Show us pictures of where you ride your ebikes!

You've got the same bike as I do. I see yours is a 2019--mine is a 2023--has the reliability been good so far? :)
I have 7.000+ km km my Bravo & overall am still happy with the purchase. Other that normal replacement of tires & brake pads it has been fairly reliable. I did have to replace the planetary gears in the motor a couple of years ago, but that can be expected eventually on any hub motor. The only ongoing issue I have is the cadence sensor. I am on my 3rd one. It is not adequately protected from salt & water exposure IMHO & seems to fail every winter. I have coated the new one in epoxy and we will see how that holds up.

I have 7.000+ km km my Bravo & overall am still happy with the purchase. Other that normal replacement of tires & brake pads it has been fairly reliable. I did have to replace the planetary gears in the motor a couple of years ago, but that can be expected eventually on any hub motor. The only ongoing issue I have is the cadence sensor. I am on my 3rd one. It is not adequately protected from salt & water exposure IMHO & seems to fail every winter. I have coated the new one in epoxy and we will see how that holds up.
Thanks for all the great info--I really appreciate it. 👍 Are you still on the original battery?

This winter's been just one Pacific storm after another. Many arrive with a day of wind first, then rain. Lately, I've been riding the coast during these wind events just for the excitement — well, that and to see what the waves are up to. Heavy surf and sustained winds of 15-25 mph are common.

Since the low pressure centers are often roughly east of us when the wind fronts come ashore, the initial winds are often roughly from the south. And that means stiff headwinds and tailwinds in equal measure on these storm rides with little in between.
My memories of the iconic beach settings around that general area when I last visited many moons ago were similar to the images that you have posted. Serene, calm waters and beautiful sunsets. That being said, it’s always nice to see a change up now and again and I happen to be one of those who are quite fond of storm watch days during time spent out on the west coast of BC. Watching those high rollers come crashing down on the rocky shore is something to behold. Quite surprised to not see any surfers taking advantage of the conditions. Pelicans are also amazing to watch and we’ve seen many of them soaring high above as they stopover here during mating season. I’m sure this recent rough patch of weather will be fleeting and that familiar Cali sunshine will be back before you know it.

Quite surprised to not see any surfers taking advantage of the conditions. Pelicans are also amazing to watch and we’ve seen many of them soaring high above as they stopover here during mating season. I’m sure this recent rough patch of weather will be fleeting and that familiar Cali sunshine will be back before you know it.
Totally agree about the pelicans (our favorite birds here by far) and the beauty and excitement of the storms. As you say, we have roughly 6 months of storm-free weather coming up, so I'm taking in the drama while I can. Ain't afraid of no headwinds on an ebike!

The surfers here play a tricky game. Many of the popular breaks are "reef breaks" with shallow rocky bottoms. Get slammed down on that by a big wave, and you're dead. The "beach breaks" with sandy bottoms are safer but still treacherous in storm surf if you don't know what you're doing. The short periods of the locally generated storm waves increase the risks.

In the storm-free months, the surfers are everywhere.

Last edited:
Ouch
029E33D7-09E7-43EC-B71B-19082932D4D3.jpeg

Visited South Bay today, to check on the ice situation. The bay is starting to shed its ice--won't be long now till the ice is gone. :) The marsh on the opposite side of the road (with train bridge) is opening up nicely as well.

Attachments

• ebike-at-south-bay2.jpg
    ebike-at-south-bay2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 101
  • south-bay-mar-2023-3.jpg
    south-bay-mar-2023-3.jpg
    677.4 KB · Views: 100
  • south-bay-mar-2023-4.jpg
    south-bay-mar-2023-4.jpg
    619 KB · Views: 105
  • train-bridge.jpg
    train-bridge.jpg
    696.4 KB · Views: 110
Rode 22.5 mi to Oceanside and back today with road-biking neighbor D, mainly on the Coast Highway. D's the stronger cyclist, and he had the lighter bike and lower-resistance tires. But I still managed to keep up with a mix of PAS 1/9 and 0/9 — the latter mostly on the flats and downhills on the downwind leg home.

20230331_182938.jpg
On the way back, we stopped to hang with the "Beach Street girl" — the one on this old hand-painted sign for a day spa named Beach Street in north Carlsbad. We decided she should have a name.

20230331_194418.jpg

Her vaguely 1930-40s art deco vibe had us coming up with old Hollywood starlet names like Lana and Greta and Betty.

What do you think her name should be? And how does she carry that hat on her ebike?

