Simon Cowell breaks back falling from ebike

I read it was his first ride in his courtyard on his new ebike. Probably didn't have enough time in the saddle to understand how quickly the torque can kick in (I had someone ride a cargo bike I had and went right into the side of a cargo container when the torque kicked in - it was a cadence assist system which just goes from nothing to full assist based on level setting which was at 3 of 5 levels). Will be interesting if he'll make some public comments about the accident.

if it was a ebike. anyone know the model?

He is a big fan of E-bikes. He used to own M1 Sporttechnk Spitzing and later he switched to Haibike Xduro with Yamaha motor.
His wife had owned Townie Bosch and few other models.

1596989477242.png

1596989383991.png

1596989428245.png

Sorry to hear about it and hope he recovers quickly. I suppose the bike performance was exciting, but it might have been too pitchy.

The no helmet part I concur with you, but what's wrong with riding a bicycle with sandals specifically?
Nothing if you have a high pain threshold. I avoided helmets for decades (1961-2020). Then at age 69 i fell and ended up with a goose egg and bloody head. Helmetless years are over...

I do ride with flip flops but typically only on slow park rides.

Like that it appears that he put Moto X on his Hibike Xduro (too many bikers think knobby tires don't impact handling on the roads but that is so far from true). I know that the M1 is probably available in a compliant Class 1 or Class 3 configuration but my guess is that his was/is an R model with a top assist speed over 30mph - not really a compliant ebike (something I think is necessary for ebikes to get more people out of cars for commuting - a common subject on EBR).

Hope Simon is OK and has a full recovery.

This is showing a very causal attitude towards what you are riding.
When I had a standard bike and was much younger, I had no protection.
When I purchased an Ebike, I essentially armored up by comparison, crashing at 20 mph is no joke in shorts and no helmet.

Back