Shimano Steps problem E20 E10 error

I have exactly same problem today. Can reset then happens again randomly. I believe it is loose connection between battery and terminal block. Hit a bump and it momentarily breaks the electrical connection. On closer look I see the top block with key is loose on the frame. Vibration has loosened screws. This makes sense as heavy battery can jump about. Tomorrow I tighten it up. See how it goes.

some close-out comments on the e10/e20 problem. I found the top key block is meant to be 'loose' within reason as this enables the battery to find it's best position. One screw was slightly loose that's all. However the real problem was with power connector pins on terminal block. I cleaned them up with metal polish on a cotton bud, then a wipe over with metho and finally a smear of petroleum jelly. Now ridden rest of week and no more problems. A lot of current across these pins especially going uphill. I suspect dirty contacts during high current demand drops the voltage seen by controller causing it to issue the E10/E20 'power lost' errors.

I have been having the same problem recently (October 2017). I have the STEPS fitted to my recumbent trike. The bike shop who fitted the STEPS do a lot of their own bikes with STEPS, and they inspected my setup and did software updates. Everything went well for just over a week, then four cut-outs on one 90-minute ride. I'm going to try Dave Rando's fix, and I'll post the outcome after a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
I am having the e10/e20 failure as well. I replaced the battery and that lasted for a few rides and then the motor cut out again. Next, Shimano sent new battery electronics and that lasted for 17 rides. I thought it was fixed. Now, it has failed 3 out of the last 8 rides. Yesterday, it failed SIX (6) times. It is random and it appears to happen independent of the road conditions. I do not know what to do because it has been going on since I purchased the bike over a year ago. Help. What is the location of the loose wire connection or oxidizing on the power connection block?

Back again. New battery didn’t solve the problem. Talked with a tech today at Landis Cyclery in Tempe, Az today. He says only time it would throw that error sequence is when controller detects a short or drop in voltage/amperage. He thinks there is a problem inside motor. Before I send it away to Shimano in SanDiego I’ll take Dave Randos lead and try cleaning the power connector pins and see if that resolves the issue. Riding lots of hills and mountains around Gold Canyon and don’t want to be without my bike,

Oh...and another thing. I am struggling to understand why Shimano can’t come up with a solution for all of us struggling with these issues?? And, where is Trek in this whole matter. I don’t understand why they just wash their hands of any responsibility. Perhaps a class action lawsuit would open some eyes -lol

Had exactly the same issue as described here, took the bike to dealer who solved the problem. There was a bad connection between the battery and the battery terminal on the bike, in my case probably caused by a small stone or something similar, stuck in between when inserting the battery. Terminal pins were slightly bent on the bike side. Pins fixed, software updated, 6+ months of problem-free daily use since.

Cleaned pins with a toothbrush and Sensodyne toothpaste ( didn’t have metal cleaner). Reinstalled battery and no errors for 3 rides now and counting. Plus, my bike and I have bright smiles now. Toothbrush tastes a little gritty now, though! Lol

My Shimano steps fails with E10 in under 42km, and I’ve done 1200km, used as a daily commute of 23km each way each day.
My bike is a Wallerang and I choose it partly based on the Shimano system. It’s a big old bicycle parts manufacturer and supplier, sure to be a good product.
Wrong, Shimano has been rubbish.
The bike shop has checked the system and follow Shimano recommendations. Their recommendation is that I remove and reinstall the battery.
Now, in order to get it fixed Shimano wants the parts, so I’m bike less for 2-3 weeks.
Lift your game Shimano, this is evidently a faulty system, acknowledging that and replace the system.
My advice, seriously consider the alternative Yamaha and Bosch systems, and discuss warranty services.
Hazel.

I promised a report in December but I have been abroad without my Shimano STEPS recumbent trike for several weeks.

The shop who fitted the STEPs to my trike did some tests and adjusted the orientation of the crank sensor. After four weeks of riding, totalling 350 km, I've had no recurrence of the problem.

