Shocker new frame required. Game over Specialized, will be moving to Trek.

Baco Noir...what bike did you have the Roval's on?
I had a set on a carbon Stumpy- and never a lick of problems in 4 years of unforgiving riding. And I am 230 lbs.
And now I have a set of them on a gravel bike and a set on my wife's gravel bike. Again, no issues.
And lots of sets sold out of our lbs with never any issues. And some of these are on high end Levos, again with no issues.

Put them on my Niner RIP 9 RDO based on the great reviews. Bought them at the local Spec dealer and worked with them over about 18 months trying to get them running right. I was about 230 lbs at the time like you.

BH has been manufacturing excellent quality bikes for over 100 years.

They use a variety of motors depending on the application... Brose, Yamaha, etc.
As far as I know, BH doesn't currently produce S-Pedelecs. That was the reason I chose Vado 5.0 and the Brose motor was one of the good sales points for Specialized. If I wanted a mountain bike, I might consider a BH.

As far as I know, BH doesn't currently produce S-Pedelecs.
That was the reason I chose Vado 5.0 and the Brose motor was one of the good sales points for Specialized. If I wanted a mountain bike, I might consider a BH.

Take a look at the BH catalog... I found a few speed pedelec models up to 28 mph. ;)

1580077053185.png

You will find no Nitro on the Spanish (manufacturer's) website. I think Nitros have been discontinued.
@Ebiker01, am I right?

No, no, no. There is nothing wrong with Class 3 in Europe. R&M make speed e-bikes in Germany. Haibike make them in Germany etc. I myself own a Class 3 e-bike and ride it legally in Poland. The point is, BH bikes are manufactured in Spain not in the United States. The Nitro has a hub motor and I am convinced it was discontinued by BH together with their E-motion brand.

I must be using the wrong terms... Europe does not really have Class 3 like the US, only L1e-B without throttle. ;)

Regarding BH, you are correct that they dropped the E-motion brand are now just Beistegui Hermanos S.A. (BH)

1580099580329.png

That is correct. I meant -- in practical terms -- Class 3 was not that different from L1e-b. Let me tell you why. Big brands all support pedal-assist, no throttle. The max speed in both classes is 45 km/h or 28 mph. The same big brands avoid putting powerful motors in S-Pedelecs, keeping that at 250 W continuous power max. Or at least, that is what they declare. The notable exception is one of Yamaha motors with 500 W of rated continuous power.

Now, what would happen if you assembled yourself a pedal assist e-bike with 4 kW motor and 45 km/h max in most of European countries? I can bet you would not get the Certificate of Conformity at all or that would be a lengthy and expensive process. Even with my perfectly legal Vado 5.0, I had trouble to convince clerks to register and insure my bike... "How comes you want to register a 2017 moped in 2019?" was the first question.

I think Brothers Bestegui are not ready to present a brand new model of an S-Pedelec yet. Which is a pity, as I respect the brand very much and they could come up with something very interesting.

Last edited:
Back