SHOW us YOUR PIX here .... Odd, WeiRd ,UnUSuAl or EyE CaTchIng things from your rides

Mt hood looking like its lighted from underneath.
IMG_1490.JPG

Check out this FPV drone footage from the Red Bull Valparaiso DH urban race. You don’t even realize it’s being shot aerially until about 40 seconds into the video.

Guessing you use a modified single-speed MTB with wheels and spokes made of unobtainium to do that. Wonder what the fatality rate is for the pros? Not exactly a forgiving course.

Guessing you use a modified single-speed MTB with wheels and spokes made of unobtainium to do that. Wonder what the fatality rate is for the pros? Not exactly a forgiving course.
The annual event attracts the best of the best of extreme urban riders. Most rigs are heavily modified enduro or DH bikes with HD coil spring shocks and slack front ends with plenty of travel. The back end of these bikes take most of the beating.

The guy who won actually suffered an ankle injury during a practice qualifying run but incredibly still managed to pull it off. It’s amazing these guys don’t incur more serious injuries but most of the incidents seem to either involve blown tires (12:49) or tarmac slides (16:02).

If that doesn’t suit your fancy, perhaps a session of longboarding will. Notice any countersteering here? More drifting, IMO.

The number of ways to kill yourself on wheels seems to have grown dramatically since I was a young man.

OK, OK, my wife just reminded me that when I was a young man, there were no wheels.

Last edited:
The number of ways to kill yourself on wheels seems to have grown dramatically since I was a young man.

OK, OK, my wife just reminded me that when I was a young man, there were no wheels.
110 kph…..can you say ROADKILL. Extreme sports or sponsored events like these really push the limits of what you or I would otherwise define as bordering on insanity. Red Bull seems to be the big player in many of these adrenaline pumping stunts garnering attention for the top athletes while rewarding them handsomely. It’s intriguing to watch but one wonders how long before a serious accident will result or has already that we aren’t aware of.

Danny Mac, on the other hand, is a joy and his videos are always fun to watch.

Check out this FPV drone footage from the Red Bull Valparaiso DH urban race. You don’t even realize it’s being shot aerially until about 40 seconds into the video.

As an old lady I look at this and think of the impacts through to the spine every landing and I think the rider is looking at a very painful old age. If s/he makes it that long...

As an old lady I look at this and think of the impacts through to the spine every landing and I think the rider is looking at a very painful old age. If s/he makes it that long...
Agree, urban racing looks like a pretty stupid thing to do on many, many levels, including the accumulated subclinical damage you mentioned.

@Prairie Dog pointed out above that Red Bull is a major enabler in extremely dangerous "extreme sports" like this. Wonder what their legal liability might be as the inevitable fallout unfolds. (No doubt they've done everything legally possible to dodge any responsibility to the athletes.)

Also have to wonder where these urban racers train? Hard to imagine that they can get cities to clear training courses for them between major races. In which case, they have to endanger many residents going about their lives just to train for a sport of interest to very few.

This is classic Technological Imperative: Whatever can be done, will be done, however bad an idea it might be in the bigger picture.

Agree, urban racing looks like a pretty stupid thing to do on many, many levels, including the accumulated subclinical damage you mentioned.

@Prairie Dog pointed out above that Red Bull is a major enabler in extremely dangerous "extreme sports" like this. Wonder what their legal liability might be as the inevitable fallout unfolds. (No doubt they've done everything legally possible to dodge any responsibility to the athletes.)

Also have to wonder where these urban racers train? Hard to imagine that they can get cities to clear training courses for them between major races. In which case, they have to endanger many residents going about their lives just to train for a sport of interest to very few.

This is classic Technological Imperative: Whatever can be done, will be done, however bad an idea it might be in the bigger picture.
For these riders, I would think that most their training takes place in actual DH or enduro designated races. Valparaiso is simply a venue that offers viewers a unique perspective into urban racing. It’s not everyday that you can ride through someone’s house.

Events like these typically draw huge crowds which no doubt is a major influence for these riders further encouraging them to plummet down the street course at literally break neck speeds. These are, however, extremely talented pros at the top of their field and the more successful or popular they are the greater the payout or salary. Even amateur athletes can receive generous sponsorship deals. For many, the risk of injury is something that they are willing to accept in exchange for fame and glory to be seen as the best in their sport. Red Bull gives them wings might be more of an ominous signal to these brave or inane individuals. They obviously love what they do.

I was more impressed by the drone flying ability of whomever filmed that.......
That’s what I found to be amazing. A crack team of Dutch drone pilots with the aid of some sophisticated tech was responsible for shooting the footage.

Back