Shocker new frame required. Game over Specialized, will be moving to Trek.

Still reeling from the shock call 30 mins ago that my 2018 Turbo Vado frame is cracked and needs replaced entirely. This on top of the rear wheel collapsing leaving me 30 miles from home. (There is a thread on here where a bunch of people have experienced the same wheel problem)
Whilst it may be getting done under warranty, the warranty runs out in February and there is no way I trust this bike with no warranty. As a 1st time customer of Specialized, I am shocked at the shoddy quality of this bike. The UK call center staff really couldn’t care less either. It’s only the amazing staff in my local bike shop that have kept me sane.
I ran a £400 Halfords own brand bike for 6 years before buying my Vado 4.0 That bike took heaps of abuse and not once did I ever suffer one single teeny tiny mechanical failure. Move to a £3500 bike and it’s been awful. It also came up “motor error” on the display a few weeks ago but turning it off and back on seemed to clear it. But has caused yet more mistrust with my bike.
Shame, as I still think the Vado is a fine looking bike but the build quality (on mine anyway) has been undeniably awful.

tough break with a reputable brand. Disappointing to hear about the shoddy corporate support. At least your LBS has some integrity.

tough break with a reputable brand. Disappointing to hear about the shoddy corporate support. At least your LBS has some integrity.
Thanks Alaskan! Word on the forums is that Specialized have replaced their entire bikes when the frames cracked. I can only hope. But it certainly doesn’t sound economical to transfer everything from an ebike to a new frame so hopefully this is the path Specialized UK will take.

Whilst it may be getting done under warranty, the warranty runs out in February and there is no way I trust this bike with no warranty.

From Specialized website

GLOBAL WARRANTY POLICY

"We stand behind our frames—forever. This means we offer a lifetime warranty to the original owner against structural defects in material or workmanship on ALL models of Specialized-branded frames and forks. This includes seatstays and chainstays on full-suspension bikes."

Trek ebikes .... same big headaches as well...

Stromer, Specialized, trek this are all newbie ebikes .

I ride an ebike made by a110year old company
Zero failures and aBsolute security(Link Removed - Attachment No Longer Exists)

Sorry to hear about your bike @Turbo Vado Pip ! I had that same frame issue with my Como 3.0 a little over a month ago. I took it into the bike shop I bought it from and Specialized replaced the bike with a new one. The bike shop then moved my handlebars and racks over with nothing out of pocket. Took about a week and I was back riding. It was surprisingly painless and I didn't have to talk to Specialized at all as the bike shop handled all of that. Hopefully you end up having a similar experience!

For what it's worth, I had asked about replacing the frame only (I loved the matte black on the 2019) but it wasn't an option probably due to labor costs.

This on top of the rear wheel collapsing leaving me 30 miles from home

Wow, that sounds terrible! Haven't had anything like that but my rear wheel did break a spoke once. The replacement bike came with DT Swiss Industry spokes which I suspect are better/stronger so I'm hoping that won't be a recurring issue.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes if you will

To the OP: Hope you don't mind me asking, but what were the riding conditions that led to your smashed wheel and broken frame?

i got my 2018/2019 Nitro city S pedelec from them .The only Spedelec for those years.
It’s a great , fast and very reliable ebike if you can find one !
That's the point. Unavailable in my country while normal BH e-bikes are easy to get. I reviewed the market and then found only Specialized or Haibike or Trek S-Pedelecs to be bought. The choice of the Specialized was based on the silent Brose motor.

Sorry to hear about your bike @Turbo Vado Pip ! I had that same frame issue with my Como 3.0 a little over a month ago. I took it into the bike shop I bought it from and Specialized replaced the bike with a new one. The bike shop then moved my handlebars and racks over with nothing out of pocket. Took about a week and I was back riding. It was surprisingly painless and I didn't have to talk to Specialized at all as the bike shop handled all of that. Hopefully you end up having a similar experience!

For what it's worth, I had asked about replacing the frame only (I loved the matte black on the 2019) but it wasn't an option probably due to labor costs.

Wow, that sounds terrible! Haven't had anything like that but my rear wheel did break a spoke once. The replacement bike came with DT Swiss Industry spokes which I suspect are better/stronger so I'm hoping that won't be a recurring issue.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes if you will
My brand new replacement Vado 4.0 has now broken a spoke. It came with the supposedly better DT Swiss Industry spokes too. Dont know it keeps happening.

My brand new replacement Vado 4.0 has now broken a spoke. It came with the supposedly better DT Swiss Industry spokes too. Dont know it keeps happening.
Time to stop doing those Evel Knievel jumps. 😜
Seriously, I hope this is the only thing that goes wrong with your new bike.

Broken spokes were why I left Spec. Had lots of them and they were proprietary. When I asked to rebuild the wheel set with thicker spokes, they said they couldn’t. After two warranty wheel replacements and many other visits for stoke replacements, I sold my Spec stuff and walked away never to return.

Broken spokes were why I left Spec. Had lots of them and they were proprietary. When I asked to rebuild the wheel set with thicker spokes, they said they couldn’t. After two warranty wheel replacements and many other visits for stoke replacements, I sold my Spec stuff and walked away never to return.
I don't believe this

Baco Noir...what bike did you have the Roval's on?
I had a set on a carbon Stumpy- and never a lick of problems in 4 years of unforgiving riding. And I am 230 lbs.
And now I have a set of them on a gravel bike and a set on my wife's gravel bike. Again, no issues.
And lots of sets sold out of our lbs with never any issues. And some of these are on high end Levos, again with no issues.

No, not Bmw. Bh ebikes. A brand from Spain. Very good dealer support and warranty in the Us.

I would get either a Trek or a Bh.

That's the point. Unavailable in my country while normal BH e-bikes are easy to get.
I reviewed the market and then found only Specialized or Haibike or Trek S-Pedelecs to be bought.
The choice of the Specialized was based on the silent Brose motor.

BH has been manufacturing excellent quality bikes for over 100 years.

They use a variety of motors depending on the application... Brose, Yamaha, etc.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Back