Seat / Saddle advice or opinions.... ?

CSH

As I begin looking into the possibility of a New bike seat, I wanted to get Opinions, and/or advice, from your experience.

My Issue is, periodic numbness ("down there" 🙄).
Sometimes within 3 or 4 miles of riding.
I understand getting a proper "set-up" / "fit", but in general I would like to get ideas from (youz guyz) your trials & errors regarding seats.
I've read about "Step" seat design, Firmer seats, sitting back further, etc.
But I'm always curious as to what the Forum has to say...........

My riding style is Upright/Relaxed
1573068797077.png

My current seat is the stock Giant seat on the LaFree E+1
1573069155542.png

Thank You,

Craig 😎

As I begin looking into the possibility of a New bike seat, I wanted to get Opinions, and/or advice, from your experience.

I understand getting a proper "set-up" / "fit", but in general I would like to get ideas from (youz guyz) your trials & errors regarding seats.

View attachment 41128
View attachment 41129

Thank You,

Craig 😎
Large, soft saddles can cause numbness 'down there' for me too. Firm saddles that fit my sit bones are very comfortable. I'm 6'-2" and 172 lbs, probably a fairly boney butt. With less fleshy tissue my sit bones are what hold me up off the saddle to keep pressure off the perineum and those nerve endings 'down there'. I find a proper fitting firm saddle is the best defense against pain.

Sit bones are essentially the base of your pelvic bone, the massive bone structure that encompasses the hips and base of the spine. I know that's a simplistic description. That base (sit-bones) is able to support you very well and will hold your body up keeping pressure from creating nerve pain. That nerve pain can do bizarre things like tingling and numbness in your extremities. Hands, fingers, feet and toes... and yes men that extremity too!

There are a great many articles on why firm saddles are comfortable. My saddle for the last four years is the Brooks B17 Imperial. It has the relief cutout to keep pressure off and allow airflow.

I purchased mine here (on sale):

It's a very popular saddle. Takes awhile to break in, but will last a long time. I've tried many saddles, as a matter of fact I own the Serfas e-boy posted above. Quality saddle, just didn't work for me. Saddles are such a personal accessory, no one size fits all. Just my personal experience.

View attachment 41128
View attachment 41129

Thank You,

Craig 😎

Hello, I'm far from saddle expert. I've heard similar comments to what JR posted and I agree... "Large, soft saddles can cause numbness 'down there' for me too.
Firm saddles that fit my sit bones are very comfortable. With less fleshy tissue my sit bones are what hold me up off the saddle to keep pressure off the
perineum and those nerve endings 'down there'. I find a proper fitting firm saddle is the best defense against pain."

It appears from your photo your bike has a large soft saddle ? When I bought my bikes I had professional fit done and I think it's was worth the money.
My saddle is sized to match my sit-bones and I have Kinekt 2.1 suspension seat posts which I love.

With the combination of the Kinekt seat post and an anatomically correct saddle, I can ride for several hours with no discomfort.
I must admit when Spring rolls around and I return to cycling I need a couple of hour long rides to 'toughen up'

The brooks B-17 would be too narrow to engage my pelvic bones. And I am a fairly small male, 68" high, 33" waist (28" when i was age 20), slight bones.
I do tip the saddle forwards to where my pelvis flares are sitting on it, and not right between my legs or in front. The back of my favorite saddle is about 8" wide. I had a 5.5" wide Brooks when I was in my 40's and had fat on my hips, but it all melted off age 62-66. I can't stand that any more. The purpose of the front of the saddle is IMHO to allow my legs to hold the bike up when I am standing or starting off. I don't sit on the front of the saddle.
I don't get skin irritation or chafing. I've ridden up to 6 hours due to headwinds, & sore filler under the back pelvic bones was the problem.
Uh, CSH, I'd tip your saddle forwards quite a bit if I was riding your bike. I might try that saddle to see if I could make it work. Looks about the right width.
Those skinny saddles are for IMHO people that stand up all the time & support their weight with their hands. My hands go to sleep if I put too much weight on them.

