SF Bay Area Maintenance

Will Hunter

Hi All

I recently got a Rad City, which has been a lot of fun.

However, there are couple things that I think i'd like checked out by a professional.

I assembled the bike after it arrived in the box. The back wheel came already attached, to the frame, but I am concerned the disk brake isn't aligned correctly. The wheel feel like it slows way to fast when freewheeling, and the brake squeals regardless of how hard I am squeezing.

I'd take a look at myself, but as more of the tech for the e-bike is on that wheel, i don't want to go poking around on what I don't know.

Any suggestions on places in the East Bay, or DownTown SF would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I don't know what's normal for your bike, but direct drive hubs generally don't freewheel very freely.

If your wheel is installed correctly, any bike shop should be able to adjust your brakes, assuming they're willing to work on ebikes. Some charge extra. Squealing is pretty common with disk brakes. If it's not bad, i'd just live with it. If it's too annoying, there are a lot of things to try. They might need to be cleaned and broken in again, or the caliper might be misaligned. Again, any bike shop can help if they're willing.

As brake pads wear, they'll need to be adjusted. If you can't service your bike yourself, it's important you find someone.

Good luck!

Hi All

I recently got a Rad City, which has been a lot of fun.

However, there are couple things that I think i'd like checked out by a professional.

I assembled the bike after it arrived in the box. The back wheel came already attached, to the frame, but I am concerned the disk brake isn't aligned correctly. The wheel feel like it slows way to fast when freewheeling, and the brake squeals regardless of how hard I am squeezing.

I'd take a look at myself, but as more of the tech for the e-bike is on that wheel, i don't want to go poking around on what I don't know.

Any suggestions on places in the East Bay, or DownTown SF would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Take your bike in to Sports Basement. They have one location in the Mission and one in the Presidio. You might consider calling them first just to make sure they'll work on your bike. I'm sure they will, as they sell ebikes, and your issue is something that's not ebike-specific. Alternatively, I could probably align your disc brakes in exchange for a six pack of hefeweizen – I've got a big bike maintenance stand in my living room and all the proper tools. I'm near Noe Valley.

Hello Will,

I had my Rad Rover inspected by Scott at Pacific E Bikes in Berkeley. Check out their yelp. He is pretty much a one man shop, however he knows his stuff.

If you bring it down to his shop on Th-Su he will inspect it while you wait without an appointment.

Back