SHOW us YOUR PIX here .... Odd, WeiRd ,UnUSuAl or EyE CaTchIng things from your rides

Look at the ages of those involved ... WTF is wrong with people ? "
A mountain biker in Bellingham was stabbed after a right of way dispute on the Stewart Mountain Trail in Bellingham.

A post on the Whatcom County Sheriff Office Facebook Page reports that deputies were called to a trailhead car park in the 3500 block of Y Road on the afternoon of March 6 after a report of a stabbing with several parties involved.

A group of hikers had been hiking down the multi-use, bi-directional trail when they encountered a mountain biker going up the trail. It appears that neither party was willing to yield and an argument broke out over who had right of way. The Sheriff's report contains two separate versions of what happened next, one from the 69-year-old hiker named Dake Traphagen and the other from the unnamed 66-year-old mountain biker.

Traphagen was interviewed at the trailhead and claims that the mountain biker attacked him with his bike after the disagreement and they fell to the ground. Traphagen then claims that during the altercation he had pulled out a pocket knife and stabbed the mountain biker in self-defense to get him off.

The mountain biker was interviewed a few days later however and he stated that he had been riding uphill when he encountered the group of hikers and requested that they move aside. He indicated that he was trying to negotiate a technical section that had exposed tree roots and was clipped into his bike. A male in the group grabbed his handlebars, causing him to lose balance. He and the bike tumbled onto the hiker and became tangled up as the victim was still clipped into the bike. The hiker began hitting him and everyone was yelling for him to get off of the man. He then noticed that it wasn’t hitting, but that the hiker had a knife and was stabbing him in the arm and the leg.

The mountain biker left the scene after the altercation and 911 was called by the hikers. The mountain biker called an ambulance later that day with stab wounds and loss of blood. He was first transported to the local hospital then airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle due to the severity of his injuries. The final extent of his injuries are not currently known.

After two weeks of investigation by the local Police, Mr Traphagen turned himself in to the Sheriff’s Office yesterday and was booked in the Whatcom County Jail for first-degree assault and possession of a dangerous weapon (the knife he used in the incident was a spring blade knife which is not legal to possess in this state).

We wish a quick recovery to the mountain biker involved in this horrific incident. We will update this story as more news comes in."

A mountain biker in Bellingham was stabbed after a right of way dispute on the Stewart Mountain Trail in Bellingham.

A post on the Whatcom County Sheriff Office Facebook Page reports that deputies were called to a trailhead car park in the 3500 block of Y Road on the afternoon of March 6 after a report of a stabbing with several parties involved.

A group of hikers had been hiking down the multi-use, bi-directional trail when they encountered a mountain biker going up the trail. It appears that neither party was willing to yield and an argument broke out over who had right of way. The Sheriff's report contains two separate versions of what happened next, one from the 69-year-old hiker named Dake Traphagen and the other from the unnamed 66-year-old mountain biker.

Traphagen was interviewed at the trailhead and claims that the mountain biker attacked him with his bike after the disagreement and they fell to the ground. Traphagen then claims that during the altercation he had pulled out a pocket knife and stabbed the mountain biker in self-defense to get him off.

The mountain biker was interviewed a few days later however and he stated that he had been riding uphill when he encountered the group of hikers and requested that they move aside. He indicated that he was trying to negotiate a technical section that had exposed tree roots and was clipped into his bike. A male in the group grabbed his handlebars, causing him to lose balance. He and the bike tumbled onto the hiker and became tangled up as the victim was still clipped into the bike. The hiker began hitting him and everyone was yelling for him to get off of the man. He then noticed that it wasn’t hitting, but that the hiker had a knife and was stabbing him in the arm and the leg.

The mountain biker left the scene after the altercation and 911 was called by the hikers. The mountain biker called an ambulance later that day with stab wounds and loss of blood. He was first transported to the local hospital then airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle due to the severity of his injuries. The final extent of his injuries are not currently known.

After two weeks of investigation by the local Police, Mr Traphagen turned himself in to the Sheriff’s Office yesterday and was booked in the Whatcom County Jail for first-degree assault and possession of a dangerous weapon (the knife he used in the incident was a spring blade knife which is not legal to possess in this state).

