Scott e-RIDE Addict 30 and the world of easier hills

ikell

Region
United Kingdom
They are a bit good these ebikes aren't they?

The Genesis Equilibrium and the Look 566 eye up the new kid in my garage suspiciously. They are intimidated by its abilities, whereas I am intimidated by the humungous credit card bill coming down the line.

I tried a nearly new Bianchi E-Impulso road bike and was not impressed. And it was such a bargain. But, if like me you know in the first 20 yards, I realised it wasn't for me. Bloody bloody buggering bugger.

Reading up on the new X20 from Mahle, I was taken aback when Arragon's of Penrith, Cumbria, told me they had just received a Scott e-RIDE into stock when I took my Genesis in for a service. Arragons know a thing or two about bikes. They know a thing or two about selling them too. They let me sit on the bike, then take it for a spin before gently reeling me in, helpless as a landed trout to take my money off me. They are well worth a visit if you are in the Lake District or the North West Pennines. They are friendly, helpful and nice to deal with. Ok, yes they did give me a discount on the bike as well.

The e-RIDE Addict 30 is just fabulous. Fast, comfortable, fast, smooth, fast, controllable. And fast. At my age, hills are getting to my arthritic knees, but with the Scott I can push a button and steep hills become a much gentler proposition. Steeper hills require another push of the button at which point everyone knows you have got an electric bike because you are faintly out of breath while paramedics scoop the remains of cyclists half your age onto stretchers behind you.

So far the system on the bike is settling in nicely, giving me power when I want it and backing off when I don't. I love it and I get up early so I can go for a ride when it is still cool out. And that is dedication coming from me.

However (and you knew it was coming) the Mahle software on my iPhone is just dreadful. Abysmal. Not only are half of the functionalities not on the app yet (like the useful stuff), the app seems to suck up all the power from my iPhone 13 pro. Like 75% down to 4% in 17 miles. All to tell me what my Garmin Edge 530 tells me while I breeze along.

I'll write a review next week when I have done a few more miles to make sure I have a clue what I am on about.
tempImage46a00N.png

Last edited:
I've been interested in this bike since its first intro.
How do you like the riding position? As I understand, it's more of a racing position, rather touring, which is what I'd prefer.

I've been interested in this bike since its first intro.
How do you like the riding position? As I understand, it's more of a racing position, rather touring, which is what I'd prefer.
Arragons set the bike up for me and it is very comfortable. The handlebars are a little higher than my other bikes and the bottom bracket is a touch further back. So it doesn't feel like a racing position to me. At my age I want comfort and enjoyment, not speed and stress!

How is the X20 system holding up? The earlier ebikemotion product seemed problematic. Have they updated the iPhone software?

I've got my eye on it at the moment, specifically looking for a lighter/quieter version of my Creo.

How is the X20 system holding up? The earlier ebikemotion product seemed problematic. Have they updated the iPhone software?

I've got my eye on it at the moment, specifically looking for a lighter/quieter version of my Creo.
Hi Jack

Everything is fine apart from an annoying rattle which was cured when the bike went in for its 100 mile check over but is coming back again on rougher surfaces after a further 350 miles. Mahle sent my dealer a package which consisted of a new battery and some other bits and bobs, In the first 100 miles the power went off suddenly on a couple of occasions and the HMI went to red. I was climbing a steep gradient both times so did not appreciate having to shut the system down with a long press, then restart. However the X20 has performed flawlessly since the service apart from the rattle which my dealers is awaiting guidance for from Mahle.
It's a very quiet powerful system.

My favorite bike shop is also a Scott dealer and I love the look and powertrain of this ebike, but damn, I already have a road bike and three ebikes........

My favorite bike shop is also a Scott dealer and I love the look and powertrain of this ebike, but damn, I already have a road bike and three ebikes........
Well…don’t do what I did. I only wanted my Genesis serviced and struck up a conversation about the Mahle X20 with the staff. “We got one,” he said. It was nearly twice as much as the maximum I intended to pay for an electric road bike. I took it for a spin round the block and was hooked.

Unfortunately, I have to also tell you that I have not regretted buying it for a second. My mileage has quadrupled, my weight is now steadily reducing (I’m in that magical phase where every morning there’s a few more ounces off after a plateau of no loss). Three quarters of a stone in 6 weeks.

Sorry. Were you hoping I would try to put you off?

That is a thing of beauty. I look forward to you more long term review. I generally find that I have to put the financial hit behind me mentally and just enjoy whatever it is that I bought. Life is too short to fret over money that is already spent.

Sorry. Were you hoping I would try to put you off?

My comment fits in more with Shakespeare's quote from Hamlet...."The lady doth protest too much, methinks." :D
I wonder if Scott will bring out a gravel ebike with these components in the near future.

That’s a beautiful bike. I’m happy for you that it fits you well.

It appears, from the picture, that it has a proprietary stem. Would that be correct?

That’s a beautiful bike. I’m happy for you that it fits you well.

It appears, from the picture, that it has a proprietary stem. Would that be correct?
Yes, there are a pair of cables nestling under the plastic cap.

My comment fits in more with Shakespeare's quote from Hamlet...."The lady doth protest too much, methinks." :D
I wonder if Scott will bring out a gravel ebike with these components in the near future.
I looked at the Scott 2023 line up on you tube and didn’t see anything that looked like a gravel bike.

I looked at the Scott 2023 line up on you tube and didn’t see anything that looked like a gravel bike.
That's too bad. One thing I would rather not have on any bike I purchase is a proprietary stem with hidden cables. Just a person preference.

I am considering to buy one (probably the 20, difficult to get hold of any in Europe anyway). @ikell What is your experience with the torque sensor? Is it working fine? Which click pedals have you mounted?

I am currently riding a Specialized Vado SL from 2020 and while I really enjoy thids bike, I am now looking for something even more lighter and sportier, getting from touring into road racing, getting more challenged and achieving higher average speed. Considered the Creo SL but it¨s the same engine as the Vado SL and it is relatively heavy for an e-racing bike and in comparison quite expensive. However what works well with the Specialized engine is the smooth, albeit a bit noisy ride. Heard that the X35 was pushing the rider sometimes, which hopefully now is solved with the torque sensor on the X20 engine.

Last edited:
Here's a video demonstrating the effects of the various levels of assistance.

Thanks ikell for the nice summary and video (really good as there are close to none videos on the new bikes out there) . I ordered my Addict Eride yesterday evening, Will get it delivered within 1-2 weeks. It's the 20 model . Really looking forward to it.

Thanks ikell for the nice summary and video (really good as there are close to none videos on the new bikes out there) . I ordered my Addict Eride yesterday evening, Will get it delivered within 1-2 weeks. It's the 20 model . Really looking forward to it.
You got your new bike yet?

gorgeous bike. i love just about everything about it, including the red to grey gradient!!

as shown in the original photo, the riding position actually looks fairly relaxed, without much drop.

Back