens to anybody else.

So today when I was riding around it was hot and I am still experimenting with the bike. I tried an extended stretch on full throttle for about a mile and I lost power. I still had the display but no throttle or power by the crank sensor to the motor. I shut it down and within a few minutes started back up and I had power again. Before that we were sightseeing in the art district so I was throttling and pedaling and switching quite frequently between the two. This happened a total of 4 times this afternoon. I don't recall seeing a fault code but I was in the full blazing sun with no shade in Las Vegas so I was uncomfortably hot.

It seemed to me something was getting too hot and was shutting down to protect the motor or controller. I ended up finishing the ride with power and actually racing my friend back to his house. What was going on I don't know. Will be interested to see if this happens to anybody else.
Hey Mike. email from Kevin indicated that the "over current protection- error 21" and the other instance of no error however no power via throttle or torque sensor are indeed known related issues and they are sending a replacement controller to resolve this. I took my bike out yesterday afternoon for a 1hr ride... it happened to me 5-6 times where I paused throttle or pedaling and got the overcurrent protection error. Randomly came back then out again ..... really got a leg workout yesterday. Seems to be worse with a fully charged battery... Can't wait till I get the new controller to resolve these issues.

Last edited:
I rode again this morning and just used the torque sensor to ride. I used the throttle only twice to take off from a stop but you really do not need need that ability since the torque sensor will get the bike moving right away. Old habits from cadence sensor riding. I had 0 instances of the bike shutting off today. I was using the throttle quite a bit yesterday and I wonder if it draws too much power causing the controller or the motor to shut down and cool off. The throttle will get my LMT'D up to 22 mph before kicking off.

It is just disconcerting having the bike stop pulling far from home, and also in the Mohave desert and no shade nearby.

I have been so spoiled by cadence sensor E-bikes that now I have to really pedal like a regular bike to get up a good head of steam. But I have to admit, it put a grin on my face this morning riding it.

GrahamB let us know what happens when you get the new controller.

So since my last update I have had quite a few rides with my LMT'D now. Ride1up sent me two new crank bolts to replace the missing ring around the right crank bolt. Received that Saturday.

The bike is fun to ride. The torque sensor is more like a real bike feel of pushing the pedals for power but you do get a lot of power. The seat is comfortable for me and the wide tires help soak up imperfections in the road.

The motor is loud. Not sure why. Maybe instead of nylon gears like other geared hub motors they are steel for torque and heat? Or a more robust design? I've gotten used to it and if I wear my iPod it's a non issue.

I've seem to have one of the LMT'Ds with the motor cutting out. First time it happened Sunday 4 times. Monday no problem and Wednesday once on a 20 mile ride. The display is still normal, no codes but no motor power or noise like it is working till it comes back on line. Sunday was a bitch when it happened since it was so hot here and no shade. Yesterday was at the end of my ride and was more of a nuisance then anything.

Sunday I was using the throttle quite extensively. Since then I have not used the throttle except for a few short take offs from a stop. If I had to speculate would say something is heating up and shutting down to protect itself from overheating but that is just a guess. So yesterday afternoon I wrote an email to the support site and will see what they say.

Here is the note I wrote:

First I would like to say I am very happy with my LMT'D but I have had an issue with it twice now.

Sunday 09/20 I had the motor shut down on me 4 times. I was traveling with some friends to the Art district here in Las Vegas and so I was using the throttle quite often to go short distances between the sites. There was a stretch where I used it for about a 1/2 mile when the motor stopped working. No sound and no power. The display was normal with no codes. I powered down and within a few minutes powered back up and no problem for a few miles and then it shut down again 3 times before I got home. Every time I would power it down for a few minutes and power up again. I was thinking some part was getting to warm using the throttle and turned off to protect itself.

The couple of rides I did the days before I had no problems.

Monday 09/21 I decided to do a ride and not use the throttle except for two short starts from intersections and had no problem. About 12 miles.

This morning 09/23 I took about a 20 mile ride and again used the throttle only a few times and at about 18.5 miles the motor stopped pulling. No codes. I pedaled a little while with the display off and when I turned it back on I had power and finished the ride.

Those are the only problems I have experienced so far. If you have any feedback on why it would do that let me know please.

Attachments

• 1234.jpg
    1234.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 319
Received and installed the new controller yesterday. A bit of a PITA given the relatively small space to work in but I got it sorted in about 20 minutes. Took a quick ride yesterday and it seemed to resolve the "over current protection- error 21" issue. I took it for a more extensive ride this morning and everything seems to be working as expected. I'll be interested to see how the Kinect seatpost smooths out the ride. Waiting on the 27.2MM/420MM seatpost to ship from Selle Anatomica and the shim from Cirrus.

After a quick ~ 9 mile, 30-minute ride using setting 3 the entire way and limited use of the throttle I had about 70% battery life remaining. Will be curious to see how that changes after a few more extensive rides and cycling the battery a few times. Summary of ride in pics.

IMG_3229.jpeg
IMG_3230.jpeg

I rode 10 miles yesterday and 22.5 miles today for a total of 32.5 miles and still had battery left on a single charge. Per the graph I had 32% battery left. The motor only stopped once on me during that time close to the end of a steep incline as you can see in the picture. Took the picture shut the display off for a second, turned it back on and it was working again.

Ride1up support isn't sure yet why it is doing that since no codes are being set. They want me to try two things. One, test the performance of the bike after you have reverted the settings to factory default completely, including the PAS settings. The other would be to reduce all PAS settings to 11 amps.

So I'll try that this weekend and see what happens.

Attachments

• 20200925_094426_resized.jpg
    20200925_094426_resized.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 328
  • 20200925_084424_resized.jpg
    20200925_084424_resized.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 352
  • 117951669_10224169184358581_8688776667160418506_n.jpg
    117951669_10224169184358581_8688776667160418506_n.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 238
Back