Smart helmet?

Personally, I'm fine with a bar-end mirror, but if you want to be high tech and use your phone, a possibly cheaper solution than the GoPro is something like this (not necessarily this model)...

I haven't used it in a cycling situation, but for a marketing project, we were able to connect a spy cam wirelessly directly to an Android phone acting as a WiFi hotspot (I would imagine an iPhone's adhoc network would work as well). I don't recall exactly how long the built-in battery lasted, but it might be an option?

They're inexpensive, and even if you have to get 2 Anker Astro battery packs to up the battery life...

(1 for cam, 1 for phone), it would still be about $100 total. I only say the Anker Astro because it's a good capacity in a small enough package that would fit under a bike seat.

Just a thought. I love trying to jerry-rig things though, so it depends on one's preference for DIY vs. a more works-out-of-the-box solution.

Helmet-mounted mirrors are cheap and basically indestructible:

The easily clip onto your helmet visor, perhaps backed with a bit of electrical tape. All mirrors (and most cameras) have a relatively narrow field of view and with the helmet-mounted mirror you can easily compensate for that narrow field of view by turning your head slightly.

Brain pro for those that don't dig helmets:

Hövding 3 Airbag neck collar

GqS7N5.gif

AggressiveMisguidedGavial-size_restricted.gif

I'm considering a smart helmet - one with a rear camera (to solve the mirror issue), lights and turn signals (thinking that will help with visibility).

Does anyone have one they like enough to recommend? Would love to stay under about $150, but that price point is not rock hard.

The Classon by Brooklyness might check a lot of those boxes, though it is priced higher than your limit at $250 + a small monthly software subscription for updates and full functionality (which you can take or leave). It has gesture activated signals, accelerometer (brake light/crash detection), and running lights. Front and rear HD cameras with 6hrs memory. Serving the mirror function, there's blindspot detection and closure indications. I figure I don't need to know what colour truck or car is going to hit me, just that there's one entering my space. It can give route directions via brim lights. It also has bluetooth integration and speaker/mic functionality of some sort. I bought one and it is en route right now, and I'll be able to test it out and give some thoughts, prob next week.

96ba5abf9e797d5ea7c3f3accf5dfec6_original-1.gif

The OP did not respond/react when I offered that option early on. So, I'm assuming she's not interested in it.
I took a look at the helmet, and I can see why one wouldn't be interested. :)

According to the Classon site, it's $4.99/month for...
  • Front and rear cameras
  • Up to 6 hrs. of video storage
  • Automatic brake lights
And $9.99/month for the following additional features...
  • Guided Navigation
  • Blindspot detection
  • Phone connectivity: calls, music, siri
  • Automatic 911 call in case of accident
Ouch, is all I can say. I can't see why ANY of the features require any kind of subscription, other than it's easy for people to forget that there's yet another subscription fee on their monthly bills.

:D

The OP did not respond/react when I offered that option early on. So, I'm assuming she's not interested in it.
Fair enough, not for everybody. I rationalize that I have all sorts of monthly subscriptions already, and none of those currently tell me there's a car about to hit me. I'm also not phased by supporting innovation developers, which I can appreciate is something not everyone would be willing to do. If there were multiple competing products at a lower price point, they might not be able to command the subscription part. Maybe that will happen in time. For now, from what I can see, there's nothing else, so I'll pay with a smile on my face. Looking forward to receiving it.

Fair enough, not for everybody. I rationalize that I have all sorts of monthly subscriptions already, and none of those currently tell me there's a car about to hit me. I'm also not phased by supporting innovation developers, which I can appreciate is something not everyone would be willing to do. If there were multiple competing products at a lower price point, they might not be able to command the subscription part. Maybe that will happen in time. For now, from what I can see, there's nothing else, so I'll pay with a smile on my face. Looking forward to receiving it.
Let us know how it works for you!

Let us know how it works for you!
Sure if there is interest. I am excited and curious myself. I like my toys and gizmos!

Btw, GoPro has a COVID-shopper discount on their current camera line, which has taken another bite out of resell prices on used ones. For <$50, you might find an old used semi-disposable GoPro on Ebay with the Bluetooth to connect per @Timpo post. It's also a clever solution for any parent trying to keep track of kids that might lag behind on their bikes.

Fair enough, not for everybody. I rationalize that I have all sorts of monthly subscriptions already, and none of those currently tell me there's a car about to hit me. I'm also not phased by supporting innovation developers, which I can appreciate is something not everyone would be willing to do. If there were multiple competing products at a lower price point, they might not be able to command the subscription part
Don't get me wrong, a helmet with all that built in is a good idea. It's also a nice, clean looking design. That's why I took the time to look at it. :)

I just question the subscription model as "innovation", given that every single piece of tech in there works without a subscription (except MAYBE the 911 call feature?). It's seems more like applying a start-up "hunting for angel investors" model than anything else, but that IS my own bias against the unnecessary middle-man model.

Without a sub, I'd consider it even at $50-$100 more (though I've read some less than impressive reviews about camera quality), as it's far more functional than say a Lumos helmet that's also $250 (I've shortlisted the Lumos Matrix for my next helmet).

Enjoy|

Don't get me wrong, a helmet with all that built in is a good idea. It's also a nice, clean looking design. That's why I took the time to look at it. :)

I just question the subscription model as "innovation", given that every single piece of tech in there works without a subscription (except MAYBE the 911 call feature?). It's seems more like applying a start-up "hunting for angel investors" model than anything else, but that IS my own bias against the unnecessary middle-man model.

Without a sub, I'd consider it even at $50-$100 more (though I've read some less than impressive reviews about camera quality), as it's far more functional than say a Lumos helmet that's also $250 (I've shortlisted the Lumos Matrix for my next helmet).

Enjoy|

The $120 a year for full featured tech support is a premium I'm willing to pay, and I'll take one for the team if it helps development and brings the cost down for others longer term. Maybe there'll be something better next year, relegating this one to the island of misfit toys. Courier delivery didn't happen this week, but I should have it in hand next week and will be able to give some real world first impressions then. I've got some Boomerang bike alarms on the way and there will be small subscriptions for each of those as well. Lols.

Enjoy|
my challenge so far researching is finding the great lights and turn signals on Lumos paired with clear communications capacity. Livall, Sena, etc. not quite so far, so input and feedback very appreciated by users.

Back