Seatpost suspension on bi-suspension RM?

RMSDivine

Is anyone using seatpost suspension on a Superdelite or any other RM bi-suspension bike?
For instance the SRSuntour SP12-NCX.....
sr-suntour-sp12-ncx-sospensione-reggisella-o31-6-x-350mm-nero-4717385013513-5-l.jpg

Thoughts?

Last edited:
RMS: If you feel you need suspension seat-post on a FS e-bike, it might indicate: (a) badly adjusted damper (experiment with inflation pressure) or (b) you suffer from rapid vibration. In case (b) the only way to improve ride comfort is to reduce the tyre inflation pressure.

Yeah, I see that lowering tyres pressure helps a lot. Unfortunately city roads over here are quite bumpy, I will look for a softer saddle too, but was just curios about a combined suspension effect done by the seatpost suspension and my rear suspension, which is quite loose, (to such an extent which brings random pedal strikes on offroad!)

Any drawback? They say less control and a "wobbly" feeling...
I haven’t noticed any ill effects I’m not an expert so who knows. My full suspension fat bike is something I just ride dirt roads with and some trails not much pavement and when I use the (post) I only notice a different soft while handling perfectly.
Cheers

I think adding the suspension seatpost contributes to uncontrollable and wobbly ride (you quoted that yourself). Expect pedal-bob in the first place and it is the first reason not to.

My recommendation is to install Tannus Tyre Armour. Not only will it prevent a lot of punctures, but you can lower the tyre pressure considerably, or even on relatively high tyre pressure it adds extra cushioning and sucking up of micro vibrations. It gets 5/5 from me, with no downsides other than extra cost, and perhaps weight - but hey, we have motors so the weight becomes a moot point.

I find a suspension post a poor substitute for a dual suspension bike. Limited travel and limited adjustability are it's downfall. Take Stephan Mikes opinion. I ride a trekking bike with a suspension seat post, and have a full suspension Haibike. Absolutely no comparison for the ride between the two. Taking the trekking on a single track would be suicide to my back. Taking the full suspension means comfort.

I find a suspension post a poor substitute for a dual suspension bike. Limited travel and limited adjustability are it's downfall. Take Stephan Mikes opinion. I ride a trekking bike with a suspension seat post, and have a full suspension Haibike. Absolutely no comparison for the ride between the two. Taking the trekking on a single track would be suicide to my back. Taking the full suspension means comfort.
Not just comfort, but handling. A hardtail doesn't keep both wheels in contact with the ground as well as a full-suspension bike. This matters mostly off-road, though.

Last edited:
@RMSDivine: Dropper seat post is a luxury option. Allowing you to rest your feet on the ground while waiting for the signal change at the intersection 😊

And to add to this, it allows you to lower your seat on the fly, getting a lower centre of gravity for steep hills, on or off road.

And to add to this, it allows you to lower your seat on the fly, getting a lower centre of gravity for steep hills, on or off road.
That is of course the primary use of the dropper seatpost off-road. Steep descents are done with the seat dropped, standing on pedals, with the backside well above rear wheel to move the centre of gravity backwards.
I ride a lot in the snow nowadays. Since my e-MTB tyres tend to slip sideways, I often ride with the seat lowered halfway for better ride stability and to be able to support myself with a foot in risky situation. Comfort-wise, a dropper makes even getting off the bike easier!

Last edited:
Agreed. We have some steep roads as well as trails here (my typical altitude game on a ride is around 600m), and dropping my seat, makes those often fast descents, feel safer and more stable. I am extra cautious on roads now I am riding Nobby Nics, so dropping my centre of gravity with the dropper post also helps with my confidence.

Dropper posts are well worth it in my view.

Back