We wish a quick recovery to the mountain biker involved in this horrific incident. We will update this story as more news comes in."
I think I will steer clear of that area - loonies are on the loose...

Beyond insane. Don't look up statistics ( they are hard to find these days and certainly not in most local papers) on shootings, murders and assaults. You won't be able to sleep at night.

That's sickly and childish.

Sorry, but this is not from one of my rides, but if it was encountered on one of my rides, it would be posted in this thread.

Space.jpg

So, the knife wielding bike rider wasn't a e biker? Just a guess..... The clip ins are a hint, the hard core pedal pushers with probably also a grudge against ebikers and hikers are some of the most entitled (in their minds) on the trails, I'm glad no one got seriously hurt but wow that is pretty funny in a twisted way. We e riders can afford to be more considerate to others as we have some help getting going again. A couple years ago, on a trail in town that is like this one, multiple use and bi directional, a conventional MTBR knocked down an 80+ year old woman, slowed a bit, (he knew she went down, and hard) and then rode off! He was not a local, but an outatowner, he would have had a new one ripped if our local riders (of both types) had got ahold of him. EDIT: I see it was the hiker with the blade, wow.

Last edited:
So, the knife wielding bike rider wasn't a e biker? Just a guess..... The clip ins are a hint, the hard core pedal pushers with probably also a grudge against ebikers and hikers are some of the most entitled (in their minds) on the trails, I'm glad no one got seriously hurt but wow that is pretty funny in a twisted way. We e riders can afford to be more considerate to others as we have some help getting going again. A couple years ago, on a trail in town that is like this one, multiple use and bi directional, a conventional MTBR knocked down an 80+ year old woman, slowed a bit, (he knew she went down, and hard) and then rode off! He was not a local, but an outatowner, he would have had a new one ripped if our local riders (of both types) had got ahold of him. EDIT: I see it was the hiker with the blade, wow.
Uh ... I think the biker was the one stabbed multiple times.

Do they have a name for it ? Trail rage ?
Logically the bike rider had the right-of-way. Much easier for those afoot to step out of the way for him to get by than for him to have to drag his bike out of their way. But it looks like their were no cooler heads present. He was foolish to get pushy since he was outnumbered and in a traffic argument you never know if the other guy is a psycho willing to shoot or stab you. I also don't buy his story about being clipped in. We all know how fast you can unclip. The bike guy screwed up. The assailant with the knife was more wrong however and will do serious time. Society is coming apart at the seams. Watch your six.

Logically the bike rider had the right-of-way. Much easier for those afoot to step out of the way for him to get by than for him to have to drag his bike out of their way. But it looks like their were no cooler heads present. He was foolish to get pushy since he was outnumbered and in a traffic argument you never know if the other guy is a psycho willing to shoot or stab you. I also don't buy his story about being clipped in. We all know how fast you can unclip. The bike guy screwed up. The assailant with the knife was more wrong however and will do serious time. Society is coming apart at the seams. Watch your six.
Here the rules are sometimes posted that say bikes are to yield to pedestrians and the max speed on some dual use trails is a crawling 10 kph. Now that I have matured ( last month ) I try to get along with walkers. Sometimes I get the same look from walkers that I reserve for offleash dogs. So I play nice now. All they have to do is take their cane or umbrella or the stick from the dog and jam it in my spokes , no knife required.

"Watch your six"? What does this mean?

This is what I was taught;
Trail-Courtesy-Yield-To-Sign-K-8263.gif

Similar signs are posted on several of our local public trails.

The National Park Service site echoes this guide;
  • Bicyclists yield to hikers and horses or other pack stock. Come to a full stop and step to the side to give the right of way. Be mindful of the plants or animals that are near the trail if you must step off the trail. Bicyclists should always ride within their abilities. Before your visit, check individual park regulations to see if biking is allowed.
More at;

Common sense you say? https://trailsbc.ca/travel-tips/trail-users-code-ethics In my area they have put a sign up telling cyclists to dismount and walk bikes on one particular .5 km long trail. This I find very frustrating because I have ridden this trail without incident for many years. I can only assume that one too many Jackass cyclist(s) have frightened the walkers into complaining.

Last edited:
Back