Slime on New Tires

Cassidy

I purchased a new Ebike (Juiced). They came with Kenda tires however I wanted to upgrade to marathon to help avoid flats. But I wasn't sure if I should wait until these tires have some wear. If that is the case I wondered if anyone has used slime as a preventative measure, meaning take the air out of the tires and fill it with slime then inflate tires again. Thanks

Slime is certainly one way to go. That's probably what I'd do, and have done on occassion. And I'm cheap, so I'd keep the Kendas for at least 800 miles.

There are two kinds of Slime. Don't ask me how I know. Get the kind for tubes. And of course you don't fill the tubes with Slime, just coat the insides.

TT

Slime is certainly one way to go. That's probably what I'd do, and have done on occassion. And I'm cheap, so I'd keep the Kendas for at least 800 miles.

There are two kinds of Slime. Don't ask me how I know. Get the kind for tubes. And of course you don't fill the tubes with Slime, just coat the insides.

TT
Yes I bought the one for tubes, 8 ounces , they say 4 ounces per tire. Thanks

My Pedego came with Slime in the tubes and I've never had a flat. I've used it on other bikes with success in fact I've never had a flat when using Slime.

I run it in all our bikes, and our wheelbarrow, lawn tractor, and all other inflatables. The only thing I don't run it in is our cars!

Don’t expect your LBS to be very happy. Good tires, maintained at optimal pressure for rider weight and conditions won’t be subject to frequent flats. Slime is a mess when repairing.

My Pedego came with Slime in the tubes and I've never had a flat. I've used it on other bikes with success in fact I've never had a flat when using Slime.
I’ve never used slime and never had a flat. Go figure!

Been using green slime in all my tyres, even the Burley trailer, apart from the occasional nail and glass, there is a thorn that grows in patches of grass, cats paw, thorns are long enough to go through tyres with puncture protection.

Not worried about the mess since I change my own tyres, the Kenda tyres on my Juiced Ocean current lasted 5000km before the sidewall ripped away from the wire bead, replaced them with Schwalbe crazy bobs which are speed pedalec rated and much better bead support. Have done 4000km on those so far and no sign of problems

Cats head thorn, can go straight through a Kevlar lining

Cats head thorn

Last edited:
Thanks everyone just put slime in both tires :)
Don’t expect your LBS to be very happy. Good tires, maintained at optimal pressure for rider weight and conditions won’t be subject to frequent flats. Slime is a mess when repairing.
I suppose you're right about the LBS. Not so sure about optimal pressure. It seems to me that flats have way more to do with road conditions and dumb (bad) luck. Glad your luck, or pressure maintenance has worked so well for you so far. But, yeah, that's coming from someone who watches his tire pressures. If you don't ever use a gauge or otherwise ride with tires with way too much or too little air, you are kind of asking for trouble.

As for Slime and the LBS, it may be just as valid to say that Slime will keep you out of your LBS as often, if you even use your LBS for tire maintenance.

They don't call it Slime for nothing, but anyway, it's never been particularly nasty when I've had to deal with repairing or replacing a Slimed tube.

TT

it's never been particularly nasty when I've had to deal with repairing or replacing a Slimed tube.
In the end, that's what's most important. How it works for you. I find that properly taped rims, optimum tire pressure, steel long stem Schrader valves with Continental tubes just keep rolling. All city riding but lots of miles. Never have been lucky. Lucky was a one-eyed dog with no testicles.

I suppose you're right about the LBS. Not so sure about optimal pressure. It seems to me that flats have way more to do with road conditions and dumb (bad) luck. Glad your luck, or pressure maintenance has worked so well for you so far. But, yeah, that's coming from someone who watches his tire pressures. If you don't ever use a gauge or otherwise ride with tires with way too much or too little air, you are kind of asking for trouble.

As for Slime and the LBS, it may be just as valid to say that Slime will keep you out of your LBS as often, if you even use your LBS for tire maintenance.

They don't call it Slime for nothing, but anyway, it's never been particularly nasty when I've had to deal with repairing or replacing a Slimed tube.

TT
My tires say they should be 60 psi (Kenda K1088 Tire 700C x 45C (45-622) E-bike rated ), but says it should be about 75% of the recommended? Is that true? If not what would be ideal pressure?

My tires say they should be 60 psi (Kenda K1088 Tire 700C x 45C (45-622) E-bike rated ), but says it should be about 75% of the recommended? Is that true? If not what would be ideal pressure?
I don't know how to read that. It sounds like they recommend you air up to 75% of what they recommend??? You are probably okay within that range and should just try different pressures until you find what works for you. Terrain and other factors affect proper pressure. For example, you may need to air (way) down on soft sand and you might want high pressure for touring on pavement.

TT

My vote - play with the air pressure until you come up with something that works for you. On the high side (60 psi max) you'll have less rolling reistance. It's easier to peddle and will coast further. Downside being a rough ride. Bumps will telegraph up through the bike to your body. Lower pressure rides better, with less of that feeling every crack in the pavement.

Myself, I generally ride at max pressure.

Remember tires should be adjusted based on weight. C02 is soluble in Butyl Rubber and needs checking.

This written better than I can,
"
Find the sweet spot.
Tire pressure isn't a set-it-and-forget-it thing. Traditional wisdom says that higher tire pressure equals lower rolling resistance, because on a smooth surface, hard tires flex less and create a smaller contact patch. But no road is perfectly smooth. Properly inflated bike tires conform to bumps and absorb shocks. Overinflated bike tires transmit impacts to the rider, which sacrifices speed and riding comfort.

On new pavement, your tires might feel great at 100 psi, but on a rough road, they might roll faster at 90 psi. In wet conditions, you may want to run 10 psi less than usual for improved traction. And if you're a mountain biker who rides to the trailhead, keep in mind that while your bike rolls smoothly on the road with 40 psi, it might feel better on the singletrack at 30 psi."

Myself, I generally ride at max pressure.
I usually do too, but I'm a big fellow. I think that may be one of the factors in my low, extremely low incidences of flats or failed tires and tubes.

You might want determine the type of debris found in the typical areas in which you ride. For example, I ride through a commercial/warehouse district that has all manner of screws and nails. Sealants can help, but more often than not there's monster debris that is greater than the capability of any sealant or liner.

I had a friend run Slime and it seemed more difficult to clean up compared to Stan's. Stan's sealant is very popular, but on my fat bike commuter application, only seems to work about 30-40% of encountered punctures. I'm now trying Orange Seal Endurance. With any sealant, make sure to shake the bottle for at least a couple minutes before installation.

Back