Sduro Yamaha PW-SE clunky pedal engagement.

Shindig

I've just bought a Haibike Sduro fullseven 6 LT ebike and it's great. However, after doing 30 miles I've noticed that the pedal engagement is quite clunky. If I'm freewheeling and then peddle there is a loud clunk as the pedal engages the drives. I can feel it through the cranks. It's more noticeable when dabbing the pedals. If I spin the back wheel and then move the cranks until they engage I can feel the clunk every time. It feels like quite a hard clunk. Is this normal for a Yamaha engine ? The engineer in me says no. I compared it to a new bike and the new bike has a clunk but much softer.

This is also posted in the Yamaha forum.

I've just bought a Haibike Sduro fullseven 6 LT ebike and it's great. However, after doing 30 miles I've noticed that the pedal engagement is quite clunky. If I'm freewheeling and then peddle there is a loud clunk as the pedal engages the drives. I can feel it through the cranks. It's more noticeable when dabbing the pedals. If I spin the back wheel and then move the cranks until they engage I can feel the clunk every time. It feels like quite a hard clunk. Is this normal for a Yamaha engine ? The engineer in me says no. I compared it to a new bike and the new bike has a clunk but much softer.

This is also posted in the Yamaha forum.

I can confirm the same on Yamaha PW-X. This is due to the fact they have no torque sensor if my memory serves me right.

I'm curious about this as well. It seems my perception of the 'clunk' developed after I scraped a pedal of my Sduro FullNine 6.5 (I think that's the PW-X motor) firmly against some tarmac while riding to the grocery store. I'm having a tough time finding discussions with real answers about it online. Maybe I can get a video of it going on youtube and post it here. It feels like the drive engagement pawls would be a suspect. They ratchet on freewheel but spring outward to engage the motor drive when pedaling, but to my understanding there are only two or four pawls, depending on the model.

I took my bike to the LBS and they tightened the motor mounts, and said everything seems to be fine with the way the motor drives. My initial thought is to go hit some rocky trails and give it a stress test.

To address net200777's remark, I think the PW-X does have a torque sensor, but I say that anecdotally. When I pedal harder, I get more output on the meter on the display, so I believe this lends credence to my hypothesis.

Last edited:
I put 700 trail miles on a 2016 Allmtn+ with a PW motor before I sold it, and never experienced clunky cranks. The buyer has put another 500 miles on it since with no such problems.

Early this year, however, I got a 2017 Hardnine 4.0 (also PW) that developed the same thing you're all describing after about 40 (mostly) road miles. In my bike, it seems to be most prevalent at 15-20mph. I'll be watching this thread to see if any of you figure it out.

For now, I've chalked it up as a cheaper bottom bracket issue that I'll just have to hope doesn't get worse; the place I got it on clearance from is 3000 miles away! I hope you folks bought yours closer to home, and that your dealers can resolve the problem.

Please post again when you do! Thx

Last edited:
I'm curious about this as well. It seems my perception of the 'clunk' developed after I scraped a pedal of my Sduro FullNine 6.5 (I think that's the PW-X motor) firmly against some tarmac while riding to the grocery store. I'm having a tough time finding discussions with real answers about it online. Maybe I can get a video of it going on youtube and post it here. It feels like the drive engagement pawls would be a suspect. They ratchet on freewheel but spring outward to engage the motor drive when pedaling, but to my understanding there are only two or four pawls, depending on the model.

I took my bike to the LBS and they tightened the motor mounts, and said everything seems to be fine with the way the motor drives. My initial thought is to go hit some rocky trails and give it a stress test.

To address net200777's remark, I think the PW-X does have a torque sensor, but I say that anecdotally. When I pedal harder, I get more output on the meter on the display, so I believe this lends credence to my hypothesis.

Yes you are correct, I meant to say shift sensor. I think that's what haibike told me.

Not clunky for me in about 5,000 miles and over two years. My bike is a 2016 Haibike Sduro AllMtn Full Seven with Yamaha PW motor.

Update on my formerly clunking Haibike Sduro w/Yamaha PW:

I wanted to see if something in the drive unit sounded loose, so I removed all the motor mounting bolts (labeled "22Nm") and carefully pulled the unit from the bike. First I had to remove the right crank, and everything was tight except one of the motor mount bolts. It didn't seem loose enough to cause a clunk, but it was easier to loosen than the other ones.

When I shook the motor, it sounded solid. I re-mounted it and tightened the mounts to 22Nm. I reinstalled the crank and took the bike for a nice long ride. I'm not sure what step in that process fixed it, but the clunking is gone! Maybe it was just that motor mounting bolt, and I pulled my crank and motor unnecessarily ?

Ya, I had something similar, but it was a swishing sound. Took it back and they removed those motor mounting bolts one at a time, put lithium grease on them and re-torqued. Been fine ever since. They have to be fairly tight.

Take your BS and GTFO this thread. The OP had a problem with his Yamaha powered Haibike and it was resolved. Go advertise your Yamaha hardtails somewhere else, this is the Haibike forum........YOU ARE POSTING INAPPROPRIATELY

I recently took a 2019 Haibike Full Seven 3.0 for a test spin at a local shop (I am in the market for a new e-bike) and noticed a little of what you describe. It was not pronounced, and not something that I found particularly odd? This is an aluminum frame and has some fairly boxy tubes... these tend to amplify shifting and other noises. In your case it sounds like some torquing resolved that issue however.

My old Norco Shore VPS was a knock-box and was VERY loud when shifting under load or from rock hits / suspension bottoming out. But it was soooo much fun.

I like the specs on thes Haibikes, they seem to have a good parts spec and motor / battery combo for the money. How has yours been treating you since this was posted?

Hi everyone. Apologies for bringing up an old thread but I was wondering if in the last year has anyone else experienced this and found the problem or is it normal?

Have around 50 mile on my Haibike and have the same issue. I can feel a slight knock in the pedals when I pedal after coasting and I can also replicate the knock like shindig describes above.

Thanks

Hi everyone. Apologies for bringing up an old thread but I was wondering if in the last year has anyone else experienced this and found the problem or is it normal?

Have around 50 mile on my Haibike and have the same issue. I can feel a slight knock in the pedals when I pedal after coasting and I can also replicate the knock like shindig describes above.

Thanks
Did you get your bike sorted in the end? I’m not sure if mine is going what has been mentioned above.

Hi.
I have around 1000miles on the motor now with no issues. It still has the Knock but I don't really notice it anymore. I think it might just be the motor gears engaging.

I’ve got it on my Civante that I bought last August. Just over 3000 miles on the bike, and I most notice it if I’ve been riding my Giant gravel ebike a few days and get back on the Civante. The first few miles it’s mildly disconcerting, but it seems to lessen, or my awareness of it does, as the miles pile up and the rest of the bike is just so enjoyable I don’t care anymore. The dealer is 100 miles away and it‘s just not enough of a distraction to take it down there until it needs something more dramatic.

And boy, does this thing go after those few days on the other bike!

My less than 400 miles Urban Rush has recently developed this clunk when engaging after coasting. It wasn't there before, but came on infrequently at first, but now it's consistently there. There seems to be some play in the cranks too if try to wiggle the cranks.

Back