[SOLVED] Nyon WiFi Connection Problem

NoobNoob

Region
Australia
Hi Everyone, I've been stalking these forums for a while as I waited for my bike to show up!

After it finally arrived last week, I set it all up with the Nyon 2021, but have a problem connecting to WiFi. It works fine with the Bluetooth connection and it’s paired to the phone fine.

My WiFi network has a long name, and a full 63 character pass phrase, using WPA2, operating on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. When searching for WiFi Networks it doesn’t appear in the list discovery list on the Nyon.

I attempted to manually add the network, on the first attempt, after entering the wifi SSID and password, the Nyon displayed the name in the list and showed connecting, it failed with incorrect password.

After this the behaviour of the Nyon changed. Notably the added network doesn’t appear in the list of saved networks. Furthermore, when I attempt to add it again, nothing happens, as in after I select add network enter the network SSID and password, it simply goes to back the discovered WiFi list. It doesn’t show any attempt to connect or acknowledges the entry.

It connects fine to phone's hotspot, just not the home wifi.

Any ideas?

NoobNoob

— Edit: Solved.
Nyon doesn’t support 2.4GHz channel 13. If you are having trouble connecting to your WiFi, check if your WiFi is operating on channel 13 and change if it does.

Last edited:
You cant have both connected at the same time. since you have bluetooth connected thats what to use. there is no reason to have both anyway. it causes issues with the Nyon.

I have a similar wifi setup and my Nyon21 connects to both BT and wifi simultaneously, without problem, including immediately upon arrival home after a ride.

When setting up, I set the Nyon21 wifi connection to be on the 2.4GHz band for greater range and stability. Is yours using that band or automatically trying both?

I wonder if your network name or pass phrase does exceed some inappropriate Nyon21 firmware limit. Could you test on someone else's wifi network?

Also do you have the Nyon21 mounted on the bike when you carry out the wifi setup?

Good luck.

Peter

Last edited:
You cant have both connected at the same time. since you have bluetooth connected thats what to use. there is no reason to have both anyway. it causes issues with the Nyon.
Thanks, but I don't think that's accurate. You can definitely have both connected at the same time, I've just tested this.

There are very good reasons to have WiFi enabled, firstly operating system updates and direct map downloads can only occur over WiFi. Also it means you can sync trips with having your phone with you or nearby.

The issue is that it won't discover my home network, and after manually added, it doesn't show up in known networks and when re-adding, no connection attempt is made. This is a problem.

I have a similar wifi setup and my Nyon21 connects to both BT and wifi simultaneously, without problem, including immediately upon arrival home after a ride.

When setting up, I set the Nyon21 wifi connection to be on the 2.4GHz band for greater range and stability. Is yours using that band or automatically trying both?

I wonder if your network name or pass phrase does exceed some inappropriate Nyon21 firmware limit. Could you test on someone else's wifi network?

Good luck.

Thanks Peter, it connects to the phone hotspot WiFi, so I will disable 5G band and see it comes up as discoverable. Even so the way it behaves after manual entry isn't right.

Thanks Peter, it connects to the phone hotspot WiFi, so I will disable 5G band and see it comes up as discoverable. Even so the way it behaves after manual entry isn't right.
Does the phone hotspot have similarly long network name and password?

I added an additional question to my original post, regarding the device being on the bike during setup.

Cheers

Thanks, but I don't think that's accurate. You can definitely have both connected at the same time, I've just tested this.

There are very good reasons to have WiFi enabled, firstly operating system updates and direct map downloads can only occur over WiFi. Also it means you can sync trips with having your phone with you or nearby.

The issue is that it won't discover my home network, and after manually added, it doesn't show up in known networks and when re-adding, no connection attempt is made. This is a problem.
thats not true I have updated my nyon and all the maps and trips all sync over my phone. but I have found glitches having both running. all my rides sync over bluetooth every day. I have not the nyon on wifi since I got it. actually I just tried it and now its fine so maybe it was fixed. my old nyon you cant have both on or bluetooth wont work. but the maps had not updated and there was overall update that I did not know about. but I had one update over bluetooth.

