Smart helmet?

Alas, I think I need a new iphone with a better nighttime camera. My nighttime pictures don't really do it justice. I would describe the brightness of nighttime safety lights, and signals, front and rear, as being comparable to a couple LED penlights. The front white LEDs are similar to a small camping or BBQ headlights and cast enough light to make locking and unlocking your bike in the dark much more enjoyable, and obviously being seen, without harming peddler night vision, or dazzling oncoming.

Here are a couple pics with marker/position/nav lights and left turn signal. Hard to see here in daylight, but the non-reflective frosted lenses give an elegant "back glow" without any sharp LED cutoff at night. I like that. The turn signal and marker lights and other functions can all be toggled off or on from the app.

View attachment 56674 View attachment 56675

Laundry room night sim:

View attachment 56678 View attachment 56676 View attachment 56677

The design kinda reminds me of an old skidoo helmet from the 1960s...

View attachment 56679 View attachment 56680

Excellent photos... thanks. ;)

6 month consumer update: the company formerly known as Brooklyness re-branded to Beyond a month or two ago. Their V1S scooter subscription is their main revenue line. They have been providing some of these to NYC-area frontline workers and hospital staff, which is pretty cool of them. Alas, the Classon helmet is no longer linked to their main website, or listed as part of their product range. I'm hoping it's gone into a deeper R&D phase for re-release as a 2.0, rather than a permanent hiatus, since it is a good design. So far, I've been pretty satisfied with mine. The position lights, turn signals, front video camera, memory, battery life, phone sync, have all been great. Motorists see it, and have told me they like it. Overall weight and balance is good. The rear video cam/proximity alert, phone-integrated microphone and speakers did not come on stream as expected, and maybe they still will work on that. I will attach a ride video if anyone is int'd in that.

Last edited:
Pat, there is a solution for that:
View attachment 55116
Believe me or not but that's the proper solution. It is very easy to manipulate the Mirrycle the way you can see the whole road behind you but not your body or arms. Such setup also prevents the mirror against being broken on the bike fall.
I prefer to see a bit of my arms or body, as that gives me perspective, helps locate what's looming behind me.

How has the integration of built-in cameras in motorcycle helmets impacted the safety and documentation practices of riders? In what ways do helmet cameras enhance rider awareness and provide valuable evidence in the event of accidents or incidents on the road? Are there any legal considerations or restrictions related to using helmet cameras in different regions? How do helmet cameras handle various weather conditions and lighting situations, ensuring clear and reliable footage? What are some innovative features found in helmet cameras that go beyond traditional video recording capabilities? How do helmet cameras contribute to the overall riding experience, particularly for adventure or sports riders? What are some notable helmet brands that offer built-in camera options, and what differentiates them from one another in terms of performance and usability?
Good questions. For those interested, my Classon helmet is still serving me well. There is no monthly subscription fee. The forward-facing camera can record hours of commuter close-calls and near misses, as well as unique ride experiences. I’ve been able to send ride footage to my government rep to illustrate the real world differences between their delivered bike lanes, sharrow zones, unmarked road sharing, sewer grate/pothole dangers etc. As a safety advocacy and policy thank you tool, it’s pretty good. My helmet is first gen, without image stabilization, so making out plate numbers takes some focus. The most useful added tech features are the front and rear turn signals, visible at eyeball height - clarifying intentions from long distances. Also like that I can pass a thick ABUS chain lock through helmet and lock it with bike. The integrated Bluetooth speakers, rear camera and gyro activated rear brake do not yet have firmware activation (that I know of) but even without those features, it provides a lot of value and remains my go-to helmet.

No cameras, but the Unit 1 Aura looks amazing. Just pre-ordered on their Kickstarter.

Attachments

• IMG_2909.jpeg
    IMG_2909.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
The rear view (see behind you glasses have been on the market for many decades. Surprised they have not become very popular for cyclists looking for an alternative to the handlebar mounted mirror. When I tried them on, they seemed to work fine with little distractions.
Yes, I remember seeing them a long time ago. My problem is I need a small degree of correction, and I'm not aware that that's available on see-behind glasses. So I use a helmet mounted mirror, an EVT Safezone, which is the best of the bunch. It does block some forward view, but it's not hard to move my head to take in everything I need to see. It's a large mirror (2.25"), and the stem consists of ball and socket plastic bits. It is stiff enough to not wiggle around, but flexible enough to be adjusted for the best rearward view. I have come to depend on it, and would feel naked without it (even more so if I weren't wearing clothes)

Just updating thread that Beyond, maker of Classon helmet, went bust and the app is locked out and helmet bricked. A bit of a bummer, but that's the risk of pioneering.

Unit 1 Aura production is underway and awaiting Kickstarter delivery in a few weeks. Looking forward to upgrading to a MIPS helmet, and useful features without an app interface.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 11.44.12.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 11.44.12.png
    449.3 KB · Views: 41
Said it before, but our Lumos helmets have been awesome. They really increase visibility, even during the day. The Matrix gets BRIGHT.

For a camera, I run an Insta360 GO3 off of a Peak mount on the handlebar. I bet that little thumb-sized cam would fit in the rear cutout of their Ultra Fly helmet.

I'm considering a smart helmet - one with a rear camera (to solve the mirror issue), lights and turn signals (thinking that will help with visibility).

Does anyone have one they like enough to recommend? Would love to stay under about $150, but that price point is not rock hard.

Thanks!
I borrowed a smart helmet, thinking it might raise my IQ. Didn't work. At the end, I was a dumb as ever.

I borrowed a smart helmet, thinking it might raise my IQ. Didn't work. At the end, I was a dumb as ever.

This Guy's smart helmet worked for him:

Screenshot (74).png

It made him smart enough to convince the state of Arizona to allow it on his drivers license photo. :rolleyes:

Screenshot (75).png

Back