SIMBB 29C Operation

Dave

I was confused as to the exact operation of the Simbb 29C operation as it pertains to pedal input from the rider. It does not have pedal assist as I have come to understand the term, however, it seems to offer a variation called " hybrid ".. Below is an email explaining rider input for those interested.

Hi David,

I appreciate you reaching out to use here at Optibike about the SIMBB 29c. You are in full control of the Optibike experience on the SIMBB 29c. You have 3 primary ways of using the Optibike:
  1. Pedal only = ride it just like a regular mountain bike. There is no drag from the motor.
  2. Motor only = with no effort on your part, engage the throttle and the bike just like a scooter will take you where you want to go.
  3. Hybrid = you pedal in tandem with the throttle engaging the motor itself. With the motor being at the bottom of the bike frame, you are riding in parallel with the motor. It's an intuitive feel as you pedal with the motor. Go the distance you want and climb hills with ease.
If you would like more detailed information about the Motorized Bottom Bracket (MBB) click here.

All new Optibikes come with an iron clad 90 day guarantee. Read the details here. I look forward to working with you David. Please give me a call if you have any questions.

Best Regards,
Neal

Hi Dave, thanks for sharing this exchange between you and Neal over at Optibike. He's a great guy and I'm glad he was able to clarify how the SIMBB system works. I'd like to add my own input here and describe how the bike worked during my review. Note that they are constantly modifying and improving their designs but I believe this to be relevant for the current system, that Neal was describing, as well.

The SIMBB 29c and other "super integrated motorized bottom bracket" designs from Optibike offer throttle mode only. There is no pedal assist mode as defined by the other reviews on EBR - meaning there's no cadence, pedelec or torque sensors that activate because of a rider's pedaling input. Now, this bike does "assist" your pedaling motion by turning the front crank vs. a rear hub motor that is completely disconnected from the chain rings, chain, cranks pedals etc. and this is what he means by "hybrid mode"

I realize this could be confusing but the fact is, you have to twist the throttle to make this bike go. When you do that, it will "assist" you by spinning the bottom bracket and thus make pedaling easier. Now, with a hub motor design if you twist the throttle the rear axle will be spinning and this will increase your speed and indirectly "assist" you with pedaling by adding energy to the system. Only in this case, if the hub motor bike had a pedalec or torque sensor, you could actually activate the motor hands free! To me, that's what true pedal assist is all about, it assists you based on pedaling actions. Maybe we should call it "pedal activated" mode vs. "pedal assisted" because any bike with a motor is assisting the pedaler... technically speaking ;)

Hi Dave, thanks for sharing this exchange between you and Neal over at Optibike. He's a great guy and I'm glad he was able to clarify how the SIMBB system works. I'd like to add my own input here and describe how the bike worked during my review. Note that they are constantly modifying and improving their designs but I believe this to be relevant for the current system, that Neal was describing, as well.

The SIMBB 29c and other "super integrated motorized bottom bracket" designs from Optibike offer throttle mode only. There is no pedal assist mode as defined by the other reviews on EBR - meaning there's no cadence, pedelec or torque sensors that activate because of a rider's pedaling input. Now, this bike does "assist" your pedaling motion by turning the front crank vs. a rear hub motor that is completely disconnected from the chain rings, chain, cranks pedals etc. and this is what he means by "hybrid mode"

I realize this could be confusing but the fact is, you have to twist the throttle to make this bike go. When you do that, it will "assist" you by spinning the bottom bracket and thus make pedaling easier. Now, with a hub motor design if you twist the throttle the rear axle will be spinning and this will increase your speed and indirectly "assist" you with pedaling by adding energy to the system. Only in this case, if the hub motor bike had a pedalec or torque sensor, you could actually activate the motor hands free! To me, that's what true pedal assist is all about, it assists you based on pedaling actions. Maybe we should call it "pedal activated" mode vs. "pedal assisted" because any bike with a motor is assisting the pedaler... technically speaking ;)

Court, As far as Optibike goes they now have a model (The Pioneer Allroad) "built overseas" "that has two methods of motor power control: a power on demand throttle and a pedalec system whereby your pedaling activates the motor power." This bike retails for just under $2,800. It comes with a centrally mounted 500watt motor and battery (center of gravity friendly). It looks like a sweet deal, and the cherry on top is if you don't like it, they are offering a 90 day return policy!

Court, As far as Optibike goes they now have a model (The Pioneer Allroad) "built overseas" "that has two methods of motor power control: a power on demand throttle and a pedalec system whereby your pedaling activates the motor power." This bike retails for just under $2800. It comes with a centrally mounted 500watt motor and battery (center of gravity friendly). It looks like a sweet deal, and the cherry on top is if you don't like it, they are offering a 90 day return policy!

Hah! Court... you beat me by three weeks. I just saw your video review of the PioneerAllroad. I'll check first before posting from now on.

No worries Calvin! I've been trying to catch up with all of these reviews I shot in November of last year... Still have a bunch of Pedego and Easy Motion ebikes to put up. I linked your comment so others can find the review too ;)

Anyone have the SIMBB yet? I am interested owner reviews. Wish the bike had pedal assist. I am also interested in how others are liking the fact the battery cannot be removed. Poses a problem for a commuter if you can't take the battery inside for a charge??

I have a feeling there are issues with simbb because i ordered 29c last april and still all i get are problems with parts availability etc......... NO BIKE YET!!!!!
Come on optibike, no more bullshit. Or refund my credit card

I have a feeling there are issues with simbb because i ordered 29c last april and still all i get are problems with parts availability etc......... NO BIKE YET!!!!!
Come on optibike, no more bullshit. Or refund my credit card

No bullshit, it really has been mostly issues with getting the parts made and made correctly. That's no excuse for being late on delivering these bikes, I just hope you can understand what's going on and that we aren't forgetting about you and everyone else who ordered SIMBB's or throwing you guys under the rug. We finally have most of the parts here to start building up the bikes currently on order so it wont be long until yours is finished.

Back