Last edited:
Rode 22.5 mi to Oceanside and back today with road-biking neighbor D, mainly on the Coast Highway. D's the stronger cyclist, and he had the lighter bike and lower-resistance tires. But I still managed to keep up with a mix of PAS 1/9 and 0/9 — the latter mostly on the flats and downhills on the downwind leg home.

View attachment 150695
On the way back, we stopped to hang with the "Beach Street girl" — the one on this old hand-painted sign for a day spa named Beach Street in north Carlsbad. We decided she should have a name.

View attachment 150700
Her vaguely 1930-40s art deco vibe had us coming up with old Hollywood starlet names like Lana and Greta and Betty.

What do you think her name should be? And how does she carry that hat on her ebike?
Maybe her name is Hattie...
And that hat gets used as a parasail when the battery runs low.

No new ride destination just some pictures from my routine rides from homebase to workshop.
Bananas should be ready to boil in 3 weeks. I'm field testing an unbranded backpack that can be mounted on handlebars.

Attachments

• 20221206_080446.jpg
    20221206_080446.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 97
  • 20221206_080912.jpg
    20221206_080912.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 94
  • Screenshot_20221209-172840_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20221209-172840_Photos.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 20230324_192127.jpg
    20230324_192127.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 20230319_102446.jpg
    20230319_102446.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 98
  • Screenshot_20230331_080624_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230331_080624_Chrome.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 20230329_152755.jpg
    20230329_152755.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 20230329_212640.jpg
    20230329_212640.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 101
No ride today as it was too warm out and the trails would have been a bloody mess. Instead, I cleaned and serviced the drivetrain and brakes on the Wookie. It’s a beast compared to my other rides. Removing the front wheel is a bit different on the Manitou SL than most other fork axles in that it has a Hexlock which requires loosening a 6mm self-extracting bolt on the non-drive side then pulling out the 15 x 150mm axle on the other side. I also swapped out the metallic pads for quieter organic versions.

After checking the Wrathchilds for missing studs, I'm pleased to report zero casualties so far. 👍

GP__0724.JPG

GP__0726.JPGGP__0725.JPG

Your forks are backwards!!!!$ joking 🙃
I still don't understand advantages of having the bash guard position behind.

Your forks are backwards!!!!$ joking 🙃
I still don't understand advantages of having the bash guard position behind.
If you're referring to the bump steering stop then I agree and would have preferred that they were on the fork stanchions rather on the downtube for a less obvious look.

The forecast for tomorrow is calling for snow flurries and if it’s cold enough I’ll ride. If not, then Monday.

No ride today as it was too warm out and the trails would have been a bloody mess. Instead, I cleaned and serviced the drivetrain and brakes on the Wookie. It’s a beast compared to my other rides. Removing the front wheel is a bit different on the Manitou SL than most other fork axles in that it has a Hexlock which requires loosening a 6mm self-extracting bolt on the non-drive side then pulling out the 15 x 150mm axle on the other side. I also swapped out the metallic pads for quieter organic versions.

After checking the Wrathchilds for missing studs, I'm pleased to report zero casualties so far. 👍

View attachment 150775
View attachment 150777View attachment 150776
Wish there were more options out there for True fat EMTB especially full suspension!

Wish there were more options out there for True fat EMTB especially full suspension!
The absence of rear suspension in some form or another is a feature that I must admit is missing on this bike. Even a single pivot without articulating linkage would have been appreciated. I have gotten over it as I don’t notice it as much over the wintry terrain where I normally ride as the roots and rocks that I encounter along the singles are covered in snow or ice and the bigger tires absorb much of the bumps. The Mastadon Pro Fork with its 100mm of travel does a pretty decent job of soaking up any drops and ground chatter. It steers precisely and it or the Rockshox Bluto would make a great addition to most any fat bike. I can only see things changing as more manufacturers begin to catch up and realize that fat bikes are not only being ridden on sand and snow. I could see Trek possibly offering an e-version of their Farley in the not-too-distant future.

FarleyEX98_22046_A_Portrait.jpeg

Zipping around town on the new GoCycle. Lots of fun. Added fenders before the second shot… much cleaner riding. Last shot is of “Unsalted”, the boat she’ll be travelling on with us this summer.

IMG_1769.jpeg
IMG_1878.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1779.jpeg
    IMG_1779.jpeg
    437.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1796.jpeg
    IMG_1796.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1784.jpeg
    IMG_1784.jpeg
    741.5 KB · Views: 96