Last edited:
thats not true I have updated my nyon and all the maps and trips all sync over my phone. but I have found glitches having both running. all my rids sync over bluetooth every day. I haven to hand the nyon on wifi since I got it.
Can you describe the glitches you have experienced?

Thanks

thats not true I have updated my nyon and all the maps and trips all sync over my phone. but I have found glitches having both running. all my rids sync over bluetooth every day. I haven to hand the nyon on wifi since I got it.

That should have read you can sync "without" having your phone nearby. With BT you are tied to the phone to sync trips.

Maps don't sync over BT, if you have them downloaded to your phone it will stream them to Nyon but they won't appear as an offline map. You can't download maps directly on the device, a "No WiFi" message pops up. Same for operating system update.

Does the phone hotspot have similarly long network name and password?

I added an additional question to my original post, regarding the device being on the bike during setup.

Cheers

The hotspot has a shorter name and passphrase, so it could be that. I tried connecting without the Nyon on the bike as passphrase is long and hard to type, but will test if it's discoverable when attached. The Nyon only supports 2.4GHz band. Unfortunately switching off my 5GHz band needs to take the network down and with a house full using WiFi it would chaos here, so I'll have do it when everyone else is out!

I know some old WPA supplicants had issues with longer passphrases, but it seems Nyon runs Android, looking at the open source disclosure notice and should have a recent version of hostapd, that doesn't have those issue.

That should have read you can sync "without" having your phone nearby. With BT you are tied to the phone to sync trips.

Maps don't sync over BT, if you have them downloaded to your phone it will stream them to Nyon but they won't appear as an offline map. You can't download maps directly on the device, a "No WiFi" message pops up. Same for operating system update.
I always have my phone with me so its no big deal. plus often it wont sync till the next ride. but I had issues with having wifi and BT connected at the same time had all kinds f problems I had to do I think two resets to clear it and left it on bt only and it worked fine, my old nyon I could not get it to connect with BT in fact my phone would not even show it and after awhile I finally realized maybe if I turned off wifi then it would work and some work and I got to connected to my phone and then a HRM.so maybe it was a older version of the software that caused uses. I went out and turned on wifi on the current none and it pops up with a update and map updates. I will see how it behaves having both on at once.

So, I setup a 2.4Ghz hotspot with the same WiFi name and passphrase, and they Nyon connected fine, network is saved with correct settings.

Unfortunately, when trying to connect the home WiFi and same network name and passphrase, the Nyon does not connect. It again doesn't show it as a nearby network. When selecting the network from the saved networks list and then selecting connect, it fails to connect.

It seems the Nyon can't work in a mixed 2.4GHz and 5GHz environment when the SSIDs are the same. Very frustrating.

Interesting. Good sleuthing.

My 2.3 and 5.0GHz connections are named differently. Your investigations may explain why my Nyon21 connection works.

Is there any reason why you are using identical SSIDs?

About half the routers on the market today default to same SSID for 2.4GHz and 5GHz network. This is especially true for mesh networks, where the same SSID is default configuration.

About half the routers on the market today default to same SSID for 2.4GHz and 5GHz network. This is especially true for mesh networks, where the same SSID is default configuration.
Okay. But can you change that?

Changing the settings on my older WiFi router is straight forward.

Unfortunately not with Netgear Orbi. It doesn't allow for separate SSIDs. It's also crappy, because you want the devices to roam between bands easily with good handoff.

I'm actually thinking it might be a 2.4GHz channel problem now, I'll manually select a different channel and test.

So it wasn't 2.4GHz, 5GHz co-existence problems, but WiFi channel.

Nyon doesn't support channel 13 properly, channel 13 is not used in North America, but is in the rest of the world. Some devices don't support it because they are configured for US only.

So I've changed my 2.4GHz channel and now it works.

So it wasn't 2.4GHz, 5GHz co-existence problems, but WiFi channel.

Nyon doesn't support channel 13 properly, channel 13 is not used in North America, but is in the rest of the world. Some devices don't support it because they are configured for US only.

So I've changed my 2.4GHz channel and now it works.
Congratulations solving it

Back