Last edited:
I was able to fix the problem that you’re having with the Brooks C19 all weather saddle , no more numbness and I can ride about 36 miles before I have to get off and take a break

I ride an average of 700 miles a month. At 6'1" 215 lbs, I am a bigger rider than most. I ride a Selle Anatomica H2 saddle (firm leather with cutout), on a Kinekt body float while wearing gel padded shorts. Works well for me.

selleanatomica.jpg

As much as having the proper saddle, having it adjusted properly is just as important, if not more so. Check out some saddle fitting videos on YouTube. I like mine about level. If it's tilted up ever so slightly, I get the numb thing going on. My e-bike seat is fairly large compared to my road bike seat.

There is no easy answer to your question. Every rider is different and what works for some may not for all. In any case, you're sure to get many knowledgeable comments & suggestions.

In my case, I've had numbness "down there" for over 30 years. At one point, my doctor advised me to give up riding. I've tried just about every kind of seat on the market and the only ones that work for me are the hornless types. You give up some control, especially when riding no hands, since you are perched on top of the seat rather than straddling it. It's like sitting on a bar stool rather than a fence rail.

My current favorite is the Spiderflex :

41269 41270

Another one that works for me is the Hobson Easy Seat:

An interesting article on the subject with other suggested products:

Large, soft saddles can cause numbness 'down there' for me too. Firm saddles that fit my sit bones are very comfortable. I'm 6'-2" and 172 lbs, probably a fairly boney butt. With less fleshy tissue my sit bones are what hold me up off the saddle to keep pressure off the perineum and those nerve endings 'down there'. I find a proper fitting firm saddle is the best defense against pain.

Sit bones are essentially the base of your pelvic bone, the massive bone structure that encompasses the hips and base of the spine. I know that's a simplistic description. That base (sit-bones) is able to support you very well and will hold your body up keeping pressure from creating nerve pain. That nerve pain can do bizarre things like tingling and numbness in your extremities. Hands, fingers, feet and toes... and yes men that extremity too!

There are a great many articles on why firm saddles are comfortable. My saddle for the last four years is the Brooks B17 Imperial. It has the relief cutout to keep pressure off and allow airflow.

I purchased mine here (on sale):

It's a very popular saddle. Takes awhile to break in, but will last a long time. I've tried many saddles, as a matter of fact I own the Serfas e-boy posted above. Quality saddle, just didn't work for me. Saddles are such a personal accessory, no one size fits all. Just my personal experience.

Will this saddle fit the LaFree?

Will this saddle fit the LaFree?
Brooks Saddles have standard saddle rails. So they fit all standard saddle clamps, which the vast majority of bikes use. I don't own a LaFree, but it looks to have a standard setup. I have seen some oddball clamps many years ago, not from current mainstream suppliers though.

First off, before you buy anything, I'd try raising your saddle height a bit. Try raising it about half an inch, and then if that doesn't work, try raising it another half an inch. One of the things that can be happening is that if your saddle is too low more weight is on your butt and less on your feet.

Second, talk to your bike shop about how they sell saddles. At a bare minimum, you should be able to trade in any saddle you buy and have its purchase price applied towards another saddle. Ideally they will have some saddles for you to put on your bike and try for a few days before making a purchase. If you can't get them to meet even the bare minimums find another bike shop. You wouldn't pay $40 for a pair of shoes if you couldn't at least try them on for size first.

Third, once you've find a decent bike shop, try some saddles out. Let them help you but listen to what your butt tells you when you ride. Your butt is the final decision maker.

Fourth, think about clothing choices. The most important thing is to have the least number of layers between your butt and the saddle. More layers slide and chafe. Padded shorts can be nice, but not strictly necessary (I do about half of my rides without them). I recently discovered triathlon shorts and find them excellent because they dry out quickly and efficiently wick perspiration (a sweaty butt is a sore butt).

Saddles I like:

1. Charge Spoon. Classic mountain bike saddle. Better if you are not riding fully upright. Reasonably inexpensive but not super durable.
  2. Sella Italia Men's FLX Gel Flow. Comfy but maybe discontinued.
  3. Ergon Mountain SMC Men's. What I mostly ride on.
Finally, you know as well as I do that the very best way to figure this out is to go get a bike fit. Some shops will do "mini-fits" for about $25. These can make an enormous difference in your riding experience and in how much you ride.

Last edited:
Back