Slime on New Tires

I’ve never used slime and never had a flat. Go figure!

We have something call a goat head thorn in Colorado that can be on sidewalks and roads and cause flats anytime. I've hit patches of them a couple times and had from dozen two dozen in my tires such that even the flat prevention fluid like slime could not seal them all because too much got between the tube and tire. After 24 hours the holes would be sealed and I could then pump up the tire again.

If you live in wet climate there probably are no thorns like this. You can't ride more than a couple days in Colorado some times of the year with out getting a flat if you have thin tires nd no slop leak. Frustrates me that none of the tire companies are making like a 5-9mm thick tire is 27.5 and or 29er in a 2.4 - 2.8 width for urban commuter ebikes. The Moto X 27.5 is pretty thick but I still get punctures with them.

We have something call a goat head thorn in Colorado
Thanks, yes, I lived in the Desert SW and my Utah friends have identical stories. OUCH. I guarantee I'd be looking for a solution and using anything to help. They sound nastier than nails!

Tire pressure is a subjective thing. Rider weight, ambient temperature, road conditions all come into play when choosing what psi to ride with. My best advice is to check it every few days and adjust as necessary. It's a given that you lose pressure over time.

Tire pressure is a subjective thing. Rider weight, ambient temperature, road conditions all come into play when choosing what psi to ride with. My best advice is to check it every few days and adjust as necessary. It's a given that you lose pressure over time.

I agree, just wanted to add that before going with Slime I had to add air to my tires (which are kept near maximum) once a week or so. After adding Slime, that need for constant checking has dropped dramatically. Once a month now closer to normal.

I don't have a lot of trouble with flats either, and was pretty frustrated I couldn't find tubes that would hold max pressure for more than a week! That's why I say, the reduced maintenance that Slime allows EASILY pays for any increased hassle should I need to change a tube for any reason.....

We have something call a goat head thorn in Colorado that can be on sidewalks and roads and cause flats anytime. I've hit patches of them a couple times and had from dozen two dozen in my tires such that even the flat prevention fluid like slime could not seal them all because too much got between the tube and tire. After 24 hours the holes would be sealed and I could then pump up the tire again.

If you live in wet climate there probably are no thorns like this. You can't ride more than a couple days in Colorado some times of the year with out getting a flat if you have thin tires nd no slop leak. Frustrates me that none of the tire companies are making like a 5-9mm thick tire is 27.5 and or 29er in a 2.4 - 2.8 width for urban commuter ebikes. The Moto X 27.5 is pretty thick but I still get punctures with them.

Im in Colorado as well and goathead thorns are my major flat creator. Started using Stans in tubes in 2006 and only 1 flat since then. Got my first flat a few days back from a nail. A certain trail I use has wooden pallets to bridge a wet section and I ran over about 4 exposed nailheads. Didnt notice it till about 45 minutes later. The stans in this tube was pretty old so it didnt surprise me. Injected a new 2oz stans into the tube inflated the tire and its been good since.

Since stans dries out. I initially put in a little more(about 1.5x) than the recommended amount in a new tube and then repeat about 6 months in. I replace the tubes after a year (although I have been getting lazy recently and have some tubes 2 years old).

I will get a flat within 1 or 2 rides without sealant.

As menntioned previously, a side benefit of stans in tubes is the tire holds the same pressure forever. Only need to add air every month or so. I did go tubeless with stans on a few bikes several times and hated having to always check air pressure before a ride

Last edited:
Appreciate this topic. My LBS offers Slime at a discount as a time-of-purchase "customization." They must not hate it too much.

Goats head, cats head, same or similar plant found where I live in northern areas of Sydney.au I did try tyre liners for a while but found they can be a problem where they will cut through a tube, as mentioned using slime has reduced the flats to almost nil, and the tyres hold the air pressure for longer periods.

The thing with the thorns is even if the tyre itself has puncture protection, if you pick a thorn up then go over pavement the thorn will be hammered in to just pierce the tube giving a nice slow leak.

My friend owns and runs a Pedego dealer and both rents and sells bikes. He's right on a rail trail and has a very good rental business. We had dinner with him last night and he was saying he had his first flat ever on one of his rentals. All Pedego bikes come with Slime and considering it's a gravel rail trail loaded with hazards I would say Slime is doing its job. It's Pedego Oyama in British Columbia.

I personally have used Slime first with motorcycles and now bikes and I've never had a flat while using Slime.

I came across a video on uTube the other night where a guy ( farm project ) I think compared several tire sealants and Slime won hands down. If you can't find the video let me know, he has a bunch and always compares something.

Last edited:
The thing with the thorns is that even if the tyre itself has puncture protection, if you pick a thorn up then go over pavement the thorn will be hammered in to just pierce the tube giving a nice slow leak.[/QUOTE]
That is true about the slow leak. Twice we have gone into the garage in the morning to find a flat that did not manifest itself on the previous day while riding. These are the best kind of flats to me so even with liners (or slime) I still want puncture resistant tires.

I don't know about Stan's, but Slime has versions for tubes and for tubeless, and it does matter which you use.

TT
For tubeless, the consensus today seems to be, from best to worse: Orange > Stan's > Slime tubeless.
For tubes, there is less difference btw Stan's No Tubes and Slime "Tubes" version, with Stan's drying faster and leaving less gunk inside.

1565446593596.png

Looks like Tannus are moving away from all-foam tires that work without tubes. Limited choice of tire sizes, depends on the region.

Last edited:
I'm a Slime user but I'm going to try Stan's, it appears to work just as well, is easier to clean up, and cheaper.

I cannot imagine any solid tire producing a very comfortable ride but I guess it is a tradeoff to be made if one needs guaranteed flat protection.

Back