Seat / Saddle advice or opinions.... ?

First off, everyone’s personal seating ‘area‘ is different so suggesting anything is a crap shoot. I gave up biking for years because of pain/numbness in my crotch area. Improved saddle design (among other things) finally got me back on bikes consistently 10 years ago. IMHO, the open crotch design has made all the difference.
My choice of a Serfas E-Gel seat for my new Allant+7 has been very positive and I’m a big fan. Best of luck finding what works for you!
BTW, I’m not wearing any kind of specific bike shorts and noticed people aren’t mentioning whether they are or aren’t. Padded shorts have never worked for me but some folks swear by them.
708F09FE-1747-45C1-9C9D-8A106A740DED.jpeg

Last edited:
The Ebike snobs will probaby poo poo my choice, but my Giddy Up saddle has done the job and my keester is finally pain free!

Ha that's really funny!

My wife has a running joke about what new saddle am I going to try this week.
UNTIL
I ordered the Giddyup.

There ad is really cheesy, the waterproof covering is essentially a plastic bag, I hate the built-in rear light.
BUT
It is by far the most comfortable seat I have. I've tried a lot, name-brand to off brand.

The Giddy up is soft but not too soft. The sides along the cutout are a little wider and beefier. I have a Serfas RX and I find the sides to narrow and they hurt.

I don't know what it is but the Giddy up is just right. I liked it so much I have them on all my bikes.

My choice of a Serfas E-Gel seat for my new Allant+7 has been very positive and I’m a big fan.
Dittos. I replaced the stock seat on my e bike with a Serfas EG 8000E Gel Cruiser seat. It made a world of difference on my sitting bones. I couldn't tolerate the stock seat but I really like this one.

I have had my e-bike for about 4 weeks and been bit sore I thought it would get easier after over 500 miles but sadly nope so last night order a Brooks saddle can't wait to its comes on Tuesday , I know it will take a while to break it in, but I know it time will get better.

Although it's difficult to tell from the photo, when you say "down there", do you mean towards the front, or the back?

I'm guessing towards the front. :)

While saddle style is a personal choice, a LOT of discomfort can be easily alleviated by adjusting not only position, but angle, which is often overlooked. Again, from the photo, it looks to me that the nose might be too high, so angling it down a bit might take some pressure off of the perineum.

When I got my latest e-bike, with an Ergon ST Gel saddle, it was a bit too high in the front, and tilting it forward just by a tick or two did the trick. Different seatposts have different mechanisms for adjusting angle, but it's dead simple to do. Just take the right allen key out when you ride, and start tweaking...

This video covers how to adjust the angle of various clamps.

How To Properly Set Saddle Position - Common Mistakes & Different Seat Posts. - YouTube

If you can't find the right angle for you, then I'd start looking at different saddles.

I really like my Brooks C17, but my next ebike might be retrofitted with the new ebike-ready C67. It's a wider and more upright Cambium rubber-cotton design.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 3.07.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 3.07.48 PM.png
    249.4 KB · Views: 200
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 3.10.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 3.10.28 PM.png
    191 KB · Views: 197
There is German company called SQ-Lab that produces excellent if somewhat pricey ergonomic saddles. They send you a piece of corrugated cardboard which you press your sit bones into to measure the correct width. The „active“ saddles move with your pelvis. I replaced the factory saddle on my Cube Kathmandu with the 602 M-D active. It takes a wee bit of getting used to as you sit very high at the rear of the saddle but I no longer suffer from numbness in the nether regions ;-)

I've got some nothing burger seat Specialized put on my MTB from 10 years ago. It's just barely wide enough and not padded enough. I put a gel seat cover over it and it passes. Still fitting up the new present bike that arrived with a torture device where the seat was supposed to be so I put the old seat on it. Yesterday I changed the angle of the seat like 2 degrees up and moved it back about an inch. Criminitlees! A world of difference. I can stand it now. Just shows to go ya that small changes with seats can make big differences. :)

The Kinekt seat post helps a bunch as well. 👍

There is German company called SQ-Lab that produces excellent if somewhat pricey ergonomic saddles. They send you a piece of corrugated cardboard which you press your sit bones into to measure the correct width. The „active“ saddles move with your pelvis. I replaced the factory saddle on my Cube Kathmandu with the 602 M-D active. It takes a wee bit of getting used to as you sit very high at the rear of the saddle but I no longer suffer from numbness in the nether regions ;-)

I was wondering about those quirky SQ seats, and was going to ask if anyone had one. Those guys also make the funky grips that users on here rave about.

