Shred battery lost in UPS shipment. Any tips on how to handle a replacement?

Rick B

The battery was scanned "arrived" in Sylmar, California, but is now considered "lost". Things that make you go "Hmmmmm".
If any forum users have had this experience and have some tips on what to expect, I would appreciate your comments.
I have a sad bike sitting here that wants to power-up and roll.
Thank you.

The battery was scanned "arrived" in Sylmar, California, but is now considered "lost". Things that make you go "Hmmmmm".
If any forum users have had this experience and have some tips on what to expect, I would appreciate your comments.
Thank you.
A very similar event happened when I sent a battery to EMP, back in January '17. They said they had finished the repair, and had generated a return label. The battery was supposedly picked up from their rebuild lab by FedEX, and never made it into the FedEx tracking system. The battery just disappeared!?
EMP sent an identical battery as a replacement and rescinded the $600 repair charge. I felt blessed to have a new(demo?) replacement battery for the total cost of $30 which was the hazardous shipping cost on the original battery. Ultimately, EMP soothed out the trauma by sending the replacement. I have no idea what happened to the original battery, but I assume FedEx made good on the value to EMP.

Who was the company / lab doing the work/modifications on your battery? If UPS has delivery confirmation then the replacement responsibility is on the one who accepted UPS delivery. Since you shipped it with a reputable carrier it must be insured and there was delivery confirmation??

Last edited:
Thank you.
What is "Sylmar CA" ...The final destination, the UPS Shipping Depot ? ...This is a really long shot. Assuming Sylmar CA is the depot,
perhaps UPS figured out the package contained a Lithium battery and the carton was not properly labeled as such ? ( Haz Mat etc )
and they've stored the battery ? This is a crazy guess.

I appreciate your comments but there's nothing more I can do until UPS finishes their investigation. The bike maker should not have to risk shipping a replacement battery through Customs and UPS only to have the first shipment pop-up somewhere. Thanks for the tip on EMP.

Back