SHOW us YOUR PIX here .... Odd, WeiRd ,UnUSuAl or EyE CaTchIng things from your rides

There's still a little room on the left side of the house 🤣
20201116_075856.jpg

OK, another local 'What Is It?'

I took this pic yesterday while enjoying the beautiful fall weather. There were once a number of these in our area. They all ceased operation in the early 70's. This is the last one standing in our area. There are probably more in the high country, but that's another long bike ride for a summer day!
View attachment 71577
Hint: When operating these could be seen for miles.

What is it?
I’ve seen one in British Columbia off the Trans Canada Hwy near Sicamous and I believe it’s a wood mill or commonly referred to as a beehive burner. The one I saw was converted into a restaurant.

I’ve seen one in British Columbia off the Trans Canada Hwy near Sicamous and I believe it’s a wood mill or commonly referred to as a beehive burner. The one I saw was converted into a restaurant.
Yes I have seen them around here too. There used to be many of them but now they are disappearing as they should.

We have a winner!

Before the early 1970's every one of the local lumber mills had one of these industrial sized incierators, also known as beehive burners, where they burned all the mill's wood waste; sawdust, bark, log trimmings, everything. They'd push waste into the bottom doors with a small dozer and force air into the debris through the large pipe on the left of my pic to keep it burning day and night. The mesh domed top (covered by vines in my pic) would glow red at night. You could locate all the local mills by driving to any high spot and see the red glows from the burners after sunset.

In the early 70's new air quality regs shut down the last of these huge incinerators forever. The mills were able to find new commercial uses for their previous waste. Sawdust went into products like particle board for floor underlayment, doors, and cabinet frames. Bark went into landscape materials. Wood trimmings went into chip board that has now replaced much of the plywoods used in construction.

The San Francisco MOMA even has an Ansel Adams print of a beehive burner.

Edit - this burner belonged to the Yuba River Lumber Company located between Nevada City and Grass Valley.

Last edited:
We have a winner!

Before the early 1970's every one of the local lumber mills had one of these industrial sized incierators, also known as beehive burners, where they burned all the mill's wood waste; sawdust, bark, log trimmings, everything. They'd push waste into the bottom doors with a small dozer and force air into the debris through the large pipe on the left of my pic to keep it burning day and night. The mesh domed top (covered by vines in my pic) would glow red at night. You could locate all the local mills by driving to any high spot and see the red glows from the burners after sunset.

In the early 70's new air quality regs shut down the last of these huge incinerators forever. The mills were able to find new commercial uses for their previous waste. Sawdust went into products like particle board for floor underlayment, doors, and cabinet frames. Bark went into landscape materials. Wood trimmings went into chip board that has now replaced much of the plywoods used in construction.

The San Francisco MOMA even has an Ansel Adams print of a beehive burner.

Edit - this burner belonged to the Yuba River Lumber Company located between Nevada City and Grass Valley.
We've driven by it literally dozens of times during trips out to Vancouver Island and gained our attention on one occasion when the large restaurant sign was placed on the front of the structure. Always wanted to stop by there to check the menu out but never did. Looks like it was listed for sale back in Aug.

https://www.saobserver.net/business/shuswap-landmark-the-burner-grille-up-for-sale/

A bit more sleuthing shows that this particular furnace was moved piece by piece to its current location.
In their heyday, I can imagine what the surrounding air looked like in the distance when they were in full swing.

We've driven by it literally dozens of times during trips out to Vancouver Island and gained our attention on one occasion when the large restaurant sign was placed on the front of the structure. Always wanted to stop by there to check the menu out but never did. Looks like it was listed for sale back in Aug.

https://www.saobserver.net/business/shuswap-landmark-the-burner-grille-up-for-sale/

A bit more sleuthing shows that this particular furnace was moved piece by piece to its current location.
In their heyday, I can imagine what the surrounding air looked like in the distance when they were in full swing.
The Burner Grille, I'd definatley stop! 🤣

The Burner Grille, I'd definatley stop! 🤣
I wish we would have stopped by for a bite if not for an obligatory pic as an unusual venue for a restaurant. It appears that it received decent reviews when it was open for business and even made it on to an episode of the Food Network.

Santa Fe, NM is a ghost town at this time.

Attachments

• 01530A05-7C9E-444F-BD43-AB677289117B.jpeg
    01530A05-7C9E-444F-BD43-AB677289117B.jpeg
    625.5 KB · Views: 220
  • 069422D7-8978-467C-BB32-B1D3DF8C04F3.jpeg
    069422D7-8978-467C-BB32-B1D3DF8C04F3.jpeg
    262.2 KB · Views: 213
  • C992EE12-784F-4E29-8B3B-9B276DD523A1.jpeg
    C992EE12-784F-4E29-8B3B-9B276DD523A1.jpeg
    599.4 KB · Views: 203
  • F60D3EAE-510F-4F30-9ABB-5BAF1CA31AB0.jpeg
    F60D3EAE-510F-4F30-9ABB-5BAF1CA31AB0.jpeg