Yup. Got some funky grips too ;-)
Here in Germany, they have a 30 day test / no questions asked return policy and even take back products with some signs of wear. The saddle does take a bit of getting used to but sitting high and back enables other parts to swing low ;-)

As I begin looking into the possibility of a New bike seat, I wanted to get Opinions, and/or advice, from your experience.

My Issue is, periodic numbness ("down there" 🙄).
Sometimes within 3 or 4 miles of riding.
I understand getting a proper "set-up" / "fit", but in general I would like to get ideas from (youz guyz) your trials & errors regarding seats.
I've read about "Step" seat design, Firmer seats, sitting back further, etc.
But I'm always curious as to what the Forum has to say...........

My riding style is Upright/Relaxed
View attachment 41128
My current seat is the stock Giant seat on the LaFree E+1
View attachment 41129

Thank You,

Craig 😎
Your saddle doesn't look much different from my velo plush. I experimented with it, doing what I thought might make it more comfortable..I like to sit on the padded portion at the back because of severely bad winter road conditions (huge crashing bumps, so Suntour suspension post with choice of different springs added).
The crashing bumps are very much reduced, but the actual sitting discomfort could be reduced further, I think.
I thought to tilt the seat far forward to help sit on the padded zones only. The reverse of that worked better, tilting the "nose" up a just a bit, not too much. That seat tilt ( plus a little back or forward seat adjustment) can do a lot...

sitting high and back enables other parts to swing low
Correct.

I would like to test out some other seats but I'm not going on a seat buying binge, so I'm in "wait and see" mode now. Maybe some day they will let stores open again.

I have a Brooks b17 and a sprung Brooks b67.
the b67 is a mighty comfy seat.
Until fairly recently I rode a 4 rail Brooks B-72 made in 1966, but it died of metal fatigue last year
with a busted rail. Now I´ve got something like the Serfas RX shown above. Not as comfy
for me as the old B-72, but not bad. However the stitching began to wear out, so I covered it with
leather salvaged from a old recliner. Butts are like snowflakes, no two alike. The rider pretty much
needs to sort it out on his/her own. Good luck with that.;)

Last edited:
Here's my suggestion for a bike shop: Invest in, let's say 10 different saddles across a spectrum of shapes and styles. Have a Try Before You Buy program. The Customer gives the bike shop a credit card swipe for collateral, and can then try out any saddle for 3 days. If you like it, keep it. If not, return it and try the next one. The goal would be happier customers and more sales.

Here's my suggestion for a bike shop: Invest in, let's say 10 different saddles across a spectrum of shapes and styles. Have a Try Before You Buy program. The Customer gives the bike shop a credit card swipe for collateral, and can then try out any saddle for 3 days. If you like it, keep it. If not, return it and try the next one. The goal would be happier customers and more sales.
Many do.

Some in fact have a "saddle library" where you can check out a saddle and try it for a week.

I bought 3 of the Giddy Up brand seats. They are plenty comfortable for me 160 lbs and my boys 155 and 175 lbs. My only knock would be I wish the flashing light in the back had a USB port to charge vs the little batteries it requires and are a little expensive...

Some in fact have a "saddle library" where you can check out a saddle and try it for a week.

Golly, say howdily-doo to congenial Ike Godsey from all of us! Didn't think there were many surviving physical general merchandise stores in 2021. Lucky you!

In any case, my butt sensor needs <5 minutes to reach its pass-fail consumer verdict, or we can rebox and Prime it back to a more robotic Mr. Bezos.

db798e8ffbc6c7262d62cceacad814ff.jpg

Back