Smart helmet?

I think we're still a generation+ out from these products maturing. Intercom capability isn't a must for me, so the Lumos Ultra along with AfterShokz Aeropex bone conduction headset are what I'm leaning towards

I think we're still a generation+ out from these products maturing. Intercom capability isn't a must for me, so the Lumos Ultra along with AfterShokz Aeropex bone conduction headset are what I'm leaning towards
I think just about all the tech pieces are already there, and the Classon helmet would be a great "do just about everything" helmet. I only question the business model of monthly subscription for technology that doesn't require it.

I think just about all the tech pieces are already there, and the Classon helmet would be a great "do just about everything" helmet. I only question the business model of monthly subscription for technology that doesn't require it.
Oh I agree all the technology needed exists and is available individually. I think the Classon video looks cool, but realistically it's more of a sellable prototype than a mature product. Ultimately it doesn't matter how capable the hardware is if they can't create a great user interface that integrates all the functionality in an easy to access way.

Goldconch, I admire your optimism in backing a project like this and subscribing to features that are not yet functional or developed. There would need to be a lot more documentation on the website for me to be comfortable with it.

I have a Reevu motorcycle helmet. It has an adjustable periscopic rear view mirror at forehead level. It works quite well.

At one time they also produced a bicycle helmet (around 2007-2010) but I can no longer find them.

It’s about time someone brought this technology back to bike helmets.

I’d wear this motorcycle helmet for riding my e bike - if I didn’t look so much like a dork doing so.

14091F77-6E60-45C1-8D47-381A6ED6B68E.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh I agree all the technology needed exists and is available individually. I think the Classon video looks cool, but realistically it's more of a sellable prototype than a mature product. Ultimately it doesn't matter how capable the hardware is if they can't create a great user interface that integrates all the functionality in an easy to access way.

Goldconch, I admire your optimism in backing a project like this and subscribing to features that are not yet functional or developed. There would need to be a lot more documentation on the website for me to be comfortable with it.

Yeah thanks. I'll definitely familiarize myself when I get it in-hand and provide some first impressions. You're right tho, that the hardware is still a "working prototype" from the sounds of it. That's why I'm generally fine with small ongoing development costs and firmware updates as features to roll out in months to come. Like the Boomerang lock, these are crowd-funded ventures that have been gestating now for a few years and are only now getting to production (possibly at the worst time). Let's hope they make it. There is an initial review from December 2019 here with more pictures - esp the under visor view. It also describes the exaggerated double arm motions required for detection/signal blinker activation in the version 1 releases. I'm curious if that motion is still required and/or if I can reliably trick it into indicating a right turn signal with my non-throttle/ left hand while scrambling hand back to front disc lever as I arrive in the braking zone going 25mph. I don't want to crash test the helmet on the first day. Lols.

Thanks I saw that review when I tried to find any info that wasn't a promo piece. I hadn't thought about the turn signal gestures in relation to throttle control since I don't have a throttle on my bike.

TBH I thought it was a pretty decent solution if you don't have a handlebar control, considering the gesture solutions from other smart helmets basically require you to be a right handed Apple watch user. As a left handed Android user those solutions are useless to me.

It requires a 12v power source, but this might be a cheap way to accomplish what you’re looking for:

For anyone interested, I finally received my Classon helmet today (massive COVID logistics delay in local customs clearance, not any fault of Brooklyness). Surprisingly lightweight considering all the stuff inside. I honestly can't tell if it weighs any more than my existing Gyro, which is remarkable. Fit and finish is excellent. It synced out of the box automatically with the Classon App I had preinstalled on my iphone. Safety Lights (like nav markers on a car), and turning signals all work perfectly. Charging it up to 80+% then doing a firmware update. Also subscribing to all the features currently enabled (free for the first 3 months).

IMG_0912.jpg
IMG_0913.jpg
IMG_0914.jpg

IMG_0918.jpg

For anyone interested, I finally received my Classon helmet today (massive COVID logistics delay in local customs clearance, not any fault of Brooklyness). Surprisingly lightweight considering all the stuff inside. I honestly can't tell if it weighs any more than my existing Gyro, which is remarkable. Fit and finish is excellent. It synced out of the box automatically with the Classon App I had preinstalled on my iphone. Safety Lights (like nav markers on a car), and turning signals all work perfectly. Charging it up to 80+% then doing a firmware update. Also subscribing to all the features currently enabled (free for the first 3 months).

View attachment 56615 View attachment 56616 View attachment 56617

View attachment 56618
very interested to follow as was concerned too many features would go un-enabled for too long. Always happy to be wrong (but don’t tell my spouse.)

View attachment 56615 View attachment 56616 View attachment 56617

View attachment 56618
That looks great! Very interested to hear how it works!

The only classon app I see in the Google play store is for a scooter subscription app - is this only for the iPhone?

I'm not sure about the Google Play Store, but in Apple app store there are two Brooklyness icons. and I'm using the top one. When the app opens, the choices are either scooter settings or helmet functions. Video is saved to the app and you can download it from there. I also sent an email to Brooklyness to find out where I sign up for the $5 or $10/mo subscription and they responded that there isn't any subscription tier right now except free. I guess my teenager can go ahead and buy another virtual goldfish pack for her iphone game.

IMG_0922.jpg
IMG_0923.jpg
IMG_0924.jpg
IMG_0920.png

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the Google Play Store, but in Apple app store there are two Brooklyness icons. and I'm using the top one. When the app opens, the choices are either scooter settings or helmet functions. Video is saved to the app and you can download it from there. I also sent an email to Brooklyness to find out where I sign up for the $5 or $10/mo subscription and they responded that there isn't any subscription tier right now except free. I guess my teenager can go ahead and buy another virtual goldfish pack for her iphone game.

View attachment 56633 View attachment 56635 View attachment 56636 View attachment 56630
Looks like iPhone only for the helmet then, too bad!

Well it didn't show up in my Google play store when I searched :(.

View attachment 56615 View attachment 56616 View attachment 56617View attachment 56618

Can you post a few photos with the Classon helmet illumination shown at night?

Can you post a few photos with the Classon helmet illumination shown at night?
Alas, I think I need a new iphone with a better nighttime camera. My nighttime pictures don't really do it justice. I would describe the brightness of nighttime safety lights, and signals, front and rear, as being comparable to a couple LED penlights. The front white LEDs are similar to a small camping or BBQ headlights and cast enough light to make locking and unlocking your bike in the dark much more enjoyable, and obviously being seen, without harming peddler night vision, or dazzling oncoming.

Here are a couple pics with marker/position/nav lights and left turn signal. Hard to see here in daylight, but the non-reflective frosted lenses give an elegant "back glow" without any sharp LED cutoff at night. I like that. The turn signal and marker lights and other functions can all be toggled off or on from the app.

IMG_0937.jpg
IMG_0941.jpg

Laundry room night sim:

IMG_0943.jpg
IMG_0958.jpg
IMG_0956.jpg

The design kinda reminds me of an old skidoo helmet from the 1960s...

il_570xN.1924545510_f2fk.jpg
Ski-Doo kid helmet for sale.jpg

Back