Smart helmet?

I see helmets with go pro camera mounts on top, but wondering why a small camera can't be built into the back of the helmet. I guess I'm dreaming...

That's how motorcycle helmets' rear view cameras are placed though.

If you want to place a phone in front of you, so that you can see a screen, what's the problem with this:

Rotate Cycling Bike Rearview Bicycle Mirror Motorcycle Looking ...

Also, I don't think that would work.

1) You want a helmet with rear view camera
2) You want to use a cell phone as a camera display
3) You have to tilt your head forward to see your cell phone
4) The back of your head will be tilting upward
5) Therefore, you can't see the rear traffic because you're looking down and the camera is looking up
Hmmm... Maybe I want something that goes facing rear somewhere on the bike?

Yes! It’s called a REAR VIEW MIRROR! 😂😂😂😂
I don't want a mirror - they stick out too far from the ends of the handlebars.

I've been using one that straps on to my forearm and it works, but I'm looking for another solution.

Get a GoPro

I believe you can download an app to pair your phone with GoPro via Bluetooth.
maxresdefault.jpg

mount it under the saddle.

Fizik Mount System GoPro Arm (HVCY8YDEH) by Microdev

Then mount your phone right in the middle of handlebar.

Thule Smartphone Bike Mount | Thule | USA
That would work!

I see helmets with go pro camera mounts on top, but wondering why a small camera can't be built into the back of the helmet. I guess I'm dreaming...
You would think a genius somewhere would make something like you are describing for many like minded cyclists. Not sure why this has not become something more common with today's tech. Perhaps now is our chance to put something together for the future. Does not look that complicated IMHO. ;)

Most phone displays don't do all that well in bright daylight. Don't get me wrong, I love tech gadgets, but I am not convinced that this idea is practical. That said, I will keep reading this thread because ... like I said, I love tech gadgets.

I agree the handlebar attached mirror is always in the way, but it is cheap and it does work well. But I will keep watching this thread to see if someone comes up with a high tech solution that is better.

PatriciaK's suggestion is really no different then handlebar mounted mirrors which also require you to take your eyes off the road to look at the mirrors.

A helmet/glasses mounted mirror keeps your eyes closer to the road ahead, but sacrifices a lot of FOV and can be distracting for some riders.

There are some Scottish guys on Kickstarter making interesting glasses that look like they would be really distracting to me:
Here

View attachment 55091

Great idea... the key to success will be the actual product effectiveness. Looking forward to seeing a pair of mirror glasses in real life.

Last edited:

I've been using one that straps on to my forearm and it works, but I'm looking for another solution.
I use the type that straps onto the end of the handlebar grip mounted vertically. The only nuisance is it can easily go out of alignment. Not perfect for sure.

Get a GoPro

I believe you can download an app to pair your phone with GoPro via Bluetooth.
maxresdefault.jpg

mount it under the saddle.

Fizik Mount System GoPro Arm (HVCY8YDEH) by Microdev

Then mount your phone right in the middle of handlebar.

Thule Smartphone Bike Mount | Thule | USA
I do this with a GoPro5 under the rear rack and the phone on an aerobar, so I don't need to look down as much.

The problem I have is the image on the GoPro5 cannot be made into a mirror image to mimic the action of a rearview mirror.

Does mirror image functionality exist with other GoPros? Other cameras? Is there a mirror image app for the GoPro5?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Pat, there is a solution for that:
1591857593538.png

Believe me or not but that's the proper solution. It is very easy to manipulate the Mirrycle the way you can see the whole road behind you but not your body or arms. Such setup also prevents the mirror against being broken on the bike fall.

Clean? Better tuck all those cables in and remove the big bag.
😳
The bike is quite cable-icious!

And, if I didn't have that sleek looking bag, I would be looking like an open Swiss army knife, hauling my tools and gear in my pockets!

I just don't want anything else "on" the bike, and was hoping there was a helmet out there that might be an improvement for seeing what's behind me... And I do like a neat gadget ;).

Back