Slime

Hi, can I alime my cross core? I'm not familiar with presta valve, can we do it on the yammies? Thanka
You have to look real close at a presta valve to see how to get the valve out. Look for the tiny flat spots. If you don't have a real thin tiny wrench just use needle nose pliers.

AND prestas are smaller then Schrader. The plastic tube that comes with the slime will be loose over the valve. I don't know what the solution for this is. Maybe a tiny hose clamp if you can find one.

AND prestas are smaller then Schrader. The plastic tube that comes with the slime will be loose over the valve. I don't know what the solution for this is. Maybe a tiny hose clamp if you can find one.
You might be able to use one of those Presta to Schrader adapters, assuming you can remove the core in both the presta and the adapter.

Forget the slime. When it fails and you do get a flat it's a mess. AND bike shops will hate you if you ask them to deal with it. As always YMMV! 🤭

Forget the slime. When it fails and you do get a flat it's a mess. AND bike shops will hate you if you ask them to deal with it. As always YMMV! 🤭
Definitely do not agree. Slime works great for small punctures in tubes. Not that much slime gets out of the tube. If you are worried about offending your bike shop just take the wheel off yourself, open one side of the tire, yank the tube out, rinse the inside of the tire with a garden hose and then give it to the shop for a new tire if that's what you want. Or wheel truing or whatever.

Definitely do not agree. Slime works great for small punctures in tubes. Not that much slime gets out of the tube. If you are worried about offending your bike shop just take the wheel off yourself, open one side of the tire, yank the tube out, rinse the inside of the tire with a garden hose and then give it to the shop for a new tire if that's what you want. Or wheel truing or whatever.
You don't repair or work on other bikes. THAT would perhaps affect your opinion. 🤔

You don't repair or work on other bikes. THAT would perhaps affect your opinion. 🤔
Most of us don't work on other bikes. That, from where I'm sitting means it works even better!

Take absolute worst case, you manage to blow a tube. The crap goes everywhere. The stuff is water soluble and cleans up very easily with a wet rag or a few paper towels. Been there! For the convenience and flat protection Slime (or similar product) offered, I'll roll the dice on that one rare occasion where I manage to blow another tube any time. 2 bikes (or more) for the last 6 or 7 years, and my only incident was that one blown tube - and I still don't know how I did that. One of the best idea around. It's cheap, it's easy, and it works...

Most of us don't work on other bikes.
But from queries here a majority use a LBS. NOT something most shops want to deal with IME. But if you caught other posts, you know I have been blessed with very few flats over my 60 years of pedaling. Maybe it’s my anal attention to tire pressure, tire condition, pre-fright inspections, valve repairs, and high quality rim tape, may all be my reason for the luck. That said I have two flats on two bikes and my arthritic hands mean I need a pal to repair. I’m thrilled to read riders doing their own tires have a success with those products. Like you many seem happy. . (They say “opinions are like butt holes, everyone has one.”)

Last edited:
My original reason for going with Slime (against my LBS's advice) was because I couldn't keep air in my tires without adding weekly (700c at 70psi). I changed to different brand tubes on several occasions over a couple of years, and finally installed Slime just 'cuz. I haven't looked back since, and have become a huge proponent. Seems like half of the tires I see in use are half flat. I have to wonder if that would still be the case if the use of Slime were more widely accepted - screw what the LBS's say......

If repairing flats was a good part of how I made a living I wouldn't want my customers using slime.
Exactly....

Fixing flats, and selling over priced tubes that STILL leak.....

Funny how strong some people feel about Slime. I'm pro-Slime, which is the only brand I've used, and I still have half a gallon of it in a jug, but I'm not at all against other brands. Slime works. What else is there to say? Okay, it's called Slime for a reason, but even a big Slime mess is quick and easy to clean up with a garden hose. I've never had a big mess though. I have had a small mess, so I know whereof I speak.

There are YouTube vids on putting Slime in tubes with presta valves. There is also a recent thread here about how generally useless presta valves are.... (I'm sure there are exceptions!)

TT

Funny how strong some people feel about Slime
I’m happy for those that find it a solution. I don’t have strong feelings about it. I imagine if I had the issues some have here I’d be on board. I’m just sharing the information I’ve gotten from LBS selling Bafang kits for eBike conversions. And the experience I had with a fella that didn’t tell me he was Slimed. :)

Back