Smart helmet?

PatriciaK

Region
USA
City
Pacific Northwest and Piedmont Triad
I'm considering a smart helmet - one with a rear camera (to solve the mirror issue), lights and turn signals (thinking that will help with visibility).

Does anyone have one they like enough to recommend? Would love to stay under about $150, but that price point is not rock hard.

Thanks!

No personal experience, but check out this post in another thread.

But, you're gonna have a hard time finding what you want for that price.

Yep, I saw the helmet info buried in a post about lights and thought I'd start a thread where it's the topic of conversation instead of a side-topic 😉.

I'm thinking there must be a helmet with a rear view camera built in that has an app you download onto your phone, and Bluetooth to the app. You mount the phone on your handlebars, so you can see the camera display.

...Would love to stay under about $150, but that price point is not rock hard.

Given that most high-end bike helmets without fancy electronics are in that price range, I doubt you can find anything suitable at that price point.

I could give up the turning signal feature, if I could find one with the camera :cool:.

Would such a system use a head-up display or project the rear view image onto glasses?

Systems to do either generally cost more than $150, even without being on a helmet. And you would have an issue with battery life (and battery cost) as well.

Yep, I saw the helmet info buried in a post about lights and thought I'd start a thread where it's the topic of conversation instead of a side-topic 😉.

I'm thinking there must be a helmet with a rear view camera built in that has an app you download onto your phone, and Bluetooth to the app. You mount the phone on your handlebars, so you can see the camera display.
That's fine, if you're not satisfied with the option mentioned in the post I linked.

Would such a system use a head-up display or project the rear view image onto glasses?

Systems to do either generally cost more than $150, even without being on a helmet. And you would have an issue with battery life (and battery cost) as well.
As I mentioned, the display would be a Bluetooth connection to a smart phone mounted on handlebars...

A mirror would be safer than taking your eyes off of the road to look down at your phone
PatriciaK's suggestion is really no different then handlebar mounted mirrors which also require you to take your eyes off the road to look at the mirrors.

A helmet/glasses mounted mirror keeps your eyes closer to the road ahead, but sacrifices a lot of FOV and can be distracting for some riders.

There are some Scottish guys on Kickstarter making interesting glasses that look like they would be really distracting to me:
Here

f38acbffc5881575e973c24d622d5f03_original.png

PatriciaK's suggestion is really no different then handlebar mounted mirrors which also require you to take your eyes off the road to look at the mirrors.

A helmet/glasses mounted mirror keeps your eyes closer to the road ahead, but sacrifices a lot of FOV and can be distracting for some riders.

There are some Scottish guys on Kickstarter making interesting glasses that look like they would be really distracting to me:
Here

View attachment 55091

Interesting, but I no longer invest in Kickstarter, and they are not cheap. I'll wait and see.

No thanks, a mirror Is fine for my uses. There are enough distractions out there on the roads and I sure don’t plan on spending a grand for a helmet.

Why would it need to be heavy? Cameras are very tiny nowadays.

The rear view (see behind you glasses have been on the market for many decades. Surprised they have not become very popular for cyclists looking for an alternative to the handlebar mounted mirror. When I tried them on, they seemed to work fine with little distractions.

Back