One strange effect I have noticed is that when using the high assistance setting, and travelling at 25-26 km/hr, the power seems to ebb and flow slightly, like a tandem stoker who gives a sudden push on the pedals and then relaxes.

I hope others who have this E20 E10 problem eventually get satisfaction from Shimano. It mirrors other multinational giants like Apple, whose customers have to rely on user forums to get their expensive equipment sorted out.

My Shimano steps fails with E10 in under 42km, and I’ve done 1200km, used as a daily commute of 23km each way each day.
My bike is a Wallerang and I choose it partly based on the Shimano system. It’s a big old bicycle parts manufacturer and supplier, sure to be a good product.
Wrong, Shimano has been rubbish.
The bike shop has checked the system and follow Shimano recommendations. Their recommendation is that I remove and reinstall the battery.
Now, in order to get it fixed Shimano wants the parts, so I’m bike less for 2-3 weeks.
Lift your game Shimano, this is evidently a faulty system, acknowledging that and replace the system.
My advice, seriously consider the alternative Yamaha and Bosch systems, and discuss warranty services.
Hazel.
Hazel,

Do you know if the bike shop updated the bike?

I have been having E20 followed by E10 errors consistently for the past year. Bike has been to LBS twice (unfortunately the shop purchased bike from is not in business anymore) and they have followed Shimano's direction. So about seven weeks total without bike but issue not resolved. Just check system and update firmware.
Anyone have more evidence of the real cause of this problem?? and so solution?

I have been having E20 followed by E10 errors consistently for the past year. Bike has been to LBS twice (unfortunately the shop purchased bike from is not in business anymore) and they have followed Shimano's direction. So about seven weeks total without bike but issue not resolved. Just check system and update firmware.
I had this problem. A temporary cure was replacing the battery connector. It worked for 17 rides and then began again. Next, I broke the electronic shift cable so the tech at BWOL went in and rewired the whole system and even removed the motor temporarily. I have gone through 30+ rides and no failures. I think it is a connector/cable problem.

Hi Andrew, I had this problem with Steps drive after several thousand kms in all weather. If you check my earlier post, suggest a good clean of both male and female terminals (metal polish, ear bud, flat blade tool and bit of rag followed by metho wipe and finish with petroleum jelly). Fixed it and now over 5,000 kms without further trouble. There's a lot of current going across the connectors and any dirt or road crap washed in will make electrical resistance that the controller detects as fault. Typically happens going uphill (big current) while hitting bump (dirty connectors momentarily break contact).
Unfortunately sounds like many bike shops lost on this one and fall back on no-brainers like "change out the battery under warranty" or "software/hardware upgrade". With fault finding always handy to start with the electrical basics like dirty or loose contacts. Good luck!

I had same problem @2300k. 100% agree with what Dave above says this is a connector issue caused by fretting(vibrating and rubbing in electrical contacts which leads increased resistance) or dirt and dust ingress . Any contact grease(dielectric grease) will prevent it in future. After cleaning - apply petroleum jelly or you can buy a application specific contact grease from most autostores.
Di-electric grease

Picture below shows what worn contacts look like....once I cleaned and greased the contacts bike is now @4600k with not a single error since. Frustrating yes, but simple to fix once diagnosed.
Battery Contacts.jpg

I have had this problem too, I live in New Zealand. First happened after 800kms bike shop did diagnostics and couldn’t find anything, after it happened again lots of time they finally replaced the connector wire from battery to motor. Problem solved ! Nope after another 800kms E10 E20 error again. I have cleaned all contacts & have a water proof cover I put on engine when travelling, so know it isn’t dirty contacts. Bike shop are now replacing battery saying that is the problem. Time will tell but I don’t think it will help. It is winter now so I will not be riding it much so might be a few months before I click up another 800kms. It is a Merida e big tour 700

Back